It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 signs a horrific global food crisis is almost here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
In case you haven’t noticed, the world is on the verge of a horrific global food crisis. At some point, this crisis will affect you and your family. It may not be today, and it may not be tomorrow, but it is going to happen. Crazy weather and horrifying natural disasters have played havoc with agricultural production in many areas of the globe over the past couple of years. Meanwhile, the price of oil has begun to skyrocket. The entire global economy is predicated on the ability to use massive amounts of inexpensive oil to cheaply produce food and other goods and transport them over vast distances. Without cheap oil the whole game changes. Topsoil is being depleted at a staggering rate and key aquifers all over the world are being drained at an alarming pace. Global food prices are already at an all-time high and they continue to move up aggressively. So what is going to happen to our world when hundreds of millions more people cannot afford to feed themselves?

The Sovereign Independent

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Food is really a semi-renewable energy source. I hope fat people become extinct.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ISRAELdid911

You are absolutely right - cheap oil got us to where we are today. When the price of oil skyrockets - so does our food prices - it is inevitable. I think this article may be a little deceptive by showing a percentage for energy (External Link) but it gives you an idea. Besides the energy portion, oil would affect food processing costs and packaging costs as well.

I'm no pro at gardening but I am doing my best to learn - after all plants tend to grow on their own right?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by McCool

It will happen. I'm overweight and i have diabetes and celiac disease. If in the coming food crisis all i have to eat is sweet bread products from the food lines, i'm screwed and i'll eventually die.

Oh well

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

You are quite probably right.

Most people do not realize how dependent our food supply is on oil. They believe you pop a seed into the ground and voila!, you've got food. Far, far from the truth nowadays.

The one sign that truly points to this crisis is commodity prices on basic grains and other food-related items. Numbers don't lie and these price trends are getting very disconcerting.

I am sorry to say that it's almost certainly going to get ugly here, sooner than later.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Hundreds of millions of people can't feed themselves now... what you really mean is "What happens when it starts affecting people we in the west give a # about."

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
People are already preparing for their communities. I'm not that bright, and have already started to initiate plans to run an aquaponics setup, fueled by algae oil. If I can envision self-sustainable micro-communities, so can others. Hopefully the crisis is more of a hard lesson in wisdom rather than a complete collapse of societies. There are millions of tons of food that we throw away each year, and about a billion or so overweight to obese people out there. Basically, I'm really not too concerned about this one any more.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

no truer words have been spoken -up here in the great white north the governmental propaganda masters told us last year that we would be paying $1.50 a liter for gasoline. or $6.00 a gallon -4 liters equals 1 u.s. gallon. our citrus comes from Florida think about the price increase coming our way and our governmental watch dog for gas gouging has done and will do nothing nor will our governments as they get TAX REVENUE from gas at a PERCENTAGE POINT NOT CENTS PER GALLON ,reread the little price at the pumps on that itsy bitsy tiny sticker. last time the gas went way the hell up the truckers parked their trucks and nothing moved .it came down fast enough. the man has already told us to expect at least a 10% increase in food costs from now on . i really hope you all have your gardens planted and freezers ready to go .-- only 10% bull considering that gas has already gone up by 30% per gallon up here.of which our governments get 42 % in new taxes into their coffers.
and what happens when people can no longer afford to feed their children or families they steal ,it is no wonder that the governments of the so called free world are starting to build these so called super jails to house all of the --NEW CRIMINALS--- as they will be called . but i`ll bet my last dollar that there will never be 1 starving politician ,cop ,military personal or any of their other so called elite personal that will go hungry neither will their families --take for instance the great usa that just passed into law a bill that allows them to call in and shoot it`s own citizens if they riot [ food riots]. god help you if you are a farmer as they and their elitist guards will take away your crops to feed themselves first and too bad for the people ,[ and we the people gave them permission to do this to us by electing these self serving fools to represent us the people ]-- this is the greatest lie that they dared to use against us all -especially since they have been gradually eroding our rights and freedoms away from us under the disguise of law -and justice for all except the people .we are just cannon fodder to them.

what was it i heard during the riots at the g20 meeting coming from the mouths of their propaganda masters [newspapers] it reminds me of the riots of the 60 and 70`s when the dissidents dared to stand up for the right to use and invoke --FREEDOM OF CHOICE ,& FREEDOM OF SPEECH -op`s these all got trampled under foot by their goose stepping neo nazi police forces and their police who dare say that they are here to serve and protect .so i would like to know just who or what in the hell they are protecting as it is not the people it is -CORPORATE GREED plane and simple .got to keep that money a rollin and don`t let anyone try to upset their applecart of this their perfect world that they created where all people are enslaved unto the false little tyrants and their god -GOLD AND MONEY.

top topics

join