It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Tech To Identify Individual Zebras By Their Stripes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
"Barcode Scanner" Decodes Zebra Stripes

The stripes of a zebra are intended to confuse and thwart carnivores to help prevent them from singling one out and attacking members of a herd. The problem with the stripes for the ecologists attempting to study zebras is that they look very similar. The only way to identify and track an individual animal to learn its behavior is visually or by sifting through zebra dung to get genetic information.

A team of computer scientists has discovered a way to track and identify zebras and other striped animals from a simple conventional digital photo. The system is called Stripespotter and it looks at the image and compares it to other images in the database to identify individual animals.

I saw a little clip about this on cartoon network a little bit ago. I searched for this on here but was suprised this hasnt been posted yet. This is a pretty interesting technology. I wonder if something like this will come out for dogs and cats?

I also saw on here a few days ago about some police using some technology in sunglasses that can scan faces in a crowd and identify certain people, such as criminals.

Plus this technology can also be used on tigers and giraffes.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
LMAO thats pretty cool do they have like a massive scanner on the back of the truck that can do like long range scanning "beep beep, expired past its used by date" lol,

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Great post!

But it comes as no surprise...
If my cellphone can scan black and white "pictures" and take me to a web page...
then why not?

join