It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Geomagnetic Storm Expected Today (July 27th)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Official Space Weather Advisory issued by NOAA Space Environment Center Boulder, Colorado, USA

SPACE WEATHER ADVISORY BULLETIN #04- 1

2004 July 26 at 01:17 p.m. MDT (2004 July 26 1917 UTC)

**** STRONG GEOMAGNETIC STORM EXPECTED ****

A large and moderately complex sunspot cluster known as NOAA Region 652 was responsible for a significant eruption on 25 July, 2004 at 915 a.m. MDT. A radiation storm, currently at the S2 level, began soon after the eruption was observed on the Sun. An Earth-directed coronal mass ejection (CME) was also observed and is expected to impact the geomagnetic field early on 27 July. This CME will likely produce periods of strong (G3) geomagnetic storming.

Agencies impacted by geomagnetic storms and radiation storms may experience disruptions in the next 48 hours. These include spacecraft operations, electric power systems, HF communications, and navigation systems.

A full halo CME was observed on LASCO imagery following yesterday's long duration M1 flare at 25/1514Z. This CME will likely impact the geomagnetic field early on 27 July. Expect minor to major storm periods at all latitudes and severe storm levels at high latitudes. The storm is expected to end by 28 July. Mostly unsettled to active conditions are expected on 28 July. A return to quiet to unsettled levels is expected on 29 July with isolated high latitude active period possible. The greater than 10 MeV proton event in progress now will likely end on 28 July.

Let's hope nothing gets fried!

[edit on 27-7-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Interesting find, maybe submit for ATSNN. Here is a page with more description on the phenomena...

Geomagnetic Storm
Phases of a storm
Storms are typically divided into three distinct phases according to the signatures in Dst:

* Initial phase

lasting from minutes to hours; Dst increases to positive values up to tens of nT

dayside magnetopause is compressed inward (perhaps by several Re), with the following effects:
+ magnetohydrodynamic waves are launched, and they propagate into the magnetosphere
+ particle anisotropies favouring, e.g., certain Pc1 wave type, are created

* Main phase

lasting from half an hour to several hours; Dst can reach negative values of hundreds of nT

ring current is built up

strong cross-tail electric field pushes the plasmapause closer to the Earth, and peeles off the outer layers of the old plasmasphere

large, radially outward (in equatorial plane) pointing electric field builds up at the earthward edge of the plasma sheet - ring current system
+ this results into particularly deep mid-latitude nighside ionospheric trough

* Recovery phase

lasting from tens of hours to a week; Dst gradually returns to the normal level

ring current ions are gradually lost:
+ the expanding plasmasphere brings cold ionospheric plasma in connection with the ring current, resulting into ion-cyclotron wave growth and scattering of the ring current ions into the loss cone
+ ring current become energetic neutral atoms due to charge-exhange with the cold neutral hydrogen

Periodically structured Pc1 pulsations seen

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Dang too bad this is happening now.. i was just up in the mountains of Utah last weekend and had about the best view of the sky I've ever seen!

SpaceWeather.Com

AURORA ALERT: Sky watchers should remain alert for auroras because a geomagnetic storm is underway. It began around 2300 UT (4:00 p.m. PDT) on July 26th when a coronal mass ejection (CME, movie) hit Earth's magnetic field. The impact triggered intense geomagnetic activity, which was sustained through the night by a south-pointing interplanetary magnetic field.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I just saw this posted in a new thread in Space Exploration:

"I just received a call from Bill Murtagh who is the top forecaster for
the Space Weather Center in Boulder, Colorado. He told me the Kp index has gone off the charts and all SWC personnel has been called in. There is a great concern of a second CME heading towards Earth. There is a real and present danger of power grids going down. I am also told Dr. Ernest Hildner, director of the SWC, is on his way to Washington DC at this very moment.
Bill Murtagh has informed me our interview scheduled for tonight may
have to be postponed due to urgent circumstances."

What the hell?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Spaceweather.com is reporting that the storm is diminishing....

An intense geomagnetic storm that sparked auroras in many US states last night is subsiding. The storm began around 2300 UT (4:00 p.m. PDT) on July 26th when a coronal mass ejection (CME, movie) hit Earth's magnetic field, and it was sustained through the night by a south-pointing IMF

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I witness the storm yesterday night, and it was the most impressive I have ever seen.

At some point, the light seemed like a sunset and on other time, the sky looked like it was literally burning.

I spotted 2 chemtrails too

new topics

top topics

join