It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are 9-11 Jokes Taboo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I was watching American Dad, and there was a skit that played on 9-11. I personally didn't think it was offensive, but others that watched it with me did. Could there be a way to not be offended, or is there never a time where 9-11 can be used for comedic purposes?

Here is the part of the episode.
ItWasWitches.Com

Id like to hear others opinions on this one.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

The problem is thousands of people died. That'd really not something to laugh about.
Family Guy is bad anyway.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

As I wrote in the OP this was an episode of American Dad, and not Family Guy. Thanks for the response.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

same thing. Lol

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

sorry but did you skim read the op said AMERICAN DAD not family guy...sorry i love all humour but i cant say how americans feel but i would imagine not very humourus...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

I read it, but for some reason wheñ I replied I remembered family Guy. Either way the point has nothing to do with the show.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I think that, from a global perspective, 911 was a tiny disaster.

But a disaster it was because it has been used to justify wars with death tolls (according to some) in the millions and as a way of defeating a legal system that had at its core the defence of human rights and liberties.

From the beginning, 911 was lies upon lies. No-one would deny that now.

The joke is on humanity.

edit on 18/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I didn't start the thread for a discussion on which program this was aired, I was wandering if there is a line that needs to be made? If this is indeed offensive? Or should this be taken as a joke and nothing else.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
American Dad, Family guy and The Cleveland show are all created/done by Seth MacFarlane. Who oddly enough missed his flight on the morning of 9/11 which just so happened to be flight 11 from Boston.( Yahoo Seth Macfarlane 9/11) Maybe he thinks he can make these jokes because he "cheated" death by sleeping in that morning or maybe he makes these jokes because two of those three shows are just sad and should be cancelled (imo). Or maybe its something else entirely. There has been numerous 9/11 jokes on all three of these shows over the years and I doubt they'll stop. Which is sad because at one time I loved all three of these shows and now I just watch "American Dad"

To answer you question though OP. I feel that nothing is taboo or scared or protected or whatever label anyone wishes to place on it anymore. Peoples memories are so short and especially considering the fact that a large % of the world feels that 9/11 was a "conspiracy" to some degree, it seems that this once off topic incident is now just another pun. Now does this coincide with what I believe? No. but that's just me

Anyways here are some more examples.

That is all

Trowa
edit on 19/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add content

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Disaster?? A tornado or a flood is a "disaster"- 9/11 was mass murder.........

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Hi NoRegretsEver, as an artist, I believe that no subject is immune to comedy. I may be wrong, but the idea that the absurdity of many tragedies can be translated through humor can work. It is a very fine line, and the joke can quickly turn sour. I personally thought this was funny, and I was a personal witness to 9-11 - it's what originally brought me to ATS.

ColoradoJens

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
reply to post by chr0naut

Disaster?? A tornado or a flood is a "disaster"- 9/11 was mass murder.........

Too right!

War is also mass murder.

There can be no justification for it.

No-one, really, directly threatens the US, yet it is involved in several wars right now and is comitted to "endless warfare".

Something has gone drastically wrong.
edit on 19/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

top topics

join