It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U S shirking it’s duty to democracy ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Is the U S shirking it’s duty to democracy ?

If the U S does not exercise Police action in the East, is it shirking it’s duty to Democracy?

Like it or not, the Western forces, through the U N’s use of U S military might, along with it’s allies, and the World Bank, Police the world.

A speedy resolve to many of the relatively small wars around the globe could be ours, if we all just told the U S to just do it’s Job and go do the will of the revolutionary forces and take over.

With environmental change moving along at a brisk pace, we as peoples must impose peace more quickly in order to divert resources to life instead of death.

Clearly the people of the East are hesitantly showing that they wish to share, in Western culture. There are points of irritation, so to speak, between East and West but a rapprochement, on the big picture, is obvious.

We know that there are two ways to conquer a nation. Physical warfare or economic warfare. China, as well as other powerful economies, are presently putting economic pressures on the U S economy and therefore inhibiting the U S efforts to protect the revolutionary forces with police action, as opposed to, military, forces.

Democracy would be well served if these countries would ease up just a bit and allow the earth to benefit.

Let me be quick to tell my American friends that in no way do I intend or desire to denigrate U S actions to date. I ask the question more for a future, more simplistic time.

The question then should really be, Is the U S shirking it’s duty to democracy, by not advocating an easing of pressure on the economic front, to facilitate an advance on the switch from military intervention, to a more police style intervention with military intervention, as required.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hm well, through american history, whenever yuo heard a president speak it wa about democracy, being the best, and preservicn peace around the world. Now , werein capitalsim, and the major cause of world wars it seems. somethings is DEF very worng here.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
America has no allegiance to Democracy. America is not a Democratic state. It is a Republic state. Huge difference. Democracy is mob rule.
edit on 18-4-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It is unconstitutional for the U.S.to act as the world police.

It is not our job, nor our duty to act as the global installer of democracy.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Just review the bush elections, it ain't about democracy.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
Just review the bush elections, it ain't about democracy.

The U.S. is not a democracy.

We are a Constitutional republic.

But don't let fact get in the way of your emotion based argument or anything.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

They what are elections for?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

To elect our leaders? Thats how a Republic works.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Exactly, so what is it when the people vote for one leader, but another leader gets in? Wether you want to call it a failing of a republic or a democracy is missing the point. It is corruption, an oligarchy, a dictatorship, centralised control where the will of the people is at best an opinion poll, not a deciding factor.

These wars are not about the will of the people for which every word you want to use, it is about power and control. So in the OP's question, Is the U S shirking it’s duty to democracy? I say it has more than shirked it, but lost it.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Its called the electoral college system as was put in place by the founding fathers on the off chance the people made an error in judgement by electing a person who should not be elected. However, over the years, and in an effort to circumvent the electoral college system to the extent of makin sure the peoples vote is heard, states passed laws that require the electoral college to vote for how the majority of the people in the state voted.

We live in a Republic, which means the people elect their representatives and send them to government to act on their behalf.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing whats for dinnner....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb contesting the vote.

As far as the OP goes - We are damned if we do, and we are damned if we dont.

The world has made it very clear they grow tired of the US and its actions, and I for one am supporting the idea of bringing all the troops home, closing down the 300 + bases we have world wide and fixing things here for a change.

By God we cant remove Saddam from power, regardless of the fact he kills his own people, yet the UN goes where angels fear to tread with regards to Libya.

May fortune favor the foolish.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

To elect our leaders? Thats how a Republic works.

Its also how a democracy works!
The real problem with the world, not just America, today is the gap thats opening up between our elected leaders and the people... They are not accountable anymore.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I was thinking more along the lines of rigged voting machines, certain populations banned from voting, gerrymandering (moving political voting boundaries to get more seats for a certain party) and finally having family in the courts to disregard the vote. But you make some good points as well.

It is sad to see what is happening in your country as it invests more and more into assault, there has been a loss to the connection of what was once worth fighting for. As it is stuck in these motions, the nation and the world is paying for it as few profit amongst all the destruction. May your foolish ideas serve you well.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We have no business interfering. Sure, we can get all emotional and stirred up in the idea of giving freedom and liberty to the poor souls overseas, but what RIGHT or DUTY do we have to it, especially when we have not been asked by the people.

I am pagan and polyamorous. I live a very happy and rewarding life. Now should I start going door to door and imposing my beliefs on all those poor miserable Christians? I think not.

edit on 4-18-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Why do you think democracy is the best way, or even the way for other nations? I personally think democracy is a pain in the butt. I live in a democratic republic and I hate the way government works here. I hated it in the States too. I have little good to say about it because it is an inherently flawed system. That flaw is the same as for Communism. If people were good, fair, honest, forthright, considerate, thinking beings both systems would work just fine. In fact, probably all systems would work just fine. The fact that we kinda suck and blow at the same time makes for failure of any and all the major systems presently.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
The fact that we kinda suck and blow at the same time makes for failure of any and all the major systems presently.

Nicely put

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
"Democracy is the worst form of government, except when compared to all others"

Winston Churchill

As far as the mess we are in, its our fault. We have failed to hold our government accountible.. Instead of demanding cuts in the budget, we have groups who are protesting so they dont lose benefeits / funding / grants / etc.

We get to overthrow our government every 2 years, and every time it comes up, we become apathetic, complain about the broken system, rubber stamp the people who shouldnt be in office, then go home.

My comment about fortune favoring the foolish was not directed at the US.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
It is unconstitutional for the U.S.to act as the world police.

It is not our job, nor our duty to act as the global installer of democracy.

Yet every president has a war.

In Libya we have an excellent opportunity for a successful one yet we sit on our hands. Sigh.

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
We have no business interfering. Sure, we can get all emotional and stirred up in the idea of giving freedom and liberty to the poor souls overseas, but what RIGHT or DUTY do we have to it, especially when we have not been asked by the people.

[]

I guess that you have not heard Libya's cries for help as we sit on our hands..

Regards
DL

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Yes. It is.

new topics

top topics

join