It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bogus tax returns filed with cops' IDs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Bogus tax returns filed with cops' IDs

www.miamiherald.com

By Sally Kestin
Sun Sentinel
Tax Day this year is bringing an unpleasant surprise to many South Florida police officers and firefighters — someone stole their identities and filed fraudulent returns in their names.

The culprits accessed personal information, possibly through city pension funds administered by a private company. The breach initially appeared to affect up to 400 cops and firefighters in Oakland Park and Delray Beach, but has expanded to include about 125 employees in Davie and at least one police officer in Lauderhill.

Slade Bruce, an Oakland Park firefighter and uni
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is an intriguing story of Identity Theft and IRS Fraud that begs the question if Government employees were specifically targeted as some form of political statement, or if it’s the dumb crook story of the year where the people being victimized have a lot more resources and incentive to find their assailant.

While it’s possible the list might have simply been sold to the individual or ring behind this it appears that a government employee database was used to get the names, addresses and social security numbers of the victims to carry out the fraud and file Income Tax Returns in their names.

Begging the question if the government can’t keep its own employees data safe, how secure is the data the government keeps on all of us?

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Wow... First reaction was .... Hahaha..

Second reaction was.."Wow,political statement or stupid,lotta angry government types are going to be REALLY tee'd off."

Glad they have no reason to find ME. I don't tee off people except my family. That's plenty.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is actually really funny.

No pity for the cops whatsoever.Hopefully it ruins their lives.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
sounds like old pages from the books "HOW TO GET REVENGE ON YOUR ENEMIES"

clearly they must have had it coming

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

It's a pretty brazen act. Usually the people working these scams make up employment information for the victim and file a lost special form provided by the IRS to people who either did not get a W-2 from their employer or lost it.

So it's possible the crooks don't even know that they targeted a group of police officers and firefighters.

If that's the case there sure are going to be some face palm moments if and when the authorities apprehend them.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

It does make you wonder whether 'constitutionalists' or other 'domestic extremists' were behind this attack.

Imagine if they got Janet Napliatano's information!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
sounds like old pages from the books "HOW TO GET REVENGE ON YOUR ENEMIES"

clearly they must have had it coming

They will eventually get their refunds after they sign a few avidavids, and additional forms.

Ultimately the IRS ends up the victim which I am sure many of us are going to have a lot of sympathy for!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I view this problem as way to introduce a new solution so the New World Order can gain even more power. Problem, reaction, solution Hegelian dialectic strikes again with impunity. Keep an eye out for the solution and test to see if it does not further consolidate power.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Begging the question if the government can’t keep its own employees data safe, how secure is the data the government keeps on all of us?

Not very secure at all. And it's not the outside hackers you have to worry about. Just sayin.....

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

This is often true the outside hackers do represent the greatest threat, though they might be our greatest asset in a fight against a tyranical government run amuck that is heavily automated and computerized.

It's possible though that a employee of the goverment with access to the information sold it though for cash.

A number of Driver's License rings busten in recent years have often led to someone at DMV being on the pad.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuxFestinus
I view this problem as way to introduce a new solution so the New World Order can gain even more power. Problem, reaction, solution Hegelian dialectic strikes again with impunity. Keep an eye out for the solution and test to see if it does not further consolidate power.

it seems every time we see examples of this, the next thing we see are commercials and ads everywhere for ID theft insurance and credit score monitoring ---- all for a fee of course !!

there were no insurance policies and score cards years ago .....

until the problem and reaction came true....

good post and observations !!

p.s. Proto...
wheeww......glad to see sensible theories !

edit on 18-4-2011 by xuenchen because:

edit on 18-4-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by whaaa

This is often true the outside hackers do represent the greatest threat, though they might be our greatest asset in a fight against a tyranical government run amuck that is heavily automated and computerized.

It's possible though that a employee of the goverment with access to the information sold it though for cash.

A number of Driver's License rings busten in recent years have often led to someone at DMV being on the pad.

and it could be that larger cartels and foreign crime syndicates are at work here.

there is billions of dollars at stake and up for grabs.....

vicious circles make for tight nooses.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Deleted

The actual text of the quote was deleted, because I wasn't about to be responsible for
repeating it.
Other than by the fact that others starred the post, I couldn't be more speechless.
Let em ask, what any cop or firefighter in Florida has done to you, to justify your statement?
Let's take it a step further. What has any specific victim of this fraud done to you?

If the answer is "Nothing", I challenge you to rise to the standards of ATS and delete your post.

(Expecting my post will be deleted in five, four, three, two...)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Why would you want their lives ruined, they more then likely have wives and children, you're talking about families here not just one individual.

I would never wish ruin on anyone, my feeling is that what goes around comes around.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Now Thats funny

I wonder how they feel about being picked at random to be robbed......kinda like they do us............LOL

top topics

join