It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duke lacrosse rape accuser indicted for first degree murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

By MIKE BAKER, Associated Press Mike Baker, Associated Press – 1 hr 14 mins ago
RALEIGH, N.C. – The woman who falsely accused three Duke lacrosse players of raping her in 2006 was charged Monday with murder in the death of her boyfriend.

Crystal Mangum, 32, was indicted on a charge of first-degree murder and two counts of larceny. She has been in jail since April 3, when police charged her with assault in the stabbing of 46-year-old Reginald Daye. He died after nearly two weeks at a hospital.

An attorney for Mangum did not return a call seeking comment. The district attorney's office declined to discuss the case.

Mangum falsely accused the lacrosse players of raping her at a 2006 party for which she was hired to perform as a stripper. The case heightened long-standing tensions in Durham about race, class and the privileged status of college athletes.

The district attorney who championed Mangum's claims was later disbarred. North Carolina's attorney general eventually declared the players innocent of a "tragic rush to accuse."

Prosecutors declined to press charges for the false accusations, but Mangum's bizarre legal troubles have continued.

Last year, she was convicted on misdemeanor charges after setting a fire that nearly torched her home with her three children inside. In a videotaped police interrogation, she told officers she set got into a confrontation with her boyfriend at the time — not Daye — and burned his clothes, smashed his car windshield and threatened to stab him.

Friends said Mangum has never recovered from the stigma brought by the lacrosse case and has been involved in a string of questionable relationships in an attempt to provide stability for her children. Vincent Clark, a friend who co-authored Mangum's self-published memoir, said he hopes people don't rush to judgment — echoing one of the oft-cited lessons of the lacrosse case itself.

Clark said Mangum realizes she has mental health problems.

"I'm sad for her. I hope people realize how difficult it is being her," Clark said.

When Daye's nephew talked to a 911 dispatcher after the stabbing, he referenced the notoriety Mangum still carries.

"It's Crystal Mangum. THE Crystal Mangum," said the nephew, whose name was removed from a publicly-released version of the emergency call. "I told him she was trouble from the damn beginning."

A federal judge recently ruled that the three players accused of rape — Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans — can pursue a lawsuit against former District Attorney Mike Nifong and the police investigators who handled their case. The players have not sued Mangum.

Source

So not only is she now a prostitute, a pathological liar, race monger and ruiner of young mens lives, but you can now add murderer to that list of accolades for this waste of human skin.

I just wonder if fat Al Sharpton and Jessie the race pimp will show up and support the grieving family of the victim that is now no longer alive in this world. Im pretty sure we wont be hearing from them this go round since there is no race card to play and no money to be made off of exploiting a tragedy.

Apparently they only show up to defend black families and victims of violent crime when a white person is the one suspected of wrong doing.

I say good thing my state of NC still imposes the death penalty, hopefully they will try this as a capital case.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
One disturbed woman.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sharpton will have to deal with this one all by hisself, err, I mean himself.
Rev Jackson is too busy covering up his homo connection.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
First Tawana Brawley and then this Duke debacle of lies. I dont know how either of the two hold any credibility whatsoever.

I remember when this case first hit, the liberals in the university, the media and the D.A. Mike Nifong crucified these kids before there was any shred of proof that anything had happened.

They canceled the whole lacrosse season and the guys accused were chased out of school and they had death threats against their families. Sharpton and Jackson showed up and then turned the whole city of Durham into a town on the verge of race riots. Everyone was out for blood.

Then oops....they realized that she wasnt quite so credible of a witness, and oops...then they realized that her stories and first person accounts werent quite adding up, then the "rape kit" came back and it was disclosed that they had found five different strands of DNA from five different semen samples, and only one was from anyone actually in the house that night.

Then she came out and confessed to making the whole thing up and Nifong's career was ruined.

And of course the race pimps Al and Jessie ran out of town as fast as they could in the dead of night, no apologies, no press release...just gone. Good thing those students sued the crap out of Duke and will never have to work another day should they choose not to.

I feel bad for the dead boyfriend's family, but that guy should have known better.
edit on 4/18/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join