It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Antichrist Particle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We all know of the hypothetical Higgs Boson being the alleged 'God particle', and we all know of the antiparticles that make up antimatter, I just have a question that relates to this, is it possible that this particle has an antiparticle equivalent, like the 'Antichrist particle' or something? I know it sounds crazy, and it probably is, but I, not knowing much about physics, was dying to know a relatively intelligent response to this nagging thought in my head, and knowing I did not possess the answer... came here!
edit on 18-4-2011 by Davian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Davian

The Higgs boson is its own antiparticle.

NIN Rules!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Every action has a reaction, so your line of thinking seems correct.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Certainly not a silly question. I believe the Higgs should have an antimattter equivalent, but as one poster said, it is its own antiparticle. Whether or not that is a correct statement, I'm not sure. I'll continue to watch this thread as I'm very interested in this.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Although particles and their antiparticles have opposite charges, electrically neutral particles need not be identical to their antiparticles. The neutron, for example, is made out of quarks, the antineutron from antiquarks, and they are distinguishable from one another because neutrons and antineutrons annihilate each other upon contact. However, other neutral particles are their own antiparticles, such as photons, the hypothetical gravitons, and WIMPs. These are called Majorana particles and can annihilate with themselves.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Although particles and their antiparticles have opposite charges, electrically neutral particles need not be identical to their antiparticles. The neutron, for example, is made out of quarks, the antineutron from antiquarks, and they are distinguishable from one another because neutrons and antineutrons annihilate each other upon contact. However, other neutral particles are their own antiparticles, such as photons, the hypothetical gravitons, and WIMPs. These are called Majorana particles and can annihilate with themselves.

They can annihilate themselves?

I suppose it makes sense that is its own antiparticle, since it is neutral (if I remember correctly), if there was one it would most likely be called something along the lines of the 'Higgs Antiboson', and would most likely, since the Higgs Boson is supposed to be the 'origin of matter', the Higgs Antiboson, if such a thing were, would most likly be the 'origin of antimatter'.

I always found the relationship between matter and antimatter nteresting. It is almost like good and evil exist.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Assuming that the Higgs boson exists, it is its own anti-particle.
That would mean it would annihilate itself immediately after or even with it's creation.
No more than does a photon annihilate itself.
A photon is also its own anti-particle.

But this is all academic until they find a Higgs Boson.

top topics

join