It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't you Believe in God?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by mikesk8s247
Why don't you believe in God?

For the same reason that I don't believe in Superman

Brilliant! Loved that one. Yeah i'm a dis-believer too. So, a big invisble man who sees and knows all, lives in the sky and his sons a magic jew? Think its realy sad that people have to fill the gaps in their beliefs/understanding with god. Total joke. Fact

Thundersmurf...
Peace™

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Brilliant! Loved that one. Yeah i'm a dis-believer too. So, a big invisble man who sees and knows all, lives in the sky and his sons a magic jew? Think its realy sad that people have to fill the gaps in their beliefs/understanding with god. Total joke. Fact

Thundersmurf...
Peace™

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Reprobation

"One hundred years ago, some empiricists would say since amoebas aren't observable, they don't exist."

the true empiricist would say "they aren't observable, so I can't claim that they exist or don't exist." Empiricism insists that ANY claim be backed up by evidence, so, no; an empiricist would never use lack of evidence as evidence of lack of existence. it makes no sense.

People can make the very accurate statement that we have no clear-cut, concrete evidence of God's existence. That is not the same as saying "God does not, could not, and never will exist!" Atheists are free to their beliefs, but they have no evidence that God does NOT exists, just like believers have no evidence that he does.

and no, the fibonacci sequence and golden mean and stuff don't prove god's existence. we don't look at circles and say "they're everywhere! there MUST be a God!" there's only a finite number of angles and shapes that this universe can produce, and duplication of the same ones means nothing.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
All things being equal, what evidence is there that there is a God? Ok, so if not any hard evidence, what supports any kind of theory of why there would be a God?

I'll wait for the answer.

If you don't call this Earth and everything on it hard evidence then you must be denser than the matter that God created.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Okay, so I learned that (just like the rest of you) that this dude is some type of a Christian and the question itself was leading... not about the existence of god, but this person's god. I mean, ya.. that was pretty obvious from the start and laughed pretty hard at the dude who put up all the names of gods etc. Funny. Buuuuut, I think you guys will like this one I found a while ago, still hold this verse dear to my heart.

Christianity:
The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

If you don't call this Earth and everything on it hard evidence then you must be denser than the matter that God created.

Can you prove that I am denser than the matter god created? oh wait, no. you can't can you? Honestly, why even bring the religious argument up? you people (goddies) are deluded and mis-guided, but i can understand that some people aren't emotionally mature enough to cope with the idea that "we have no purpose, in the grand scheme of things".

Enjoy your god.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

I never mentioned the fibonacci sequence or golden mean...I put the proof for The Creator's existence...

If the empiricist accepts the existence of God for the sake of argument, then they must accept that God can't be grasped by the sensory perceptions. This is because only the material object or something in a place can be grasped by the senses. Again, if they accept the existence of God (meaning the One Who existed before everything - time, places, darkness, light, etc.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by enderthexenocide
Here is somwthing a lot of people ask me,"Do you believe in the devil?"

this is interesting but the answer is still no...... the devil has changed its image sooooo many times .... at one time rabbits were considered devils !! even goats .....

this ''devil'' was imagined somewhere in the darkages in pre - medival europe ........ the main purpose was, again , just to control masses .... like for example when you have a child (children are hyper active) , how do we get him/her to sleep at night ... we say ''if you dont go to bed on time the boogie man will come and eat you''

also if you say god is real so cant we say santa clause is god ?? atleast for children that is !! i mean, the logic behind santa clause is that ''if you are good you get presents and if you are bad you get coal'' .... apply this in a much large scale and you get got in order to control masses of people for political cause just like santa clause is used to control children ..........

now people ask ''what started the universe huh ??!! care to explain that??''
but then what created god?? huh??

humans are curious and want answers fast ........ to some the thought of us not knowing what secrets are held within this universe is mind boggling so they accept this ''god'' as it manages to explain most of this things ..... but eventually human race will get smarter

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Your atheism and insubordination is saddening to your Creator and fellow people.

Insubordination? What is "God" a drill Sergent? I never recall entering into a contract of obeying or fallowing god in the first place. I don't believe he is real. Not in the Christian sense. There is no proof of it. Absolutely zero proof. I believe in things that can be proven. I mean I can either live my life owing EVERYthing up to god and not enjoying one bit of it. Or I can ere on the side of logic and live my life as good, but as free as a person can.

If I can help, save, and be compassionate to people. If I can leave the world a better place than I found it, and yet "god" still sees fit to punish me JUST because I don't believe in him, then that is a god that I want no part of.

A god that destroys the world once, that gives his people the ability to be happy and do ANYthing but then tells them that they can't? A god that causes the atrocities and horrors present in the bible and then like a jealous lover demands you to not have any gods before him? (Why would he make this demand in none existed?) Let me go out on a limb here and say that EVEN if I had proof that this EXACT God existed. I wouldn't have anything to do with him.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

Even if I could set aside the simple fact that there is no evidence to support belief in your god, I could never believe that this being actually cared for us at all. The very idea that all of the atrocities that happen on this planet are because of some sadistic game that our progenitors failed is disgusting. Because our original mother and father ate some forbidden fruit that was dangled in front of them enticingly, we all must suffer all of our lives only to suffer eternally thereafter simply because we didn't believe that our "loving father" tortured his son to death to make up for the ultimate sin of simply being born a human.
If on the day that I die, I come before the Judeo/Christian/Islamic "God", find that he does exist, and am to face judgment by him, I will turn to Jesus, sitting to his right, and say, "thanks for the effort man, but you just can't make up for the $#!+ that your dad put us through." Then I will turn to the dude seated on the throne and spit square in his eye. I won't have to give him a reason why, he knows all. Then, I'll turn to my good buddy The Devil, the true champion of mankind, and give him a big ol hug and thank him for being courageous enough to stand up to the greatest sadistic dictator of all time. Then, together, we could jump happily into the fires of Hell, knowing that it is certainly preferable to spending eternity with a group of people so pathetically ignorant, cowardly, or hateful enough to subscribe to the wickedness that is the legacy of Monotheism.
Peace, love and freedom to all of you who are willing to stand up and fight for it,
Q&A

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf

Thundersmurf...
Peace™

exactly again lemme tell this again .......... people accept god only cause it fills the gaps as humans are curious and want answers .......... just like how early humans didnt know how volcano was caused and considered it as a punishment from a supernatural being ..... which evolved into modern god

for politicians god is just an excuse to control masses throught history ........ does any politician actually believe in the claims about god he makes... absolutely not ...... but its the only way he can ''connect'' to the people

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I do not believe in your "god" because I am one Human Being, not some boneheaded baboon. You talk about punishment and insubordination. This is your "god", and you need it because you are weak and ignorant. And you just LOVE being a slave, trembling in orgasmic fits while enjoying your putrid cell. And you definitely have serious issues concerning your own sado-masochistic behaviour. You are useless, and being aware of that, you are trying to drag as many as you can into your pit, so you won't be alone in the dark. You have never known love, and are afraid of everything including your own cravings and despairs. You are a failure, and there is no power in yourself to change that. And you need some illusion to carry you to the next day. This "god" is nothing more but the sum of all your weaknesses, failures and frustrations. I pity you and the likes of you. See a shrink, and cease masturbation. You shall never be a true member of ATS. Just a smelly fart.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by trisvonbis

Just...just..ow. I mean. I agree...in a way...but ow. Did you have to say it like that?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I wish I did
That way I could just live my life knowing that something will protect me..

give me eternal life

I would love to live in that bubble of ignorance and bliss.

It's not there....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Is it because of your fear of punishment for sinful things?
Your perspective of sinful things bear no relation to my fears.
These things are not for you to judge, even on behalf of your god.

Is it the idea that religion is full of hatred and violence?
Do you deny the evidence that promotes the very idea.

Or maybe something bad happened in your life and you wonder, how, if existing, can God let this happen?
No I'm pretty resigned to the nature of things and the fact that bad things happen

What people need these days, is God. Your atheism and insubordination is saddening to your Creator and fellow people.
To my mind the word insubordination is a poor choice to make when attempting to exchange in a point of view. Perhaps a degree of latitude will help in your quest for an answer to the thread title.

The God that I know punishes, but he forgives, and he makes that clear. My God doe's not use violence, the people of the world do. My God gives me the power of understanding, why bad things happen, and understand that pain is a form of strengthening, not physically but psychologically. This is not just my God, but it is God, whether you believe or not, he is still the one God above everything. God sent his Messiah to make things easier to understand, but it seems as if it made more people hate. In a thicket of thorns, there is a rose.
I think its good that you yourself have attained the spiritual clarity you so clearly wish for others.
You may have been given a power of understanding but rest assured there are other strands to consider. You sound as if you have found for yourself the answers many seek. I council you be comfortable in your assured redemption as all else must find their own.
But reading the above, I suspect you have made up your mind and that the question is asked not out of curiosity but in order to exchange in debate not engage as you proposed.

So I want to know,
again, I suspect not.

It may be because religion tries to persuade with words like insubordination, and punish,
I will ally my self to no cause through fear.

None of those people who just say God isn't real without explaining.
Because my creed is to deny ignorance and blind acceptance is not my way.
Religion demands acceptance, to not question the ways of arcane and historical stories.
The human race has progressed because of men, who the church tried to silence, questioned and denied ignorance. I wish to follow them. There are many others who feel that the price to pay for the blind obedience returns no dividend for the furtherance of the human race.
As a fellow human I am sincerely pleased that you are at peace with your god and that spiritual you are satisfied. That should make you happy. Do not be distressed that others do not feel the same way. We are just as happy as you.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
One the biggest follies humans can make is believing that the person next to them thinks and reasons in the exact same manner that they do. I believe your question was more intended to mean your god and not a god in general? I believe in more, I believe in limitless possibilities and the strength of human ingenuity. As for why I don't believe in the Christian version of god I will use two of its biggest statements of defense as justification and the problems of being judged in afterlife.

The two statements are: god gave man free will and god is testing man to see if they choose to love him. Both of these statements I believe are false. However, I if I stretch I may accept that the free will is a half truth. These two intertwine a bit so I'll try to present this neatly.

God took away any notion of complete free will once the notion of reward and punishment was introduced. This also completely nullifies the second statement that god is testing man. You see this single act of introducing reward and punishment terribly skews the results. So, if god is using this as a method it is not one worthy of a being with infinite intelligence. Take this analogy of a math teacher for example:

One morning a sixth grade math teacher decided she wanted to see how many of her students would stay after class to take a math test. Now, compare the following two scenarios and decide which one would yield the more honest and accurate result.

1) At the end of the day she tells her students that they may stay after for an extra math test. There will be no grading or punishment. Just those that wish to stay for whatever reason may do so.

2)At the end of the day she tells her students that she is having an extra math test after class today. They may choose to stay or go it is up to them but if they stay and get over 90% right they get $1,000 and if they choose to leave they will have detention for the rest of the year.

The second scenario will undoubtedly skew her results. When she goes and tells the Principal that all of her students voluntarily decided to stay after class to take an extra math test is she really being honest despite her saying she gave them a choice?

To further argue that god does not abide by the concept of free all one needs to do is take the cases of Sodom and Gomorrah and the flood into careful consideration. If god firmly believed in free will and did not know the results of their actions than he " took away" their free will by destroying the people. O.K. maybe the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were displeasing to him but how did he know that maybe just maybe in a years time the people would see the error of their ways and become a shining example of all that he considered to be just and true? Did he not deprive them of a chance to live in paradise? If you argue god did know it brings me to the final punishment in an afterlife. God made the rules and made the punishment knowing people would suffer eternally because that's just the way he made it. Not a particularly loving act. Then, there are those whose brain chemistry is different. Should Sally suffer because she didn't have access to medication that would help her beat the depression that the mind god gave her caused. People have predispositions to many things so why should the deck be stacked for some and not others. It is much easier for a full person to deny themselves a meal than it is for starving person.

God apparently sent his only son to save us. Once again this was by his design and for what? To save us? From who? God? Wouldn't it have been simpler to just forgive mankind? Or maybe take a nice basket of fruit as an apology instead of setting up the rules so that your own son has to die to save people from you who can do anything including change the prior silly rule?

You and everyone else can believe in what they want there is nothing wrong with that. It is your reality be happy in it just realize it is not everyone's.

edit on 19-4-2011 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Wise words from a lion.

These kinds of things happen every day in Narnia.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why? Well its definitely not fear of punishment for sinful things as I have seen many a terrible things happen to good people. And plenty of good things happen to evil men. The OP's first reason is judgemental and indicative of how a typical christian sees the world.

My reason? Logic

There are 6.5 billion people on this planet. Out of that there are:
A billion plus christians
A billion plus muslims
Almost a billion hindus
And a mixture of everything from atheism to zoroastrianism for the rest of the world.

And all of them are arrogant enough to claim they are right.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I don't believe in lots of mythical creatures, "God" is no different.

I have no fear of death, I know that one day I will die and that will be the end. I do not need to invent some mythical after death world ruled by a god to allay fear of death as some do.

I know I will never see my dead relatives ever again but their memories are in my head. I do not need to invent the same after death "world" because I can't cope with missing them.

There is no "evil" requiring an opposite of God only people with no sense of empathy.

I do not know everything neither does science, but one day it might and it will be an interesting journey to find out. So I do not need to invent a supernatural being to explain the (currently) inexplicable. Not knowing is NOT a problem it's just part of the process of learning which we humans are still doing.

I do not need a god as a moral compass, all humans with a decent sense of empathy have a natural sense of morality. If you need to invent a god for your moral guidance i would avoid you since you clearly have an inherent problem with the brains wiring.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
All things being equal, what evidence is there that there is a God? Ok, so if not any hard evidence, what supports any kind of theory of why there would be a God?

I'll wait for the answer.

You are joking surely. Ever heard of a thing called "astronomy" and "particle physics" and "quantum mechanics" etc etc. These are all studies of the very matter we and the rest of the universe is made of. Guess what .....no God is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that's not evidence then you must be denser than a neutron star.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join