It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman : Let's install a ticking debt clock on the House floor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Gee the first sane thing coming out of the House in a while.

Congressman wants ticking debt clock installed on House floor

Call it a debt hawk’s dream, but Rep. Tom Reed introduced a resolution last week to install a ticking clock to blare the national debt directly onto the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Reed, a New York Republican who says he talks about the debt “incessantly,” said he had the idea on a recent trip to Manhattan’s billboard-sized clock near Times Square.

“The debt clock will be a distinct reminder that our national debt must always be our first consideration as we continue to spend money that we do not have,” Reed said in a statement last week.

Good idea. Put one in the senate too.

Now they won't be able to feign ignorance about the real debt...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i am game on this

how about they add a clock that shows the rampant fraud and abuse in all their entitlement programs.

while they are at it add another clock that shows how many illegals cross the southern border.

add yet another clock that shows how many americans are being killed from illegal immigration.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Oh yes, let's waste more money on political gimmicks and props.

Then maybe we can install a scoreboard...to keep track of ridiculous, money wasting, non-productive ideas.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

a few bucks on a clock seems cheap compared to the 14 trillion dollar deficit.

or few million on measuring cow gas and the thousands of other usless government funded programs

and come on now it will be made in china so you know it will be cheap

edit on 18-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Of course, we can't spend much money on getting these clocks installed.

However, how about a mandatory screensaver installed on EVERY Government computer, showing the ticking clock? This would go for office computers, laptops that are taken home, cell phones, and any other electronic devices capable of running such software that the taxpayer is paying for?

Make it a MANDATORY screensaver, with no option to remove. Great return, with minimal cost involved.

That way, it will be the first thing that EVERY Government worker will see in the morning, and when they come back from taxpayer paid breaks and lunches.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

And you know what? after a week or two, hell maybe even just days, they wont even notice the screen saver, as it becomes "just another thing".

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I guess they won't include a clock showing how many huge profitable corporations like GE paid no taxes due to loopholes. Taxes which would help reduce the debt.

edit on 18-4-2011 by Kaploink because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
how many times to i have to explain this to people

corporations like ge are multinational corporations

that means income derived in other parts of the world are not taxable in this country

only what it makes here is taxable by us law.

however i hate ge as much as the next person

but perspective is what is needed here.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
That would only work if it was attached to a bomb set to go off once the debt exceeds the country's GNP.

Or, is it too late for that already.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
They should put one on the white house lawn as well, give the elected officials 6 months to reverse it, if they cant do it in a "sane" manner then replace them, rinse and repeat.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think its a great idea. A little reality check can go a long way.

I've got a call into Flava Flav to see what kind of clock he can come up with to hang around Obama's neck.

Let the spending continue into oblivion. Let's see what rises out of the ashes. The cockroaches in DC will be the first to dust themselves off.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think a ticking clock with mind-boggling numbers would just confuse their simple minds. I propose that we keep it simple. Let's install a red-light/green-light system instead.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Oh yes, let's waste more money on political gimmicks and props.

Id rather see money spent on " gimmicks and props " as you claim, rather than see green light funding for worthless causes like ACORN,or clearing the way for worthless earmarks for Napa Valley Wine train. 11,320 earmarks noted for a combined expenditure of 32 billion into last year alone.

Doesn't seem like a worthy cause.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

a few bucks on a clock seems cheap compared to the 14 trillion dollar deficit.

or few million on measuring cow gas and the thousands of other usless government funded programs

and come on now it will be made in china so you know it will be cheap

edit on 18-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

a few bucks for poor people to eat seems cheap compared to a 14 trillion dollar debt.
a few bucks for old people to get medicine seems cheap compared to a 14 trillion dollar debt.
a few bucks for our schools to stop producing retards seems cheap compared to a 14 trillion dollar debt.

its so ironic that a "conservative" like you is willing to spend money on stupid gimmicks that makes your political party seem smart, but dont want to spend money to help your countrymen.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

how many times to i have to explain this to people

corporations like ge are multinational corporations

that means income derived in other parts of the world are not taxable in this country

only what it makes here is taxable by us law.

however i hate ge as much as the next person

but perspective is what is needed here.

THAT IS UTTER BS!
Wow, nice way to scrape down and lick the boots of your corporate masters....keep making excuses for them.

ARE YOU SAYING GE EARNED NO TAXABLE INCOME IN THE US?

I guess no one ever accused you of being the sharp knife in the drawer.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

well since they are stealing my tax dollars why shouldnt i have the say.

you really think that liberals give a damn about people? hell no they dont the only thing they care about is their votes.

and seriously when your side gives up abortion then you can get to lecture me on morality and ethical conduct.

meh what a wasted post

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

personal insult which i wont address

total bs

then explain the tax code right here and right now.

i make $1 million dollars in the uk does the us have any rights to that money ? no they dont.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

well since they are stealing my tax dollars why shouldnt i have the say.

you really think that liberals give a damn about people? hell no they dont the only thing they care about is their votes.

and seriously when your side gives up abortion then you can get to lecture me on morality and ethical conduct.

meh what a wasted post

You do have a say...its called a vote. Yes I do think "liberals" care about people, in fact "liberals" are the ones who argue for social programs, whereas people like you do not. If it was between a random liberal on the street and you for who cared more about American citizens, I would choose the random liberal, based on your post history.

When "your side" gives up wars of conquest, then you can lecture me on the morality of abortion.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

personal insult which i wont address

total bs

then explain the tax code right here and right now.

i make $1 million dollars in the uk does the us have any rights to that money ? no they dont.

Are you saying that GE made no income in the United States at all? If they made income, they are to be taxed on it. Instead they used lawyers, and loopholes they bribed open to not pay a dime....and people like you help them get away with it.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

wars of conquest ok when obama pulls out of lybia and iraq and afghanistan

and again wars and caring about people and supporting the wholesale slaughter of children-abortion.

man your trolling here and this has nothing to do with the op

so im out

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join