It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do i make apple pies where the bottom crust doesn't turn stodgy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I am pretty good at making pastry but when i make fruit pies the bottom crust never sets properly the top is great but the bottom crust never seems to cook correctly ....Any ideas that may help

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think your supposed to freeze the crust first???

But I am no chef.

First make sure that the problem is not in the way you are cooling your pie. To keep the pastry from getting soggy, make sure you cool the pie on a wire rack. This will keep the pie elevated so that air can circulate around the bottom. I know it's tempting to cut into a pie right from the oven. But don't. If the pie is cut while hot, you break the bottom crust and it will soak up the hot fruit juices and get soggy.
If that is not the problem then try these ideas.
Bake the pie on a lower rack in your oven. This will concentrate heat on the bottom of the pie and help the crust crisp.
Use a glass pie plate. Glass pie plates give the flakiest results and produce a more evenly browned crust.
Partially pre bake your pie crust before adding the filling.
Brush the bottom crust with corn syrup before filling. This works like a seal and will keep the crust from absorbing the filling.
If the recipe calls for adding the filling while it's hot, make sure you add it hot, don't let it cool before you add it to the crust.
Hope this helps and happy baking.

link
edit on 4/18/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thanks for reply ,i will try that next time i make a pie.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Try putting a tablespoon of tapioca or flour on the bottom crust to absorb and thicken the juices before you bake the pie.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
What kind of pie plates are you using?

I make a regular pie dough, roll it out thin, set it into the dish, POKE IT MANY TIMES WITH A FORK, sprinkle with a little flour and sugar, then toss in the fruit mix... Glass dish, never fails...

Hope it works for you!

peace

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Thanks for your idea will try that as well.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have tried all kinds of dishes !! none seem to work ,i do roll the pastry thin but have not tried pricking the pastry ,i think that is possibly where i have been going wrong ...thanks

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
My mother told me the following and it comes out perfectly cooked.

If using frozen crust: thaw for 1 hour

Prick bottom crust with fork. Preheat oven 375 with a baking sheet inside.
Put bottom crust on baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes.

Take out and fill.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Would like to thank you all for replies ,i will try all the suggestions one by one ,once again many thanks

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
My grandmother always cooks the bottom crust first, before she puts the filling in.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by illece

Well what worked for me was, cooking the pastry first before adding any filling then, when brown leave to stand for about 15mins or put in freezer for 5mins to harden it. Once hard put in the filling and since fillings don't take so long to cook keep and eye on it until soft and not burning the pastry.

Hope this helps

new topics

top topics

join