It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would This Work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hey everybody this is my first post so bare with me...

I know there are a lot of people that complain how much they have to spend on taxes, and not only that but also where all that hard earned money goes. Right now we all pay our taxes and other people then us get to choose where that money goes to, which doesn't make sense to me. Thats where my idea comes into play.

What if paying our taxes were like giving our money to charity. When you give money to a charity it is completely your decision, you get to choose how much you want to give and what organization or cause you would be giving your money to. So we would still be given a certain percentage that we would have to pay as taxes but instead we get to choose where our money goes and what portion goes where. For example if you though less money should be spent on military, you could choose to not give any of your tax money to that cause.

Now I know this will never happen, but I'm just interested in what anybody here thinks of the idea.
It would eliminate the complaining about where the money we all pay for taxes goes but then again we would have to trust them to put the money where we say we want it. It would also require much more organization to do this.
So what do you think? Would it be better or worse than what he have already? Or do you even think it would work at all?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sherlook

In basic concept that's a great idea. In practical terms, never gonna happen, people will choose not to pay at all. A method of allowing the taxpayer to choose sounds good but i just don't see it playing out.

It's like those charity events that suggest a donation, but don't require it. most people don't pay a thing and walk away with a free dinner.

I'd settle for an accurate accounting of where every last penny of my tax dollars goes so I can be better informed when it comes time to vote.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Think about it.
If people got to choose NOT to give to Military funds. Who would fund the military?
Good idea in the sense that you get to choose where your money goes.
Taxes are just a bad idea in general.
I say we just restart our country from scratch and put everyone in power right now
on a remote island.

edit on 18-4-2011 by PoopDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

its a good idea but i think areas for tax spending that really require money would be forgotten, we'd mass choose the same thing and using good/bad media they'd also direct us to choose where to spend it.

the hardest job the goverments have is deciding wat to waste it on

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

Maybe it would force the big guys with the power to spend some of their "own" money on the military they are so fond of using....
pffffffttttt ahahah sorry could not say that with a straight face

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

Sounds like a great idea to me! Maybe we could do something where we pay a certain amount of money and get to go to the island and push them around for the day. Like a petting zoo with no rules
. I'd make the price to get in so low anybody could get in! Bringing your own props would be highly encouraged of course.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectrumSeven

Thats a great way of putting it. They've had lots of practice I guess.
I just feel like we can only go up from where we are now.
I'm sure I'll have a reason to retract that statement though

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Interesting concept, it is getting back to the roots of capitalism. Theoretically is sounds like a pretty productive place, practically it will take a revolution or systemic collapse to shut down the big government and the state it is in.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Yes I agree. I think a lot of bad things would have to happen first before we take a step in that direction
or any direction away from what we're doing now. I just want something new, things don't seem to be working out for anybody but the people in power unfortunately. Just my opinion though.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This actually sounds like a great premise for a futuristic comedy. Some government functions become grossly over funded resulting in outlandish extravagances, while other functions are reduced to ridiculous poverty.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by swordwords

Are you being sarcastic? Because that is the exact way I feel and
is part of the reason why this idea came to mind in the first place.

join