It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Questions on Christianity Answered

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Originally posted by Akragon
Yes i do see love in all of that.... remember it was a time when many people had slaves. I also see many words written by jelous greedy men... Clearly you do too

And you can't or won't see the truth. You say many people back then had slaves, well look and think again.

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;

So from the first commandment we know the Jews were once slaves. (In reality they weren't really slaves at all but ruling Egypt as despots under the Hyksos dynasty, and Moses, if he did exist was really an Egyption)

But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.

From this commandment, we learn that the Jews who were once slaves, had slaves???????? How is that possible??????

-Naeem
edit on 21/4/2011 by naeem11111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by UndesirableNo1

If you feel the reason why you lack faith in a God is too personal to share on a public forum, you are welcome to PM me.

There's never a personal enough reason to not share your point of view on any given subject.

Again, i have asked many people why they would believe the dogma of any of the religions that man has to offer..........

When i asked, they claimed they didn't believe in it (or some of it) (Cherry pickers, the inconsistant believers, the half-faiths) So far no one has offered a logical reason why you would believe in God over any other possible "theory", before say theory "infinity"

And then i ask if they are a Pantheist (God = univese) and people say state they have their own "personal" God.

And then i ask how do you reason that belief empirically OR logically and no explanation can be offered but "FAITH".

It's as if they just like the idea of believing in something. They don't REALLY know why they believe it but - the WANT to believe overides the REASON to believe.

I could reason reality being infinity or being the "Matrix" just as equally as i could say some omnipotent GOd created it. It's an unfalsifiable claim, unprovable. I want to know why people submit? Key logical reasoning behind the belief (perhaps the fear of death or the hope of a better "afterlife")

Religion is not a special area of debate where you have to tred on eggshells to avoid causing offense. Like politics, we shouldn't refrain from sharing critique's and opinions. The same should apply with religion. Enough of this respect nonsense. It's a debate.
edit on 21/4/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by naeem11111
reply to post by Akragon

Yes i do see love in all of that.... remember it was a time when many people had slaves. I also see many words written by jelous greedy men... Clearly you do too

And you can't or won't see the truth. You say many people back then had slaves, well look and think again.

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;

So from the first commandment we know the Jews were once slaves.

But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.

From this commandment, we learn that the Jews who were once slaves, have slaves???????? How is that possible??????

-Naeem

How is what possible? Slavery 2000+ years ago? Or how does God allow slavery?

I said there were a lot of slaves back then and all through out history... Apparently God took them out of egypt because of it.... *shrug*

Afterwords yes some were probably rich and took slaves themselves... Why are you questioning me about it?

Are you trying to say God condones slavery?
edit on 21-4-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Except for murder, slavery has got to be one of the most immoral things a person can do. Yet slavery is rampant throughout the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments. The Bible clearly approves of slavery in many passages, and it goes so far as to tell how to obtain slaves, how hard you can beat them, and when you can have sex with the female slaves.

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants. Many translations of the Bible use the word "servant", "bondservant", or "manservant" instead of "slave" to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is. While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn't mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

The following passage shows that slaves are clearly property to be bought and sold like livestock.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to bend the truth to believe my argument.

The reference is there. People can do their own research if they wish to argue.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

yup, whats your point?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I'm trying to get to the pulp of what you stated. So your lack of faith is based on your knowledge of scientific reasoning or due to the fact that the people that you asked were fickle? If you're wondering why the questions... I ask questions to avoid assumptions.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The god's described in Religion are a construct of man.

Man defines God, and then updates when he or she feels fit. Christian reformation is one example.

Man anthromorphises what he doesn't not understand, and describes it the best he can given what information is available to him.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

So from the first commandment we know the Jews were once slaves.

From this commandment, we learn that the Jews who were once slaves, have slaves???????? How is that possible??????

-Naeem

You have got to understand that there are or were two types of slavery. The first one that is the bad one is racial slavery which is why God brought the Jews out of slavery because they were held against their will as slaves. The second type of slavery is good slavery. Many people back in that time offered themselves as slaves to make money and to have a place to live and eat.

And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. Ephesians 6:9 KJV

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by Akragon

The god's described in Religion are a construct of man.

Man defines God, and then updates when he or she feels fit. Christian reformation is one example.

Man anthromorphises what he doesn't not understand, and describes it the best he can given what information is available to him.

Absolutely!

This is why i usually tell people to start with Christs words when reading the bible.... Understand him, the rest is easy. Its clear what teachings are from God and which are from man

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by UndesirableNo1

Simple, as there is no current evidence (empirical or logical) to a "CREATOR" existing I'm waiting on knowledge before i submit to a theory, before i put faith in a theory. I'm an agnostic in regards to a creator theory. As i'm agnostic to an theory of infinity. I just don't have evidence. I'm humble enough to admit that.

As there is no available evidence, how does such a theory form? By the words of other men. Faith in other men.

There's no evidence that fortune tellers can predict the future and so far no experiment has been performed under reasonable controlled conditions which demonstrates this ability. People believe them due to cold reading. It's because they can't prove they CAN'T see into the future (of course until the future occurs)

Because of the above fact, i'm a Gnostic Atheist towards all "descriptions" of God

I'm an agnostic atheist towards a creator theory, because we don't have evidence yet. And gnostic atheist when men claim truth to a description of God, and his wishes. (Religion)

Again, willing to be proved wrong. But the omnipotent claim that religion makes is false, and preists lie to children about miracles and afterlife.

That's my concern. Hope that was a little more clear.

Here's a whimiscal song to demonstrate my point better:-

BTW - I love HP lovecraft

Enjoy.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

How is what possible?

Jews who were taken out of Egypt because of being slave, are given laws on how to treat their own slaves.

Slavery 2000+ years ago?

This incident, if real, took place 4000 years ago.

Or how does God allow slavery?

You mean man.

I said there were a lot of slaves back then and all through out history... Apparently God took them out of egypt because of it.... *shrug* Afterwords yes some were probably rich and took slaves themselves...

Why are you questioning me about it? Are you trying to say God condones slavery?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I've got a serious question. Why do so many woman preach and teach in Churches when the bible is very clear that they aren't allowed to?

1 Corinthians Chapter 14: 34-35

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy Chapter 2: 12

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

How is what possible?

Jews who were taken out of Egypt because of being slave, are given laws on how to treat their own slaves.

Slavery 2000+ years ago?

This incident, if real, took place 4000 years ago.

Or how does God allow slavery?

You mean man.

I said there were a lot of slaves back then and all through out history... Apparently God took them out of egypt because of it.... *shrug* Afterwords yes some were probably rich and took slaves themselves...

Why are you questioning me about it? Are you trying to say God condones slavery?

Are you trying to teach me something or what....im trying to figure it out here?

Whats the point of just repeating what i said?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherBear
I've got a serious question. Why do so many woman preach and teach in Churches when the bible is very clear that they aren't allowed to?

1 Corinthians Chapter 14: 34-35

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy Chapter 2: 12

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Because women have been thought of as lesser then man until just recently....though you'll find that mary was accepted by christ as an equal amongst his disciples... Interesting eh

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Didn't answer the question.

EDIT: Also, show me where she was accepted as an equal in the Bible? I don't need any Dan Brown theology.
edit on 21-4-2011 by BigBrotherBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by naeem11111

He does, there's more than enough evidence in the bible. I can post plenty of links with the exact indexing for the passages. I've already done so.

But we've already agreed that religion is a construct of man, and man's best attempt to revealing profound truths based on metaphors or infomation currently available.

Doctrine like this should be abhorrent in today's society - I guess there's much to borrow but much much more that should be forgot. The fundamentals who swear eternal allegiance to this babbel are a constant cause of hatred and division.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Didn't answer the question.

EDIT: Also, show me where she was accepted as an equal in the Bible? I don't need any Dan Brown theology.
edit on 21-4-2011 by BigBrotherBear because: (no reason given)

Why do you care what churches think of a womens postion in the establishment?

Clearly the system is designed for man to rule in the church... They have their own inturpretations of the bible and they follow it. What they don't realize is the ajendas behind the writers of the texts.

I didn't say she was accepted in the bible...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The title of this topic is "Your Questions on Christianity Answered", if you cannot answer them, then do not reply. Simple, eh?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by naeem11111

He does, there's more than enough evidence in the bible. I can post plenty of links with the exact indexing for the passages. I've already done so.

But we've already agreed that religion is a construct of man, and man's best attempt to revealing profound truths based on metaphors or infomation currently available.

Doctrine like this should be abhorrent in today's society - I guess there's much to borrow but much much more that should be forgot. The fundamentals who swear eternal allegiance to this babbel are a constant cause of hatred and division.

I would disagree with that statement... If you chose slavery for yourself then so be it. It has nothing to do with God. The same can be said about many things you'll read in the bible... If you're looking for God to condone murder you can find it in there too. It doesn't mean its true...

It wasn't written by God, it's written by men...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The title of this topic is "Your Questions on Christianity Answered", if you cannot answer them, then do not reply. Simple, eh?

I've answered yoru question completely, you don't have to accept my answer, and im not christian so...perhaps you're looking for one to answer you

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join