It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone need a good Job??

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I agree. No reason to bash employees. People working hard are to be respected.

I'd like to see that part of the thread not discussed, it's really a nonissue and I don't like the topic getting muddled with people making veiled insults at people just working hard trying to do what they can. That's not the issue.

The topic at hand is whether McDonald's itself is, as OP stated, a "good job."

Most everyone is talking about the corporation itself and its tactics along with the probability of a hard working employee getting promoted. That has nothing to do with whether or not an employee trying it anyway is to be respected.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
There is little about the current economic climate I like. The fact is - no one has to do anything. It's all a matter of choice. People can choose to work any available job, or not.

I don't know what world you live in because the choices that are presented for the majority of the population that don't have university degrees are minimum wage jobs. The reason they don't have university degrees is because it's too expensive to afford. Back in the old days we used to have manufacturing jobs, they would serve well for people with high school degrees that just wanted to get by and offer their families food, a roof over their heads, and most importantly, security. The only choice that is offered to people now is the service industry, and oddly enough, for an industry that raps up trillions each year, they certainly can't find a way to pay their employees a proper wage. Only management is able to make a realistic wage, and quite frankly, 60k a year is a joke if you fall in the category of individual that indebted themselves up the ante in school fees while attending University.
The youthful years lost on education, and the debts that come out of it ain't worth the pay at the end of the road. I'm doing it cause I have no choice, debts are growing, and my youth is fading away. I'm going to be one of those people that when they look back at life they won't be able to say "if I was young again I would do things different" because my future was stolen from me before I was even conceived.

My personal opinion is that anyone doing honest work is to be, if not commended, certainly not stigmatized. People who "choose" government assistance when alternatives for work are available should not be commended.

I too don't believe in government assistance, then again, I don't believe in economic slavery either, you seem to have a paradoxical philosophy there my friend.

The crime comment is beneath you. I think you can do better than that.

What is left for a hard working man who can't even support his own self than resorting to
stealing food when he's hungry? Lie down and die? And then people wonder why corporations
walk all over the average worker. You could try to unionize, but then they'd just shut down
your store and you'd be left unemployed. This is another thing which I find appalling,
criminal records, poor people who have financial troubles who resort to stealing end up
with criminal records and can't even get a job for slave wage anymore,
I'm not even talking about a prestigeous office job here.
Outcome? More crime? Either that or homelessness, guess what,
they end up relying on government and charities at that point no matter how you slice it.

A lot of people are hurting. A lot of people are doing things they never thought they'd have to. I'm not inclined to look down on anyone who's making an honest effort. I'm not saying you are, but there's certainly an undercurrent of that in this thread. That's my issue.

I'm just waiting to see what will happen in the future when indebted University graduates can't find any uses for the papers that they received apart from sanitary reasons. What do you think will happen? you think they'll settle for a McDonald's kitchen cause it's such an awesome good paying job with career advancement opportunities?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by unitedstatesoftheinternet

Nice posts, you explained exactly just how it works in the real world.
You put it better than I did. I didn't feel like detailing the situation to that extent,
Your posts put more detail on the situation at hand.
I agree with everything you wrote. I'd like to see someone argue with your points.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by semperfortis

if the employers want living, breathing people working for them, they should at least pay enough to keep them living and breathing instead of thinking that us taxpayers are gonna foot the bill for them while they send their danged money to offshore accounts and beg for more tax credits and such!!!

Then they wonder why they have high turnover rates...
Kinda sucks for the manager cause he's stuck with a headache
of hiring and training new recruits, not for the franchise owner though,
imagine the money he's saving not giving raises...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Radekus

I'm not sure why we're arguing because I think we basically agree. Entry level at McDonald's is no one's idea of the ideal job. No one has to work there. Other options vary by situation.

For those who choose the McDonald's option, I see no reason to hold them in low esteem. Anyone making an effort is ok with me, and those are the people I don't mind helping, however and whenever I can.

I don't think my view is paradoxical at all. I have no problem with people getting government assistance, when it's a last resort, and a temporary solution in the vast majority of cases. My issue is with those who "choose" assistance over working, as a lifestyle decision. Fraud among those on assistance is rampant, and we all know it. I think it can't work efficiently if managed from the federal level and to be viable, it has to be local. And in fact, in my opinion the majority of societal ills can be traced back in one form or another to the federal government getting bigger and bigger and usurping more and more power and authority from the states. But that's another discussion.

That's the world I live in.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

in the world I live in, well, it seems that fraud is rampant all over the place, it's not just condensed into the public assistance area.....
look at the most recent housing bust....
I often see people getting busted for the welfare fraud...
how many people have you seen busted for the fraud that was within the housing fiasco???

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

What I'm getting at is that it doesn't even qualify as a job.
Nor do any other minimum wage "jobs".

So, to help these people, what have you done out of your own initiative?

Honestly now, if you made about the same on government assistance as
working like a slave in some oily fast food joint, wouldn't you be tempted
to go on assistance instead? besides, who frauds government assistance
except drug dealers and under the table workers? I think the major issue
is the greed and corruption that surrounds government, corporations and
financial institutions, not who gets a 400$ a month paycheck from the government.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Are you kidding? Have you worked in a fast food restaurant especially for a major company?
BS pay for BS work while smiling at the MF standing on the other side of the counter telling you you are a worthless uneducated POS. Good Job really? And don't say You worked at one 30 years ago and it was fine because I would call you a lier. 30 years ago was just as bad. Fast food workers and cook and wait staff are considdered by the public to be the bottom of the job chain.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join