It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New, original articles on declassified US Navy fighter proposals of the early 1950's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If you are interested in unusual vintage aerospace projects and prototypes, check out RetroMechanix.com, which currently has free, heavily illustrated articles on the contenders for the US Navy OS-130 Day Fighter competition of 1953, which ultimately yielded the F8U Crusader and F5D Skylancer. Features over 500 rare high resolution photos, drawings and artist's impressions, all absolutely free. Subjects covered include the Convair Carrier Based F2Y, Douglas Model 652, Grumman Design 97, Lockheed L-242 Navalized Starfighter, McDonnell Model 90/91, North American OS-130 Class VF Day Fighter, Northrop Model N-94, TEMCO Model 31, Vought V-383/V-384, and Vought XF8U-1 Mock-up Inspection. All articles are based on primary documents found in the US National Archives and the majority is previously unpublished:

A new article on a proposal known as the "Sapphire powered Grumman Cougar" dating from the early 1950's has also been added:

Going forward, there will be regular site updates with new articles on various aerospace studies, prototypes, modifications, etc. Future subjects include nuclear-powered bombers, bizarre VTOL studies, flying discs, etc. Worth checking out on a regular basis if you are interested in this sort of subject matter.

-Jared

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
To cool. I’ve always been an aviation buff, though have lapsed these recent years. You’ve help revive my interest. I remember reading about the nuclear powered bomber in PM Magazine waaaaay back. I look forward to that article.

join