It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanics Become America's New Majority Minority

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

The 2010 Census reveals that, for the first time, Hispanics outnumber African Americans in most U.S. metropolitan cities. Political demographer Ruy Teixeira argues that this shift may tilt the political and social landscape nationwide.

Source

New figures show that Hispanics in the US have become the largest minority group, outnumbering African Americans in most metropolitan areas.

The figures, released by the US Census Bureau from 2010 until present, show the growing diversity of the 366 metro areas in the US, which are home to 83.7 percent of the country's population. Last year, the Hispanic population became the biggest minority group in 191 metro areas -- up from 159 in the 2000 Census.

This is partly due to black populations moving south, leaving behind economically troubled cities in the northern part of the country and partially because of the Hispanic community's high birth rate. In the past 10 years, the total Hispanic population has jumped by 42 percent to 50.5 million and the black population increased by 11 percent to 37.7 million.

"A greater Hispanic presence is now evident in all parts of the country - in large and small metropolitan areas, in the Snowbelt [northern states] and in the Sunbelt [southern states]," William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, told the Associated Press.

The figures are considered important in political terms as well since the number of members a state has in the House of Representatives is based on the state's population. "From now on, local, state and national politicians will need to pay attention to Hispanics rather than treating blacks as the major minority," Frey said.

Source

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well this to me comes as no real surprise, this figure has been exponentially increasing every year. The opening quote in the OP is all there was to the article from that source. However, I believe it speaks volumes to how this is looked at by a vast majority.

I am by no means racist. I don't think any one race is superior over another. I think anyone provided with the proper fundamentals and education in life can accomplish anything they want regardless of the color of their skin.

It may just be me, but the way these articles are written, and titled, seemingly steer the reader into thinking that this is a dilemma of some sort. I find that a little perplexing. Then again, I am just one opinion among billions.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Most articles that deal with this kind of subject matter are a bit uh ... 'instigating'? But it's kind of surprising this statistic hasn't become common knowledge.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone knows this, but New Mexico is the first state to have a majority of the population Hispanic.

Also, when you look at the statistics, Hispanics are lagging behind in almost every sector of politics, educational achievement, economics.

So Hispanics are the new majority minority, but they are worst off than any other minority.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This result is to be expected since the federal government has went against the wishes of the American people and failed to shut down our southern border.

Large numbers of 3rd world immigrants has never proven beneficial to the host nation.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing the article. I have a question. I come from a multiracial background. Different ancestors come from various Latin American countries. Would I be considered Latino-Hispanic?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yep, I just had mexican tonight. They (mexican restaurants) are everywhere. There is not even a good steakhouse anymore. It is all taco's and burrito's.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You can come visit California. There are many different restaurants and burger joints. I wish they had more foreign food.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto
Thanks for sharing the article. I have a question. I come from a multiracial background. Different ancestors come from various Latin American countries. Would I be considered Latino-Hispanic?

well ... not to sound derogatory but, general rule of thumb if you look like one then your one. Doesn't matter what nationality racism/stereotyping is making a comeback unfortunately. My opinion of course.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Yep, I just had mexican tonight. They (mexican restaurants) are everywhere. There is not even a good steakhouse anymore. It is all taco's and burrito's.

You want a steak house? Open one up yourself.

Dont push blame on to Entrepreneurs, that had the stones to risk it all to open up a store of his own.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Yeah, some of the food aint bad...
I am feeling a little lost when I go some where nowa days.. I went to tijuana one time and It looked as...as some areas in Los Angeles. Sad !!!

I am a mixed European with a tad Philipino... so I am not a racist just aware of my country !!!

edit on 18-4-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: change

edit on 18-4-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by anon102

Well if I tan my skin. I guess I am one!
Celebration I guess! haha. I always wondered how someone would see my racial background.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

New figures show that Hispanics in the US have become the largest minority group, outnumbering African Americans in most metropolitan areas.

This really gets so old.

In this country, color and ethnicity should not matter. If you are a legal citizen, then you are an American. Period. All the 'American-of-xxxx-decent' is such bull.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I remember hearing about those numbers when I was a kid. I never noticed the differences in races as I'm from NYC, and you would get a major migraine trying to figure out what race is what. But then again in a major populated city no one really notices.

IMHO this became "big news" when smaller cities became aware of the influx to their community. I think that this would still be on the hush, if areas that had less "diverse" people didn't notice.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

sense we are little are are taught to associate's ourselves with something. IE: Mom and dad are christian: so therefore you say you are christian, Mom and dad say they are Democrats: then you label yourself as democrat. There is labeling in schools: Punks, goths, preps, geeks, nerds, etc., there is a label for what music you hear, what ever type of group there is there is a specific name to it.

So when you say, we should all just be called American, its not going to happen unfortunately.

And besides that, there are no genetic markers that distinguish from one race to another, so all those who think it is biological, they are wrong. We see people and define them by what we see because of 'labeling'.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
New Mexico has a state constitution that was written in both English and Spanish. So there has been plenty of Spanish speaking Americans going back a long time, at least in one state.

Too much of the "news" seems to be a wedge, dividing us. Granted, there are way too many drug war related tragedies around the US-Mex border, and their reporting is a different topic... If you're here the legal way, working hard the legal way, and not hurting anyone else, I think most Americans wouldn't care if the Gelgameks were the "new majority minority"

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldwater

I'm not doubting your first paragraph. Many of my relatives come from New Mexico. They have been living there before the founding of the U.S.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by morf991

You want a steak house? Open one up yourself.

Dont push blame on to Entrepreneurs, that had the stones to risk it all to open up a store of his own.

I have a problem when these entrepreneur 's are not here legally.

The Tucson sector Border Patrol union local 2544 on the number of illegal aliens in our nation: "There are currently 15 to 20 million illegal aliens in this country by many estimates, but the real numbers could be much higher and the numbers increase every day because our borders are not secure (no matter what the politicians tell you - don't believe them for a second)". (Visit the local's website).

In agreement with Senator McCain, we believe that an increase of 10,000 total additional illegal aliens added to the United States population each day.

www.theamericanresistance.com/ref/illegal_alien_numbers.html

You do not think that all illegals do landscaping and carpentry do you? One other thing, I do not wish to open a steakhouse. I am only speaking the truth. I think you are in denial and I do not wish to be spiteful. In my small town the mexican restaurant thing is out of control.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Dont you need licenses and identification to get the permits to open up restaurants?

which would leave some to conclude that they ARE here legally....

Do you think Hispanics immigrate to this country to screw over the "white" man? just like they like to portray in these media outlets......

Sir am not in denial, but it seems like to me is the tyranny of the majority....looking for someone to blame for the crises that the majority created.....through elections and policy's as a result.

Are you not of an immigrant background......[unless you are native American]......why does anyone have the right to excluded people from a different country to enter the US which was founded and prospered because of immigration?

is that denial?
but am sure your rhetoric will continue....using articles that are clearly written to achieve mass sales and/or internet traffic

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

The 2010 Census reveals that, for the first time, Hispanics outnumber African Americans in most U.S. metropolitan cities. Political demographer Ruy Teixeira argues that this shift may tilt the political and social landscape nationwide.

Source

The figures, released by the US Census Bureau from 2010 until present, show the growing diversity of the 366 metro areas in the US, which are home to 83.7 percent of the country's population. Last year, the Hispanic population became the biggest minority group in 191 metro areas -- up from 159 in the 2000 Census.

This is partly due to black populations moving south, leaving behind economically troubled cities in the northern part of the country and partially because of the Hispanic community's high birth rate. In the past 10 years, the total Hispanic population has jumped by 42 percent to 50.5 million and the black population increased by 11 percent to 37.7 million.

"A greater Hispanic presence is now evident in all parts of the country - in large and small metropolitan areas, in the Snowbelt [northern states] and in the Sunbelt [southern states]," William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, told the Associated Press.

The figures are considered important in political terms as well since the number of members a state has in the House of Representatives is based on the state's population. "From now on, local, state and national politicians will need to pay attention to Hispanics rather than treating blacks as the major minority," Frey said.

Source

That's not news in California. I live in Northern Mexico aka Southern California, hispanics have been the majority in the state for a few years now. Being bi-lingual is pretty much a requirement for almost any job these days here. If you don't "habla" you get left behind. And the "Press 1 for English" burns me up to no end.

I'm with the other poster who wishes there was more "foreign" food here in Cali. I'm tired of Mexican food!

edit on 19-4-2011 by bg_socalif because: Fat fingers on the keyboard and not wearing my glasses!

new topics

top topics

join