It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Questions on Christianity Answered

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Sorry, re-read the lower part of my post, I updated.

I know age is irrevelent on the internet, but you're quite young, arn't you? By no means am i saying you are immature, but i'm quite certain you're an under 18.

ADD: www.youtube.com...

I can watch the above video, and it doesn't urge me to believe in God, mathematical observatinos in nature, systems and equilibriums don't imply an omnipotent being.
edit on 21/4/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by naeem11111

I can prove to you that the ten commandments promote all this.

Please do... The 10 commandments are about love and nothing else, so i'd love to see you prove this...

edit on 21-4-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

The 10 commandments have nothing to do with love. They are about control, hence the name COMMANDMENTS. Thats why most of them include the words THOU SHALL NOT.

If the 10 Commandments were about love then they would be reduced down to two and called something else.

1) Love thy neighbor
2) Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

It gets no simpler than that. Also, notice I said nothing in those two about loving god, since in the very first commandment given by god, he admits that he is not the only one., and he gets a little jealous.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by Akragon

Sorry, re-read the lower part of my post, I updated.

I know age is irrevelent on the internet, but you're quite young, arn't you? By no means am i saying you are immature, but i'm quite certain you're an under 18.

ADD: www.youtube.com...

I can watch the above video, and it doesn't urge me to believe in God, mathematical observatinos in nature, systems and equilibriums don't imply an omnipotent being.

Interesting assumption... unfortunatly you're wrong....im 32.

Im interested in how you came up with that conclusion though.

And i didn't say it did imply omnipotence... i said creation is perfect and gave examples of its perfection.

Btw thanks for thinking im 18... i love it

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster

Please do... The 10 commandments are about love and nothing else, so i'd love to see you prove this...

The 10 commandments have nothing to do with love. They are about control, hence the name COMMANDMENTS. Thats why most of them include the words THOU SHALL NOT.

If the 10 Commandments were about love then they would be reduced down to two and called something else.

1) Love thy neighbor

It gets no simpler than that. Also, notice I said nothing in those two about loving god, since in the very first commandment given by god, he admits that he is not the only one., and he gets a little jealous.

Yet again you're quite wrong...

Every one of the 10 commandments are about love without exception.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Ok? So what? Top physicists and astronomers can look at the universe without their conclusion leading to "God did it" BTW, More than 80% of leading scientists are non-believers, many of which are Atheists, and some "Spiritual" Atheists. Not that i'm suggesting appeal to majority is a reasonable argument.

Observing the universe doesn't require a belief in God, and by no means does the nature of the universe imply an omnipotent dictator being.

Actually many "top scientists" agree that this perfection could only be proof of the existance of God, but this is another debate.

www.dakotavoice.com...

What is this dictator being you speak of...?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

haha. Apologies for my presumptious misconception.

So if you state you didn't imply omnipotent then what is God?

Is God just your observation of nature?

How do you extract abstract ideas and claim them as objective? (Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, Sins, "Good", "Evil") Metaphysical theories - Theories that we can't confirm with our own eyes, theories that suggest it's just currently unknown to us. Why would we trust these theories without logical or empirical evidence?

i.e. It's one claim to state "There is a God" it's another claim to state human-kind has knowledge of the being's thought's and desires. And to claim to know what lies in the reality beyond this one. I just can't believe that people find this believable.

Surely if you just look at nature, and state "That's God" - You're a "pantheist"?

"Pantheism"

Pantheism is the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical.[1] Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic or creator god. The word derives from the Ancient Greek: πᾶν (pan) meaning "all" and θεός (theos) meaning "God". As such, Pantheism denotes the idea that "God" is best seen as a way of relating to the Universe.[2] Although there are divergences within Pantheism, the central ideas found in almost all versions are the Cosmos as an all-encompassing unity and the sacredness of Nature.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

haha. Apologies for my presumptious misconception.

So if you state you didn't imply omnipotent then what is God?

Is God just your observation of nature?

How do you extract abstract ideas and claim them as objective? (Heaven, Hell, Reincarnation, Sins, "Good", "Evil") Metaphysical theories - Theories that we can't confirm with our own eyes, theories that suggest it's just currently unknown to us. Why would we trust these theories without logical or empirical evidence?

i.e. It's one claim to state "There is a God" it's another claim to state human-kind has knowledge of the being's thought's and desires. And to claim to know what lies in the reality beyond this one. I just can't believe that people find this believable.

Surely if you just look at nature, and state "That's God" - You're a "pantheist"?

"Pantheism"

Pantheism is the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical.[1] Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic or creator god. The word derives from the Ancient Greek: πᾶν (pan) meaning "all" and θεός (theos) meaning "God". As such, Pantheism denotes the idea that "God" is best seen as a way of relating to the Universe.[2] Although there are divergences within Pantheism, the central ideas found in almost all versions are the Cosmos as an all-encompassing unity and the sacredness of Nature.

Nope, i don't label myself... My belief in God extends quite a bit farther then just a belief... I know God exists, i've experienced what exactly he/she/it is...so theres not a person on this planet that could try to make me believe otherwise.

Why do you need to see things with your own eyes to believe in them? Have you ever seen the wind? Nope but you believe it exists because you can experience it right? The same holds true about God.

95% of the time people explain God using the bible, but the fact is God isn't in that book any more then hes in any other book, tree, rock etc etc. Heaven, hell, sins, good and evil, are all creations of Man... Basically a means of control over the populous. Or even Fear tactics (my favorite term
) I don't believe any of them exist. On the other hand reincarnation exists and its been proven many times. I know the spirit exists because i've worked with my own for many years.

Believe me i was once like you and many others. I only believed in what i could see, so i set out on a mission of truth, and i found exactly what i was looking for.

In reality as you say, it doesn't matter what you believe... The fact is we all live, then we die... once our body dies we return home. The same place we all came from and we'll all return to regardless of your "sin" or transgressions if you will.

Some things are true regardless of what you believe my friend

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

1) Love thy neighbor

Love without exception? Sounds to me like you're being forced to love your god. If the commandment were about love, then you wouldn't be punished for breaking them. The very fact that the commandments exist shows that gods love is not unconditional.

And again, In the very first commandment of god, he breaks his own commandment, for he covets his neighbors (other gods) goods.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

1) Love thy neighbor

Love without exception? Sounds to me like you're being forced to love your god. If the commandment were about love, then you wouldn't be punished for breaking them. The very fact that the commandments exist shows that gods love is not unconditional.

And again, In the very first commandment of god, he breaks his own commandment, for he covets his neighbors (other gods) goods.

Once you understand what God is you'll also understand that theres no reason to force your love of God.

You're not punished for breaking the commandments... Think of them more as a moral Code.

The only commandments you should obey is Love God with all your heart/soul/being, and love your neighbour as you love your own soul. Both of which coinside with one another...

So basically, when you break this moral code, you create Negitive Karma which corrects you in one way or another.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, so I thought I would ask; Can I answer some of these questions?

I've read the Bible and understand the difference between interpretation and fundamental indoctrination. My answers are by no means the be-all-end-all, and I can't blame anyone looking at a book thousands of years old with a contemporary mindset and wondering (excuse my acronym), "WTF?"

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

whups....forgot one thing

Not true if theres only one God...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by UndesirableNo1
I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, so I thought I would ask; Can I answer some of these questions?

I've read the Bible and understand the difference between interpretation and fundamental indoctrination. My answers are by no means the be-all-end-all, and I can't blame anyone looking at a book thousands of years old with a contemporary mindset and wondering (excuse my acronym), "WTF?"

this is a free forum is it not?

Answer away my friend

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Prove to me that the ten commandments are about love and nothing else. Then I will show you the "nothing else" part, which for most people doesn't cross their minds.

reply to post by amaster

Don't worry amaster, I will prove that the ten commandments promotes war and not love, just waiting for akragon's reply first.

-Naeem
edit on 21/4/2011 by naeem11111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

theres not a person on this planet that could try to make me believe otherwise.

Nice debate technique. Pretty open-minded.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by naeem11111

Prove to me that the ten commandments are about love and nothing else. Then I will show you the "nothing else" part, which for most people doesn't cross their minds.

-Naeem

haha!

You're talking in circles my friend.... i don't need to prove anything, i already know. You said you could prove they're about control...or something along those lines.

So prove it

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

theres not a person on this planet that could try to make me believe otherwise.

Nice debate technique. Pretty open-minded.

Good luck

Im very open minded actually, but again to make me believe otherwise you'd have to prove what i believe is wrong, which you can't... If you could then i would be happy to change my belief. Unfortunatly my beliefs arn't up for debate here this isn't my thread.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Coudn't agree more - The first two commandments are merely a statement of exclusivity, of God's own jelousy and burning desire to be adorned.

Here's an interesting video - Hitchen's destroys the 10 commandments and replaces them with an upgraded version. But notice Hitchens doesn't insist these upon people, he merely shows that religious commandments are abhorrent, rediculous, condeming and controlling.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Right then here is your proof,

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;

Do not have any other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

For six days you shall labour and do all your work.

But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave , or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Exodus 20:2-17

NOTE THE WORDS IN BOLD TEXT

However that's not the end of the show!

Observe what I command you today. See, I will drive out before you the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

Take care not to make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land to which you are going, or it will become a snare among you.

You shall tear down their altars, break their pillars, and cut down their sacred poles

(for you shall worship no other god, because the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God).

You shall not make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to their gods, someone among them will invite you, and you will eat of the sacrifice.

And you will take wives from among their daughters for your sons, and their daughters who prostitute themselves to their gods will make your sons also prostitute themselves to their gods.

You shall not make cast idols.

You shall keep the festival of unleavened bread. For seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, at the time appointed in the month of Abib; for in the month of Abib you came out from Egypt.

All that first opens the womb is mine, all your male livestock, the firstborn of cow and sheep.

The firstborn of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb, or if you will not redeem it you shall break its neck. All the firstborn of your sons you shall redeem.

No one shall appear before me empty-handed.

For six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even in ploughing time and in harvest time you shall rest.

You shall observe the festival of weeks, the first fruits of wheat harvest, and the festival of ingathering at the turn of the year.

Three times in the year all your males shall appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel.

For I will cast out nations before you, and enlarge your borders; no one shall covet your land when you go up to appear before the Lord your God three times in the year.

You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven, and the sacrifice of the festival of the passover shall not be left until the morning.

The best of the first fruits of your ground you shall bring to the house of the Lord your God. You shall not boil a kid in its mother’s milk.

The Lord said to Moses: Write these words; in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.
Exodus 34:11-27

These are the proper unedit commandments, which you will see taxation, border expansion through war, slavery and strict penalties passed on from Father to son. If you can't see the links, I will help you out, and how do you see all this as love? I would love to hear your reply.

-Naeem

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Alright. Sorry for being the Johnny-come-lately. Are you guys arguing about if the 10 commandments were written for war or love? You do realize that in Christianity the 10 commandments were rendered obsolete by Christ himself?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Here's an interesting video - Hitchen's destroys the 10 commandments and replaces them with an upgraded version.

Interesting yes...

Unfortunatly all he did was show how little he understands about God... He definatly didn't "destroy" anything... actually his most understanding statement in that whole video was at the beginning when he said "who am i to be lecturing about God" that was dead on lol

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join