It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Questions on Christianity Answered

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
got another

if god knows all then did he know i was gonna become an atheist? if so then does he want me to burn in hell?

I think you can buy your way out of that one.
It will just cost you 10% of your wages.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Why do christians worship extensions of God instead of God ?
eg. jesus, zion, pope, israel , icons, mother of jesus,
statues of mary, crosses, biscuits or holy-wafers, sundays, and
the sun's passing over the equator ?
Dosent' your book specificity demand that only the
ONE God be worshiped ?
And for the people who idolize the cross by wearing it etc.,
how is this any different than idolizing other weapons of torture
like the crown of thorns or whips and nails etc. ?
Do christians actually worship the ONE god still ? . . . as their book instructs them to do ?

# 2, in revelations 7, it is written that only 144, 000 will
get to heaven why is that ?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

got another

if god knows all then did he know i was gonna become an atheist? if so then does he want me to burn in hell?

I can't stand it. I have to take just this one.

Yes and No. That is the only answer, anyone who knows enough to pour pss out of a boot would give you

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
What do you think of other faiths or religions around the world? Basically I'm a convert to the Jewish faith and people. I studied and did everything else to become a Jew. In my view Judaism is the truth in my life. Have you ever studied about other faiths or Judaism or Islam? What do you think of these faiths?

OP is falling behind so I think I may step in just for a moment and cover a few bases.

Other faiths and religions around the world are a result of the event at the Tower of Babel. The following statement is my mere opinion, but I do think Judaism is one of the closest "true" religions if you could call it that. I think when Paul writes that all scripture is profitable, it isn't just limited to the OT or NT...I think if you really examine a scripture, regardless of it's source, there is information to be taken from it.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
Thanks,
my question, -
if we are all the sons of god and jesus was the son of god, why is it that we can only reach the father though jesus? surley as gods children we also have the power to reach god on our own, rather then though jesus.
And isnt saying that the only way to god is though jesus, taking the glory way from the father ?

We are the sons of God and share in a portion of His spirit. Jesus was God in Spirit. Not even the Son of, but God incarnate. As far as saying the only way to the Father is through the Son, that does not take any glory from the Father because they're One and the same.

See: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
Look at the bible's definition of love at 1 Corinthians 13 4-7 and tell me if this is an accurate picture of the God of the old testament.

NIV

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Oh and if there is no record of wrongs how do we account for Hell?

Absolutely. God demonstrates His love for us through creation among other things. He granted us life and said that it was good. He created Adam and Eve in a state of grace. He gave us a portion of His own spirit. He had a plan designed to save us from the very beginning. He gave us a day (the Sabbath) to really enjoy His companionship and fellowship. A day set aside to celebrate His love for us. God granted Noah grace. He gave Abraham and all of the generations to come grace. He gave grace and mercy to Lot.

The ONLY time we do not see this picture is when people have gone from His teachings. This typical argument is akin to accusing cops of hating you because they pull you over for speeding. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they "love" or "hate" you...it has to do with you breaking the rules.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
1. God is omnipotent meaning he know's everything past present and future.

2. Before God made the world he looked at the outcome and saw how many people would follow him at the end and how many would not.

3. He decided the numbers of those who would not was acceptable but instead of just dismissing something he created knowing would not follow him, because he made it that way, he decides to make his creation suffer for eternity.

4. God creates the world.

You must ask yourself why God decided on the number of people who would follow him and those that wouldn't. Saying we have free will is fine and correct but it doesn't dismiss the fact that God knew beforehand.

He could have made a world where everyone would follow him or none would or some would and he chose a certain number for whatever reason he had. If you don't think God knew than he isn't omnipotent which means he's not an all-knowing God.

If you believe he did know than he is responsible for creating something for the purpose of eternal suffering.

Here's the problem with your assertions..

God created you with free will. He didn't create you with a solid "yes" or "no" checked in the believer box. You make that decision. He simply knew your choice before you made it. This does not at all mean He is responsible for YOUR decisions.

AND...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SorensDespair
reply to post by ShakeNBake

What do you know of the non-canonical texts of early Christianity?
Are they any more or less Christian than the canonical texts? Why or why not?
What do you think about the transition of Christianity from a religion of self sacrificing martyrs to the later Christian movements? Is one side any more or less Christian?

Thanks, I await your reply.

I don't have an extreme amount of information on the noncanonical texts but I have a sufficient amount I suppose. As far as any more or less Christian than the canon, from what I've gathered, they appear to be more gnostic than anything.

In order to answer your last question...I request specific "christian movements". I don't completely understand the question so just clarify it for me if at all possible. Thanks.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

If Christianity is the one true religion, why is there so many flavors ? surely they cant all be right as they all have slightly different views.

oh and on a lighter note (no offence but..) shouldn't your title of the thread be.
"I want to shoot myself in the foot, can you please supply the gun and ammo"

sorry i couldn't help myself.. and if we cant joke at ourselves.

edit on 19-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: spelling

Again, there are so many "flavors" as you call it because the event at the Tower of Babel. As I'm sure you're aware, at that time most things were passed through oral tradition. By confounding the language barrier and spreading the peoples, this caused most oral traditions to be skewed or even completely lost, or possibly even intentionally manipulated.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69
Can you tell me what parts of the Bible were made up by men and what parts of the Bible are the real words of GOD? Is the story about Jesus in the Bible true if so what parts and did he live on after he woke from the dead and if he did, did he have a wife and kids here on earth where the Bible leaves off? Why are some people born rich and others poor some beautiful and others ugly, if I was a god that loved my creation I would have been fair and made everyone beautiful and made everyone able to become equally wise so why didn't our GOD? Can you tell me why God don't come down and talk to the people that pray for his help and pray to him asking for his guidance in there lives, I mean if GOD would just tell me what he wants me to do I would try my best at doing it for sure.
Thanks, o and are you just saying what you have learned from the Holy Bible that has been corrupted and changed by man?
I fergot about the whole book of Gineses If you would please start at the begining and cover the whole thing it would be really awesome
I would also like to know about EZEKIEL'S WHEELS and what he really seen???
Thanks
edit on 19-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: Added more

It doesn't matter what parts were "made up by men". The issue at hand is the law. Jesus says that not one jot or tittle will pass from the law until all(prophecy) is fulfilled. Focus on the law and everything is a lot clearer because the laws HAVEN'T been "made up".

As far as Jesus, yes it's true. No he did not "live on" in the way that you expect after His resurrection. It wasn't a "bodily" resurrection so He couldn't have a wife and kids.

And for the rich/poor/ugly/beautiful nonsense...we all have to overcome something. There's adversity in life, that's the pure and simple fact. Whether it be someone being born rich that has to overcome the huge obstacle of forgetting about their possessions and striving to compound treasures in heaven...or someone poor having to struggle here on earth for a piece of bread...someone "ugly" struggling to make friends and fit in...or someone beautiful struggling to fit in with the new trends and keep up with what's "in"....This is just the way life is.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SorensDespair
reply to post by ShakeNBake

What do you think of the use of the interpretation of the bible throughout history to enact political expansion?

With regards to the above question, do you think that the expansion of Christianity is a good thing, despite the violence that it caused?

I think it's sad that any faith could be used as a scapegoat for such selfish agendas.

As for violence caused by the expansion of Christianity...I think you're a little misled. Humans as a whole have a hard time accepting difference. This inability to cope with difference is what gives way to violence, not the difference itself.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

why would god create satan, cast him down, and then place man in the same world?

its like filling a pool, throwing a shark in and putting your baby in it.

keep in mind that god knew all of this was going to happen.

It's about glory. God uses evil for His divine purposes. One way to view it, amongst other means, is that Lucifer was allowed to rebel through the use free-will in order to establish free will for us. That is, humans must have an alternative choice in order for there to be "free-will". We can choose A) God or B) Lucifer. If our only choice was A...then that's not free will is it?

Also, in regards to Judaism, your question has no merit.

You see, in Judaism, angels do not have free will, this means ultimately that Satan was not thrown out of Heaven. Like the other angels, he does the job that God gave to him, which is to test us humans that do have free will.

(Also, reread Revelation chapter 12...really focus on what happens when Satan rebels...ask yourself, is he really cast down to earth?)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. D

Catchy name

I for one would like to know why G*D kicked Adam and Eve out of
Eden and sentenced them and their offspring to death even though
they could not have "known" it was wrong to disobey him? They had
not eaten the fruit from the tree of knowledge when G*D told
them not to so the didn't "Know" it was wrong. G*D knew the
serpent lied and tricked Adam and Eve them into doing so! He punished
them anyway, that is extremely difficult for me to deal with.

Let me get this straight...

God tells them not to do something...
They do it anyways...
Then have the nerve to say "We didn't know it was wrong!"

God told them not to! It's as easy as that.

Here....

Mom: Don't touch the stove Billy, it's hot.
Billy: Okay...
[Billy touches the stove]
Billy: OWWW! I didn't know it was hot!!!

Seems a little ridiculous to me.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

How do you see older religions other then Christianity and the stimulatory of these and the bible, , couldn't it be possible that all paths lead to god and that no path is wrong just different ?

edit on 19-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

got another

He knew your choice before you made it. He didn't make the choice for you.

He has given you every possible way out of hell. It's not His fault if you don't follow the signs.

At some point, we humans have to take responsibility for our actions ya'know.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf

Why do christians worship extensions of God instead of God ?
eg. jesus, zion, pope, israel , icons, mother of jesus,
statues of mary, crosses, biscuits or holy-wafers, sundays, and
the sun's passing over the equator ?
Dosent' your book specificity demand that only the
ONE God be worshiped ?
And for the people who idolize the cross by wearing it etc.,
how is this any different than idolizing other weapons of torture
like the crown of thorns or whips and nails etc. ?
Do christians actually worship the ONE god still ? . . . as their book instructs them to do ?

# 2, in revelations 7, it is written that only 144, 000 will
get to heaven why is that ?

Christians I know don't worship extensions of God. This is probably one of the toughest questions though. The holy trinity is always something that is very difficult to process/grasp. Unfortunately it'd probably take me all night to give a respectable answer, and even then I'm not sure I could do well enough. I can try my best if you'd like though, just let me know.

As far as the 144,000 go...
It's uncertain to say the least. There are a number of opinions on the matter, however one thing is clear. It does NOT mean that only 144,000 will get to heaven. If the verse is to be taken literally as such then it would clearly be 144,000 Israelites from the mentioned tribes. This would exclude Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob who were never of the tribes of Israel. But yet, this contradicts Jesus' affirmation that those 3 will be in heaven.

Also, if only 144,000 Israelites are to be in heaven, this would exclude the gentiles. However, we see clear passages stating that gentiles will also enter the gates.

Again, if the tribes and numbers are to be taken literally, not a single individual from Dan or Ephraim will enter Heaven either. This includes OT bodies like Joshua and Samson.

This just doesn't seem to fit the scheme.

The 144,000 are clearly sealed individuals, chosen by God. This doesn't mean they are the only ones chosen to enter Heaven though. The scripture doesn't mention anything about "the only ones to enter heaven"...The facts don't point to it either...It's just something people came up with because they didn't understand the text. Unfortunately, that has led to even more confusion.

A2D

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

How do you see older religions other then Christianity and the stimulatory of these and the bible, , couldn't it be possible that all paths lead to god and that no path is wrong just different ?

I don't think all paths lead to God and that no path is wrong....that just doesn't make sense to me.
That's almost like saying any medicine will work for a headache, there is no wrong choice. Which, obviously, is not the case.

I think the main thing is being able to adapt. It takes a dedicated heart and mind to truly seek out the truth when it comes to God and the scriptures. Like I said earlier, all scripture is profitable, not just the OT or NT. We all came from the same source and have tidbits of information relating to that source. It's up to us to piece the puzzle together and we're not going to accomplish that by sitting around thinking we have it all figured out already.

I treat my religion almost like I treat physics. I understand it now to the best of my ability but when something else comes along that challenges my beliefs...I will study as hard as I can and come up with my best answers and change my belief system to accomodate if necessary.

A2D

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The Bible is a mirror of God and man. In the image, you see both. An atheist will mostly look at his own image in the mirror and claim that man is all that is there. This bias blinds the unbelieving heart from seeing God in the image as well. God's word is Christ from (John 1). The Bible is the reflection of both Christ and man. Christ is the reflection of God in perfection. The OT reflects the hardships of God and man as they walk together toward righteousness. God's laws require reaping and sowing. This is law. We view God's law as punishments. In reality, they are action and reaction only. Justice requires payment.

In the NT, Christ came as payment for our errors of unrighteousness. The payment was made on your behalf by Christ in perfect reflection of the image. You are in the image of God and Christ brings your image into focus. If you are only reflecting the world, the world distorts this image and Christ is for naught in your life. The choice is one of belief. This is the faith, hope and love that an earlier commenter noted from 1 Corinthians 13.

Since all actions have consequences (we reap and sow by law), then you have no free will when it comes to your actions. All actions have a set consequence by law. The only act of free will that you have is faith or unbelief. All other arguments are semantics to this fact. Again, the image tells the story. If you choose to see only man in the image, you will miss God standing right there beside you.

reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

edit on 19-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

thanks for answering part of the question, what about older religions ?
and while i see you point about medication, that cant be analogous of god.. its like saying black is white..(see what i did there)
and s a matter of disclosure, i am not a Christian myself and dont fear hell as my journey isnt about that
but im not sure you can understand where im coming from so i wont bore you with details
do i believe the bible is true, yes.
do i believe that jesus is the only way to god, no
i am sure the bible is the story of one of the gods people, but i am one of the others mentioned in the bible, im sure your versed in that part as well

blessed be and peace.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Sorry OP for stealing your thunder so to speak.

I just see a lot of these threads and, in return, a lot of unanswered questions about the faith. I feel obligated in most cases to pick up the slack so there is no reason to slander the Christian name. I hope you understand.

A2D

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join