It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Terminators: drone strikes prompt MoD to ponder ethics of killer robots.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+52 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The Terminators: drone strikes prompt MoD to ponder ethics of killer robo

www.guardian.co.uk

The growing use of unmanned aircraft in combat situations raises huge moral and legal issues, and threatens to make war more likely as armed robots take over from human beings, according to an internal study by the Ministry of Defence.

The report warns of the dangers of an "incremental and involuntary journey towards a Terminator-like reality", referring to James Cameron's 1984 movie, in which humans are hunted by robotic killing machines. It says the pace of technological development is accelerating at such a rate that Britain must quickly establish a policy on what will constitute "ac
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: title

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The first question I ask is, has technology gone too far? The answer is probably yes. Not only that, have we lost our ethical standards with the progression of technology? We have all heard of the Pakistanis and Afghanis having whole villages wiped out since they were housing "terrorists". That is up to you to decide if you think that this collateral damage is worth it. What worries me is that for the last few years they have been experiencing with these drones in North America and Europe. The police state is bad enough, I don't need a freaking drone blowing me and my family up in our mini van while on vacation because we fit the description of terrorists. I am kind of worried to say the least. Any thoughts?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Considering the US Navy is investing in machines that can gather, process and create resources that have the ability to replicate in areas that would prove difficult for Humans, and for ship repair and whatever is tasked for them... who's to say we won't give them even more intelligence instead of just of just commands given to them, I wouldn't say we are far from that! Now that is scary. But inspiring at the same time!

Jamie

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

I agree, unmanned drones sure have their useful purposes. Such as recon missions and what not, but what they are developing is far beyond that. I for one rather a machine perform a dangerous mission over hostile territory than a human doing nothing but following orders, but these machines no matter how sophisticated they are, are prone to mistakes and human error by the ones controlling or programming them. My gripe is with the fact that they are using these things to blow people up. Kick a$$ ask questions later. Most people think it's all fine and dandy when it is across the world in another country. People will be getting a rude wake up call when they are fully implemented here at home ( I personally hope the idiots in power actually make the right decision on this matter).

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I can honestly say we are heading down the road to A.I, we have been for some time, an A.I doesn't have emotion... this is what separates us from machines, they will learn quicker, adapt quicker and kill quicker. Just hope for a wake up call haha!

Jamie.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Although our tech is improving rapidly i still think we are a long way from a T1000

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

The thread title certainly has an eerie similarity to the whole Terminator saga doesn't it?

Your mention of AI even makes it more similar in many ways. Let's just hope the wake up call we get isn't sky net nuking us into oblivion.

John Connor you listening bro? Tell your mom she was pretty cute in the first movie, not so much in the second

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

I agree, but I am willing to bet we are a lot closer than the people in the know are willing to let us know. I remember hearing somewhere something like whatever they admit to now, we are really at least 50 years ahead than what they show the general public. Please forgive me if that quote is off by a bit, but I have heard it many times from many different sources. Whether or not it is true, I don't know, but I believe it.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I personally feel we are around 50-70 years ahead of our time, the current rate of development is astonishing! We are making a quantum computer, it's nearly finished. Phuck that is big. Look up Moores law, (if you don't know it) Moores law suggest by 2015 we won't be able to predict our own future with technology as we will become that advanced, the quantum computer backs that theory up.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

Supposedly the 'real technology' 'they' have is going to be YEARS more advanced than what we have in the public eye.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

That certainly seems to be the case, I am almost afraid to find out what they got stashed away for any uprising the people may attempt.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It is very easy to make Ai that
kill crush destroy...
try making an AI that can create....

there is a North American native prophesy that sais that
around this time
strange bugs will come out of the ground and sting everybody...
I took that to be drones comming out of their little garages...
edit on 19-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Interesting interpretation Dan. Would you have any more info on this prophecy? I am not doubting you, you always seem to have positive contributions with your posts, I am just not aware of this prophecy and would like to learn more since I am very interested in Native American prophecies such as the Hopi for instance.

Could it be the Hopi you are mentioning?
edit on 19-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
It is very easy to make Ai that
kill crush destroy...
try making an AI that can create....

there is a North American native prophesy that sais that
around this time
strange bugs will come out of the ground and sting everybody...
I took that to be drones comming out of their little garages...
edit on 19-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Hehe, I'm going to assume you have watched starwars, Prime minister of Kamino - "Clones think creatively, you will find they are immensely superior to droids!..."

Jamie

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I think I have heard that it's 20 years. Whichever it is, if you think about the leaps and bounds technology has taken in even 20 years then you know there is some really crazy stuff hiding in the secret facilities. Heck, I didn't even have a computer until 16 years ago, and that one was less powerful than the one that runs my toaster today. Well, not really, but you know.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

lol i just watched that movie with my son this morning, but the secret is to send a little kid in a fighter jet to get inside the control station and blow it up from the inside and then the droids will stop working.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Heck, I didn't even have a computer until 16 years ago, and that one was less powerful than the one that runs my toaster today. Well, not really, but you know.

I certainly get your point

Maybe next your toaster will be able to spread your butter for you too, maybe even make frenched toast... I wouldn't doubt it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I haven't been caught up to date with all the new star wars movies. I need to head to the video store and pick them all up and make a weekend out of it.

Pretty soon we will have those things flying in our sky for real, if similar ones are not already.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The problem is people think that a 'Terminator' type scenerio is sci fi at best, but in reality we really arent that far off. Look at the advances we've had in technology in the past 30 years. All you really need is to create an AI that can fix and improve itself and you have an intelligence that will evolve itself until, given its resources, will surpass humanity and eventually seek to destroy that which it deems inferior.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman

lol i just watched that movie with my son this morning, but the secret is to send a little kid in a fighter jet to get inside the control station and blow it up from the inside and then the droids will stop working.

You are right, I don't think anyone one of us would have thought of that!

Jamie

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join