It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida gun deaths suspect named as Shawn Tyson

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

So you blame the entire US for the actions of a disturbed individual. Amazing!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

hahahahahahaha this dude thinks armed burglary is rare in the US...wow, people act like they know so much about the US when in all they dont know a thing. There were just under 20,000 reported armed robberies in my state alone last year. I'm keeping my guns thank you very much
edit on 05/24/2010 by FrancoUn-American because: left suttin out

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

I would partially agree with you.
I would imagine most of these "Gun owners" either had all of their guns locked up to be all politically correct (i classify these folks with the non gun owning sheep) as they truly do not have a gun.
Or there is group 2 folks that own guns but do not have them handy, once again see comment number 1.
For the folks who do "own" guns, they avert crimes.
As for your getting out of the shower, get a polymer, Glock, HK Etc. and that won't be a problem.

Now when i am in public many years of "paranoia" has kept me vigil, i look for things that do not stand out so i do not become a victim, many gun owners have my same outlook.

(Edit)
You might also consider that someone carrying illegal is less likely to call and report the statistic that tthey have prevented a crime, as they would then become a statistic.
Statistics do lie.
edit on 19-4-2011 by g146541 because: to add

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The citizens who LEGALLY own guns in the US, typically have these for home protection, and aren't carrying them around on the street. In fact, in my state, unless you have a concealed permit, you aren't even carrying them around at all, unless you're in the woods hunting.

So, the only folks with guns on the street, are the criminals, for the most part, except for those who are packing concealed. Technically, even a gal having a small pistol in her purse is illegal. However, I can't say the police really enforce this all that much, at least for those types who aren't likely to be in a gang, etc.

When I was a teen, a bunch of us were camping, and out in the woods, and packing quite a bit of heat. At some point, I guess a passing policeman heard the shots from the highway (we were doing some target shooting in a place pretty much where everybody does this)... He took down our info, and pretty much let us be.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think you might be mistaken about the # of guns people are carrying. In Florida it is required to conceal, there is no open carry yet. A whole lot of people I know are carrying their weapons at all times (including me). Women often have them in their purses. If you strike up a conversation about it, a lot of times, people start showing off hardware you never dreamed they had!

I also think the police do enforce the laws very heavily, if they become aware. Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit is a serious offense! I know a woman right now that is fighting a legal battle for her daughter, because the daughter and her boyfriend were pulled over, got mouthy, got searched, and she had an illegal gun in her purse. Deep DooDoo!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

It is not my fault (and yes I own guns... must be one of those barbarian troglodytesque cowboys) that a kid went off his rocker and decided to kill two of your countrymen..

Perhaps you should not use a tragedy like this as a tool for your Anti-American anti Gun political trolling. This is not to be used to further your agenda..

You have no say in whether or not Americans should or should not own guns.. Perhaps you should just focus on your nanny state.

I will say my heart goes out to these gentlemen and their families and may the boy who shot them pay for his crimes to the fullest extent of the law which I'm pretty sure is a death sentence.

On a side note.. maybe of someone with a conceal and carry permit was nearby we'd be celebrating a hero instead of debating the political aspects of a tragedy.

Lastly a 16 year old is not legally allowed to purchase, own or carry a hand gun of any kind. The minimum age for that is 21.. in fact he can't legally purchase any sort of fire arm as he is not a legal adult.
edit on 19-4-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
When will the USA get over its primitive, fearful gun-toting culture ?

Here we have two British tourists who went to the wrong side of town, and got shot dead, largely due to the primitive gun culture in the US.

There is nowhere in Britain where the possibility of being shot in the 'wrong part of town' is a serious consideration.

It's about time the USA entered the 21st century, and stopped the opportunity for these needless murders.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-4-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: Shocking grammatical error !

Speak for your own country buddy. Murder happens everywhere, regardless of whether or not you have a 'primitive gun culture.'

www.murderuk.com...

Without guns, your country has resorted to cannibalism (Peter Bryan, David Harker, Robert Maudsley), Murder by Assault, Asphyxiation, Blunt Injury, Mass Murders by Blunt Object (Karl Bluestone - Claw Hammered his wife and two infant sons), etc, etc etc.

Don't open your mouth because two civilians were murdered by not being educated on where to go. Every city has it's bad areas...Old Brixton and Catford are good examples of places to avoid in London.

Not to mention, our country, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, has used guns to keep you, and everyone else in Europe from speaking German on two occasions, as well as beat the piss out of your Army/Navy 300 years ago to gain our independence from your inapplicable in doctrines.

By 'inapplicable in doctrines', I mean the United Kingdoms 62,041,708 people, spread over only 243,610sq kilometers, thinking that their laws and ideas could possibly apply to the COMPLETELY different cultures, lifestyles, and liberties available to our 308,745,538 people, who are spread over the insanely vast 9,826,675sq kilometers of FREEDOM SOAKED, GUN FILLED, TONS OF FUN HAVING, AWESOMENESS that we all call home.

Cheers...'bloke'

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Remember:

Gun's don't kill people. The person who pulls the trigger does.

It's all about upbringing about if anything, you're still liable to have a knife stuck in your belly in some very low affluent areas in my town.
edit on 19/4/2011 by diamount because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Gazrok

I think you might be mistaken about the # of guns people are carrying. In Florida it is required to conceal, there is no open carry yet. A whole lot of people I know are carrying their weapons at all times (including me). Women often have them in their purses. If you strike up a conversation about it, a lot of times, people start showing off hardware you never dreamed they had!

I also think the police do enforce the laws very heavily, if they become aware. Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit is a serious offense! I know a woman right now that is fighting a legal battle for her daughter, because the daughter and her boyfriend were pulled over, got mouthy, got searched, and she had an illegal gun in her purse. Deep DooDoo!

why do you feel the need to carry a gun with you at all times?....surely there is an issue right here already

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenP

You never know when the need may arise for you to defend yourself or others...

Good reason to carry..

Not to mention it could serve as a deterrent because criminals won't know if the person they just mugged is going to put two in their chest.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Wow . . . Another excuse for the liberals of the good ol' US to ban guns.

The Constitution is not outdated!!! Technology may change, but human nature never will! Respect the Second Amendment!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenP

why do you feel the need to carry a gun with you at all times?....surely there is an issue right here already

Why?

I've never had a flat tire, but I still carry a spare. I rarely take a Tylenol, but I have a bottle in my desk. I've never had Measles, but I still got the shot. I've never been to California, but I know how to get there. I've never had a heart attack, but I still eat my Cheerios.

Why would you assume anyone has "an issue" just because they exercise their legal rights, and like to stay prepared? Do you suppose everyone with a spare tire in their car is just OCD?

I mentioned in all of my earlier posts how just having the gun changes every scenario. It changes decision making. It is a force equalizer. If, I ever find myself in a situation where I need the gun, I will have it. I have been carrying it for 15 years, and I have been in a number of scuffles during that time, but I have never once considered using the gun, or even alluding to the fact that I have one.

I have stopped and picked up hitchhikers and taken them to get gas for their cars. Would I have done that if I wasn't armed? I dunno. I have stepped up and intervened in heated arguments and worked as a mediator for strangers. Would I have done that if I wasn't armed? I really don't know. Probably, but the risk would have been much greater, maybe I would have decided to not intervene?

I wonder what type of mental illness causes someone to assume everyone else, doing perfectly legal things, have some kind of problem?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
That's all great, and don't get me wrong, I love Europe and think that they have great functioning democracies, however, the thing is that Europeans often forget that if it was not for the American Revolution, Europe, and a large part of the rest of the world for that matter, would likely still be under monarchial rule.

If the Founding Fathers, the people who introduced democracy to the modern world, thought it fit to include a "Right to Bear Arms," in the National Constitution, perhaps they included it for a reason.

My point is, although many Americans don't even have or use guns, the majority of Americans will tell you that the 'right' to have a weapon if you so choosed is what is important. To take that away would be to eliminate an important part of our national identity.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Here you go Sherlock! You spoke before researching the crime rate in your country...

Link Statistics

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents
The UK has 2,034 per 100,000 residents.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think you are missing the point.......you go ahead and get attacked by a guy with a gun, and I'll take my chances with the guy who has a knife.....Lets see who comes out of that ordeal alive. My point being, sure I could get killed by a knife...but there is a much greater chance that I will come out of it with some nasty stitches and a brief hospital stay. You on the other hand would likely be dead....which is the point. Knives are simply no where near as effective as guns in killing people. Otherwise our military would save some money and just use knives instead of guns....and gun nuts would have no argument for possessing guns for self protection (which when looked at statistically falls apart as a rational method of self defense anyway, since its far more likely to accidentally shoot yourself or a loved one, than successfully defend oneself against an attacker).

Anything can kill someone....if you hit someone in the chest just the right way, their heart can stop....the point being that unless you are going up against a 'Ninja' (as in one story someone mention in this thread) then the chances of being killed by a knife are simply, far, far less than with a gun. That's just common sense. And since I have never ran into a Ninja in my day, to day life...I'm not too afraid of getting killed by one. Guns on the other hand are a bit more prevalent than Ninja's...

edit on 19-4-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: I just noticed that I miss-attributed the 'ninja' story to someone who didn't say it....so I just changed it to "someone"

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

OK, but if we are unarmed, then the knife, gun, bat, broken beer bottle, gang of thugs, can all be deadly. If I have my gun, then the balance of power is much more equal, and my chances are much, much better.

Yes, anything can be deadly, and the best insurance against that is to make sure we are all equally deadly. A little old grandmother with a gun is just as deadly as 3 thugs with baseball bats. Without the gun, she is just a helpless victim. With the gun, she is a dangerous adversary.

Criminals are looking for the easy way, they don't want to run up against violent opposition. An armed populace is an insurance policy against violence.

So, to complete your analogy, yes, bat beats bare hands, knife beats bat, gun beats knife, so..........carry a gun.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes the little old Grandmother WOULD indeed become much more deadly....to herself and her loved ones, as statistics have proven time and time again.

PS did you give the 'ninja' story example...or was that another poster?...I couldn't find it again, and my original comment suggested you posted it....Since I had second thoughts on whether it was you, and I didn't see it right off hand, I changed my comment to read 'someone' rather than you....I know its not that big of a deal but just in case I was wrong. I wanted to say sorry 'bout that if I you read the first unedited post, and I was in error.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

What statistics?

Care to share them?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

It was me.

There was a double murder in Pensacola about a year ago, where 7 men dressed up like ninjas, broke into a wealthy couples home, murdered and robbed them, while several kids were in the home. The couple was known for taking in orphans and raising them. The murder got a lot of press here.

I know ninja murders are not very common, LOL, but the point was that anything is possible, violence does happen, and guns are not necessary. On the other hand, a gun in the hands of a responsible person might have saved those peoples lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join