It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Terminators: drone strikes prompt MoD to ponder ethics of killer robots.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

im not to worried of a robot take over from the big typpes of machines, just drop an emp on them and the problem is solved.

as for the threat from nanatech grey gooing the earth however that will be more difficult to fend off

I never thought of the EMP idea until you mentioned it. That makes perfect sense

The nanotechnology definitely is a whole different ball game though. I don't know much about it, but from what I have seen, it certainly is something to keep an eye on.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
The problem with Robotic warfare is that the controls are all performed by a human at a terminal.

If you look at APM (actions per minute) averages in the Realtime Strategy game Starcraft or Starcraft 2, you will find that there is a huge disparity between Korea and the rest of the world.

I hypothesize that in the era of robot based combat - "he who clicks fastest wins"

I thank you for the input, until we reach new peaks in AI, you are definitely right. It will all have to do with who has the best hand eye coordination at central command. But I am assuming that the fabrication of the machines may also play a role. I am not very well versed in the video game, so if the Koreans can develop their own technology (which I certainly believe they can) then they might be the ones to keep an eye one.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
just some points for reference...

www.cyberdyne.jp...

skynet
news.bbc.co.uk...

www.astrium.eads.net...

its a worry when these names are already popping up...

I checked those links out, cool stuff

I never seen any of that before. And you are correct when you say it is a bit worrisome when names like that start popping up. My guess though is just that the names were inspired by their involvement in Hollywood. Or maybe Hollywood knew something ahead of time and decided to foreshadow about it to the general public. They have done it before.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Rukas

No. Simply because I know people that are developing quantum computing technology with funding from the military. So I know the tech is not there yet. At the moment it works, isnt as good as current CPUs, and is unstable for long term use.

No offense, but I "know" a lot of people too. Maybe they aren't allowed to tell you what they know, or they are not as important as they say they are.

Like I said, no offense, but just because you "know" someone who said so, I am not going to base my opinion solely on what the person you "know" says.

You can believe what you want. You can believe in unicorns and pink flying elephants for all I care, it still isn't going to make it true.

If the word of people that actually develop this technology and common sense isn't good enough for you then nothing I say will change your opinion anyway.

The fact is there is currently a quantum computing race going on between Universities around the world, seeing who can get a stable platform to work first and win those military contracts. It is NOT hidden technology or secret stuff.

But... You're not listening to common sense anyway so meh.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

That's just not so. Robots are being built that use sensors to 'see' their surroundings and respond according to programming. Not at all like someone working a joystick. This is not even that new. It's easy to program into a computer how to react to a whole bunch of input scenarios. The goal is to build these things, deploy them, and sit back and watch.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rukas

You can believe what you want. You can believe in unicorns and pink flying elephants for all I care, it still isn't going to make it true.

I only believe in orange flying elephants, the pink ones are a lie.

The fact is there is currently a quantum computing race going on between Universities around the world

A quantum computer is a device for computation that makes direct use of quantum mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. Quantum computers are different from traditional computers based on transistors. The basic principle behind quantum computation is that quantum properties can be used to represent data and perform operations on these data.[1] A theoretical model is the quantum Turing machine, also known as the universal quantum computer. Although quantum computing is still in its infancy, experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational operations were executed on a very small number of qubits (quantum bits). Both practical and theoretical research continues, and many national government and military funding agencies support quantum computing research to develop quantum computers for both civilian and national security purposes, such as cryptanalysis.[2]

source

So there is a bit of information on quantum computers. Honestly don't know much about them, just thought I would share that bit of information.

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the intelligence of machines and the branch of computer science that aims to create it. AI textbooks define the field as "the study and design of intelligent agents"[2] where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chances of success.[3] John McCarthy, who coined the term in 1956,[4] defines it as "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines."[5] The field was founded on the claim that a central property of humans, intelligence—the sapience of Homo sapiens—can be so precisely described that it can be simulated by a machine.[6] This raises philosophical issues about the nature of the mind and the ethics of creating artificial beings, issues which have been addressed by myth, fiction and philosophy since antiquity.[7] Artificial intelligence has been the subject of optimism,[8] but has also suffered setbacks[9] and, today, has become an essential part of the technology industry, providing the heavy lifting for many of the most difficult problems in computer science.[10] AI research is highly technical and specialized, and deeply divided into subfields that often fail to communicate with each other.[11] Subfields have grown up around particular institutions, the work of individual researchers, the solution of specific problems, longstanding differences of opinion about how AI should be done and the application of widely differing tools. The central problems of AI include such traits as reasoning, knowledge, planning, learning, communication, perception and the ability to move and manipulate objects.[12] General intelligence (or "strong AI") is still among the field's long term goals.[13]

source

So there is a bit of background information on AI I thought I would share.

You seem to "know" about this stuff. I sure do not. It appears that quantum computing is somewhat linked with AI, but not the only factor. Would you care to explain on how the development or AI is solely based on the advancements of quantum computing? From the brief research I just did, AI is well on it's way regardless of the quantum computing race among these universities.

It just appears the people you "know", are not really in the "know".

AI has many similarities and differences with quantum computing. Perhaps these people you "know" are using the wrong approach if their main roadblock of creating functional AI is quantum computing since AI is it's own branch of computer science that relies on many different variables.

And these kids at these universities must be very clever, but the top scientists in these fields would be working for the military and private corporations that the military sponsors, and not universities. And they would not be leaking the information to their dear pal over a game of cricket while sipping margaritas at the bungalow in Malibu on a Saturday afternoon.

Ya catch my drift?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I do not believe the future will consist of autonomous robots that are all machine, rather I believe the future will be rampant with cyborgs and biological robots. There is research being conducted in America at places like MIT and DARPA to make robots out of biological mefiums. There is technology being developed called HI-MEMS that is an implant that grows with a speciman and intertwines with its nerous system making a circuit so someone can yank the strings from a desk probably in mcdill afb. you can read about that here:
here
Here

We dont need T1000's

I can talk forever aboout this stuff but I got to go to class soon Ill post a bunch of links for futher reading later

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Thanks for the post Brotherman

I can talk forever aboout this stuff but I got to go to class soon Ill post a bunch of links for futher reading later

Please feel free to post more of your thoughts and ideas on this when you have the chance. I for one am very interested and find it relevant to the thread.

Hope to hear more. Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join