It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide by Crocidile...Theres gotta be an easier way...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Suicide by crocodile: Missing farmhand, 44, 'waded into croc-infested river after row with girlfriend'

A distressed farm worker may have committed suicide by wading into a crocodile-infested river, police in South Africa said today.Detectives believe labourer David Lubisi, 40, was eaten alive after he entered the Lepelle river following an argument with his girlfriend. The father-of-three has not been seen for more than a week after apparently telling a colleague about his painful plan on April 7.
Sergeant Malesela Makgopa today said officers believed Mr Lubisi had died in a bizarre case of suicide.

'He was last seen heading towards the water and never turned up after that.'We believe he may have been having domestic problems with his girlfriend and that he wanted to commit suicide'If that is true then it was a particularly horrible and painful way to die.' Police said the local community had been shattered by the apparent tragedy, which happened near the town of Bushbuckbridge close to the famous Kruger National Park in South Africa's eastern Mpumalanga province.

The country's Sowetan newspaper today reported that the owner of a neighbouring property reported seeing a crocodile with a human leg protruding from its mouth four days after the incident.

LINK to ARTICLE

Im sorry if others dont find this as interesting and disturbing as I did. I in no way condone Suicide but if people feel that it is there only option then theres gotta be an easier,less painful way to go. I understand if the man was distraut and felt like he had no choice to go but at least find a better way. He coulda at least gave himself that. Theres nothing in this world bad enough to make somone go off and feed themselves to a crocidile...especially because of a girl..theres billions of others to choose from...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
good god...what a way to go out i guess...all over a chick too...how retarded

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Lots of people chose to die by wild animals....dont ask me why but theres pleny of incidents like this each year.

Im pretty sure these people are high on drugs (alcohol, crack etc) when they finally come face to face with their killer. But the adrenaline alone would make you not feel a thing i would imagine....face to face with a lion, alligator, bear etc...your going to be so scared your body will pretty much shut down.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

If I had to choose it would have to be death by breasts.
Alligator seems to painful.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
My curiosity for this story was did he fight? Suicide IMHO is a willing way to allow yourself to allow death. I wonder if after this he fought to get away or even fought a little with the alligator. Would that still constitute it as a suicide?
Wouldn't our natural instinct tell us to get away?

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I would of thought so to but it can be overcome...

I have a relative that commited suicide and I can tell you once someone has their mind set on something, they'll do it one way or another regardless of their instincts

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I would imagine it drowned him and placed him somewhere underwater or on a bank, hence why his leg was seen protruding from a crocodile's mouth four days later. What a horrific way to meet your end. As was mentioned earlier, it does happen quite often where people use the natural instinct of wild animals as their revolver. In response to NoRegretsEver's post, I'm quite sure he reacted to the best of his ability when the animal latched onto him with a vice like grip and began to death roll. The pressure of the crocodile's bite is more than 5,000 pounds per square inch so i highly doubt there was much of a struggle, the crocodile's main goal was to seize and drown, i personally wouldn't even want to imagine the force that hit that poor man during the attack.
edit on 18-4-2011 by secondlanguage because: added to original post

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I don't know so much about this newspaper article, something about it just seems offish.

Look a crock is a biiig mamma, the only time that it actually needs to store it's food over a couple of days, is if a big animal like buck etc. It doesn't sound right that it was this guy's leg protruding from a crock's mouth 4 days later. Just the other day, they found a fully grown man in the belly of a crock. We're not talking about alligators here, alligators are tiny in comparison to a fully grown crock.

Another thing that is off about this, is the fact that those rivers up there are so infested with crocks, people don't go anywhere near them. They're afraid of the crocks. Where we do get people actually going into the river is a bit higher up, in the Zambezi river. I'll explain now... I looked for this river they mentioned in the article and google couldn't find it, so I went by Bushbuckridge. Yes, it's Bushbuckridge, not Bushbuckbridge. And yes there is a river running just off from the area. This river does seem to stem from the Zambezi.

Ok now to get back to what I wanted to explain. We here in SA have a problem over there at the Zambezi, illegal immigrants trying to get into SA tend to try try to steal over (or rather through) the Zambezi (the actual border). This might just give you a sort of an idea of how bad it must be in Zimbabwe for people to do this to attempt to get out. They will risk getting eaten by crocks. It's a very real problem we have, and we can't do much about it, as these guys that do this, and sometimes take their whole families with them, are desperate. Those rivers are literally infested with crocks.

This is why this article is so unlikely, this guy, is not from Zim, he is not trying to escape terrible conditions (yes I do mean "is"). Now we have two angles to look at, that makes this story implausible. Crocks don't need to store a human for days before finishing his meal, AND this guy was terrified of the river, as everybody else here in SA is. We know and have all heard of someone getting grabbed by a crock. Now add to that, that a body that's been under water for days, you wouldn't be able to actually make out that it's a leg.

Here's what I believe happened, this guy ran away, he told his buddy that he was going to go into the river to prevent anybody from looking for him. There is no way that the police can claim that he was eaten, they have no evidence, unless they find the actual crock and open it up. I think this guy ran away, him and his girl had been having problems, right? Now in their culture, believe it or not, it is the woman's job to not only take care of the kids, but also bring in the money for the household, the man's money is his own, if he chooses to give it, then it's is by choice, there's nothing that says he has to. But now in the new South-Africa more and more women have been standing up for their rights, I suspect that is what happened here. And he ran. The leg could only have been from a fresh body, coming from the Zambezi, most probably, of an illegal immigrant that tried to cross the border "river", because we here in SA, would never do something like actually go into the river.

As for the police,
The South African Police Force is mostly a joke. Give them half and inch to get out of actually investigating a case, and they will take it.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
idiot.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for the update Fenix, I'm glad someone posted that knows the area in which this happened. However, your information is even more horrific of a story concerning the immigrants attempting to cross the rivers to their unfortunate doom. Just to clarify since i didn't see it mentioned, are we talking about salt water crocodiles or nile crocodiles here? I knew the rivers were areas to be weary of but i didn't fully realize they were death traps. Thanks again for shedding some light on the subject from a up close perspective.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Of all the ways to die...this would be right at the bottom. Man, what an idiot!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by secondlanguage

It's a big pleasure Secondlanguage, The Nile is very far away from the region we are speaking about it's not even in SA, but yes, we are talking about freshwater crocks here.

It's usually not all the rivers in SA that are dangerous, but lately we've had to be careful because the flooding caused some crocks from the crocodile farm? to escape. It's not exactly a farm, they raise and protect crocks. They've been finding them even in the Hartbeespoort Dam, as they're found they've been caught and taken back home. It's not like a zoo either, it's like the wild, only the babies are kept in pools until they're old enough to join the bigger ones. Normally we have safe rivers where you can find camping sites.

Errr ... got sidetracked there sorry, I just wanted to say not all the rivers are danger zones, just make sure that if you want to come visit, you don't just go and jump into any river, go to a camp site, they are normally aware if there are crocks or anything and won't let you go in the water if there's a problem.

Oh yes, about the illegal immigrants, yes, it is horrific, I think, if you're not there, then you don't actually quite realize how bad the situation is, not even us here on this side of the border can possibly grasp what is happening there. It's hunger that drives a person to take a risk like that, and a hungry family. If your kid was starving and you knew you could get him food just on the other side of that river, would you watch him starve? If the only way to get to the other side meant risking your life against crocs, it's your child, could you watch him starve? Or would you risk it? It puts it a completely different perspective if you look at it like that. I know I would go to the ends of the earth to make sure my kids are taken care of, including risking my life.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Fenix777 because: ETA

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Thanks again Fennix. While I have always had a huge interest in crocodiles and other dangerous animals of your country i learned as a youth the dangers of water in general. Getting in the water or even near the bank with a creature like that can spell certain doom. I do understand the basic geography of the country but i wasn't sure of the distribution of the Nile species since Nile Crocodiles can be found as far south as Mozambique from what i understand, so, thank you for clearing that aspect up for me. Will be interesting to see if this case is ever updated to see if he was actually killed by crocodiles. Thanks again for the informative post.
edit on 19-4-2011 by secondlanguage because: information added

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by secondlanguage

My pleasure, as for whether or not they update this, I highly doubt it, from the article it's pretty clear the police have made up their minds and decided he has committed suicide. It's just the way it is here in SA. I laid a charge of assault against a neighbor for hitting my son, about 3 years ago, nothing ever came of it. It's just the way things are here. They're either too short-staffed or too corrupt. The days when I would tell my kids to run to the nearest policeman if there's ever a problem are gone. Now I tell them, to run to the nearest private security person. Which there are A LOT of. We see them driving up and down our streets all the time. I walk 1 block to the nearest shop, in that time I will see at least 2 private security cars driving past. In our area our local shop contributes 1% of the slips that people throw in the box at the front, towards a private security group, which is just a local group consisting of locals that live in the area that take shifts patrolling our streets. We literally can't rely on the cops anymore.

This post is now slightly off topic, sorry Gdaub, just trying to explain why I don't believe this case of the croc is going to go any further, and trying to give you an idea as to how and why the cops would just accept a simple suicide, even if it goes against all logic. Not saying it's a definite that it wont, but I doubt it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
They may have wanted it to appear as an accident

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rirb106

That's also a very good possibility

Gangs that "uphold" the law of the community. It's just that they don't normally bother to "hide" their punishments to make it look like an accident. They know they'll never be given away.

edit on 21-4-2011 by Fenix777 because: Hit enter too soon ETS

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Bet she pushed him in.

new topics

top topics

join