It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

If 1 piece of fruit is moldy, are they all bad?

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Ok ATS, another food safety question. I survived eating 2 year old hash browns, but this might be more dangerous. I had a bag of fruit (oranges, apples, bananas) tied shut (stupid, I know) on the counter and one orange was very moldy. There were mold spores on one apple and one banana, so I threw them out, along with the orange. Now, will the rest of the fruit be safe to eat? I will obviously wash the apples carefully and I have no plans to eat the orange or banana peels.

I'm fairly poor (hence my eating 2 year old hash browns), so if I can salvage any of this, it would be great.




posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross
 


don't waste good fruit!
cut around moldy areas.
the rest is just fine.

and don't worry.
it won't kill you or anything.
edit on 19-4-2011 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Well I will start off saying, that I am not food safety expert
So take what I say with the knowledge that I may not have a clue to what I am talking about...
Meaning if you get sick or die, you can't sue me or ATS for this post...

sorry, had to have a disclaimer...

I've been poor before... and right now I'm about 5 dollars from being broke... so I can understand where your coming from...

I've ate things before that, most people would cringe at...
I look at it like this...
Humans been on this planet for a very long time... refrigeration is a fairly new invention/convenience
and my ancestors didn't die for eating something that might have been a lil stale...


do like slowisfast said


cut around moldy areas.


Also wash it good... soak it in salt water if you want, and do a taste test... if its unbearable don't eat it...

But I would eat and wouldnt think twice about it, as long as I did the above tips

but maybe an expert will come along and give you the proper guidance?

edit on 4/19/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Avoid "shiny" moulds and black moulds.

Be aware that when a mould compromises the skin of a fruit or vegetable that it can penetrate a few centimetres deep.

But some moulds are OK (think yeasts, cheeses & penicillin)



posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
Avoid "shiny" moulds and black moulds.

Be aware that when a mould compromises the skin of a fruit or vegetable that it can penetrate a few centimetres deep.

But some moulds are OK (think yeasts, cheeses & penicillin)


That is excellent advice!!!
Heed the warning!! it may save your life



posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Cut off the area with mold, and you'll be good to go.



posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Thanks guys. I'm still alive!



posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
Thanks guys. I'm still alive!


Awesome!
glad to hear bro!!



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join