It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitting up the Surplus store

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What would you recommend i pick up?

I already decided on an A.L.I.C.E. pack, a folding shovel, a compass, and pair of warm gloves.
What else should i pick up?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sforscott

An M35 and an M101A1.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sforscott
What would you recommend i pick up?

I already decided on an A.L.I.C.E. pack, a folding shovel, a compass, and pair of warm gloves.
What else should i pick up?

Super market dried food, fire starting kit, good strong boots. first aid kit, small shelter, like a tarp, strong cord, a good catapult/crossbow/bow/bolts or arrows (bolts are short arrows fired from a crossbow) crossbow/bow need to be at least 160 lbs draw weight, for range and kill power(for game).
You could always read the survival posts on ATS.com

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Water, food, first aid kit, flashlight, knife, rope, toiletries.

The answer to your question is subjective. There is no correct answer for everyone. The concept is, you figure out what your needs are and you prepare accordingly, the things I need or another person may not be what you need.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Hand pump to pump water with built in filter and some clorine tabs.

A block of magnesium to start fires.

Books on building a shelter.

THink about what you need to survie on a daily basis.

Wood for heat and sjhelter.

Water to drink
Tools to hunt

Fishing pole hooks.

Hell some hooks and a couple of spools of heavy 20 lb test line should do it.

A knife for cutting up meats and gutting.

Poncho or tarp to keep your shelter dry.

You can build a shelter out of wood and tree branches but you need to be dry or you will die of hyperthermia.

If you can buy a gun I would.

Or at least a bow and arrow.

You can stalk pretty good from a tree and take outt some turkeyas or deer or small prey.

Water Food Shelter start there. Good luck bud.

I am so glad someone is preparing.

It makes me sad to know that so many are gonna rely on the goverment to come and save them.

Stay alert stay alive....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
On my last trip I got a 12 pack of mitten liners.

They're wool and have thumb and trigger fingers. They were awesome all winter. Warm enough and they still let the air flow to keep you cool while running or hiking.

Got the 12 for like $4.

They had the mitten shell too but they were too hot and made manipulating things too hard so I passed.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I'm not sure, what you already have, but here are a couple suggestions.

LED forever light... no need for batteries or new bulbs, it is charged by shaking for 30 seconds and gives you a 5 minute charge, at that point you only need to shake it intermittently to keep the charge.

Flint...fire's important lol

High Quality boots, if you don't already have a pair. I'm sure a surplus store would stock military issue boots.

Water purification, tabs, filters, or something to boil water in. I recommend the first two, weight and space are important when bugging out. You can always use can's or scavenge a pot to keep at camp and boil water.

A tarp that can be rolled up and stored on the top of your pack.

Cheap poncho

The fold up shovel is great, I have seen a utility fold up shovel that has a pick axe on the opposite end of the shovel head, it also has a sharp serrated edge up the side of the shovel blade.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If you're going with ALICE gear, get a good rig to wear, an LBE (Load Bearing Equipment) will act as a force multiplier with your BOB. also add at least 3 different ways to start a fire ( Cig lighter, Blast Match, Water proof matches) Then attach a good climbing carabiner to secure to your LBE, (good for lots of things) a detailed water proof map of your state with a couple dry erase markers (different colors) Water purif. tabs, or a filter straw. Also, you can never get enough quality first aid. (I got an old GI first aid kit that is ALICE compatible and stuffed it with my own first aid gear.) On your LBE you should always keep gauze pad, and tourniquet handy. This is just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Any other questions, please ask, always willing to help.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Oh yeah flint was another thing on my list, been saving up dryer lint but i don't have a flint yet

Do they sell water filters and what not at surplus stores? i can understand the tablets but i didn't know if they sold filters.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I got my water filter at a local surplus store, they sell camping gear as well though. A couple of those straws will do you just fine, one for your your BOB, and one for your LBE. Oh ya, also, extra MRE heaters are great to have on hand, and usually sell for a bout a buck a piece.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Grab a few spools of para cord. That stuff is as useful as duct tape, maybe even moreso.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I bought alot of stuff Here for my next trip out. The prices seem to be good on food, and what nots.

Edit to add I just seen this and ordered one. link
edit on 19-4-2011 by SkipperJohn because: edit to add link

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Henry Survival Rifle.
www.henryrepeating.com...

It all come apart and goes into the stock, great back pack gun and it floats.

Its great gun for small game, and its accurate!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

go with the large alice pack Not the medium.. get a NEW frame too.. get a waist belt, it really helps in the comfort and stability. get a couple pair of "pilots" gloves. they are the green ones with leather on the palm side..

PONCHO and poncho LINER. make that 2 liners, they are the nicest blanket IMO
boonie cap.
spool of recon cord
get the newest cammies you can, milspec, as they are NIR (key element) all those redneck cammies like: mossy oak and reatree are bright white like casper the ghost under NVG's
the nicer wool socks.
wooly pully, (green sweater)
bates lites boots are pretty cheap, very comfortable almost like running in sneakers
newer version web belt
recon waist belt. it is like seatbelt material with simple buckle (called a riggers belt?)
mre heaters.

edit on 19-4-2011 by rebeldog because: ideas

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Gator

the trailer? m101a1?

NICE

those are PFC (pretty f-in cool)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
i recommend if the shtf really does come one day please please please DONT CHEAP OUT

please dont put your life on cheap chinese made knock offs which some surplus stores do carry if you havent seen that your lucky.

buy in pairs have a back up of a back up redundency can and will save your life

when the shtf hits dont get to that point damn i bought so and so but i saved $10 bucks

the quality of whatever you buy is paramount please always remember that.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipperJohn
I bought alot of stuff Here for my next trip out. The prices seem to be good on food, and what nots.

Edit to add I just seen this and ordered one. link
edit on 19-4-2011 by SkipperJohn because: edit to add link

I might have to buy there, although it takes the fun out of searching through a surplus store, i just found out that the surplus store near my house closed down.

But thanks for all of the help guys! keep it coming i've been writing your stuff down on a "shopping" list

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tygart
Henry Survival Rifle.
www.henryrepeating.com...

It all come apart and goes into the stock, great back pack gun and it floats.

Its great gun for small game, and its accurate!!!

For $205 and that light, why not?! Wow i'm amazed

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The surplus store is the only place I've seen the can opener (P38?) available. Buy a handful to share...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Just curious, What would i use that for? Personally i'm gonna be living off the land and hunting. As well as having MRE's just in case i don't get small to medium game.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join