It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rolling shutter effect - Don't believe everything that the camera sees....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DanUKphd
I think the Japanese Kid reflection delay was a camera fault.

Well, I've done some search about this video and the general consensus, including here on ATS, is that this is the result of the use of an editing video software, such as Adobe after effect for example.

In this short video explanation, "Captain Disillusion" explain it basically (saying that the creator of the video had frozen the girl reflection in the mirror)

Note that, although some said that this video is originally from 1986, I wasn't able to find anything that support this opinion.
edit on 19-4-2011 by elevenaugust because: spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Good post...I had seen the video of the Helicopter (called an 'anti-gravity helicopter' in the posting I saw) many years before....even though I was well aware of the rolling shutter/stroboscopic effect I must admit I was scratching my head for a few minutes the very first time I saw it...till it hit me what was likely going on. I am a bit perplexed by your last photo of the young child and his reflection. Though the difference is quite subtle, I am still confused as to how he could have moved his eyelids fast enough. A propeller spinning many hundreds of miles per hour is one thing...but I am really amazed that a human eyelid could move quick enough to fool a camera. Are you certain it is the same effect and not a double exposure done unintentionally, or even just a hoax? (Though I can think of no reason someone would hoax such a subtle difference...you'd think they'd go all out and make one set of eyes wide open while the others were shut.....)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
By the way, the diamond shape of the "UFO" in that video is another camera artifact, it's the light source being shaped by the camera's diamond shaped aperture, and as you can see later in the video, the object itself is not diamond shape. This is a common effect in many UFO videos.

Great post, and, sorry for the off-topic (it deserves its own thread, IMO), but this diamond effect is also clearly explained and demonstrated in this educational video:

Worth a repetition, as we still see this kind of confusion everywhere!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

The key thing here is that such distortions are fleeting and/or rare. Otherwise, it would be unusable as photographic technology. If it happened constantly or reliably, most videos of moving things would have these effects. But most photography nowadays is digital.
If the point of this posts is to explain away most UFO pics and videos, how do the effects persist over time as a camera follows a moving object to different points of perspective?

edit on 19-4-2011 by grizzle2 because: Added "and/or rare".

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Oh man, you've just blown some conspiracy theorists post with this. No aiens or government secret or haarp - just camera tricks. Ah.... camera tricks.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

So, this means that the shape-shifting UFOs are moving in some plane at the rate of an airplane prop or helicopter blade? Just as curious.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Yes, I see no reasons for the Flickr user to fake its own photography. And seems like there are other similar examples:

SOURCE

....also taken with an Iphone.

But you raise up a valid point, as it could be interesting to see exactly how is it possible the camera "sensor speed" to fool human's eye.

Judging by the extreme speed of both factors (The average time it takes for a complete human blink is about 300 to 400 milliseconds or 3/10ths to 4/10ths of a second.- source), I guess that this could be very hard to create this effect, having a blink of an eye slightly quicker than the CMOS sensor...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
At last some one has hit the proverbial nail on the head. Here is my opportunity to spell it out to all those who insist that "ghosts do not exist". Ghosts are existant. Here I tell you to look at what you percieve as "reality" as nothing more than your eye sight. which operates much the same as does the digital camera technology. Only at a much greater higher frequency of frames per second. Atoms oscillate at a terrahertz frequency. This is called Phase Modulation since the atoms are phasing into and out of "reality" at such a high number of instance per second. Electronic particals are the same as atoms except that they have a different "phase modulation" frequency and thus to your perception [consciousness] they have "zero mass" and "invisibility". The human aura is a very complex biological structure and yet is "electronic" not "atomic" and thus "invisble" and possessing "zero mass". Invisibility and mass are what is called relativity physics. For this reason therefore there are times when that which you experience as reality will be quite different from that which another is percieving as reality. Children are naturally on a "different wavelength" thus have their "invisible friends". However to a very great extent we all experience the same reality because we are all literally on the same wavelength. It is therefore true to say that Consensus Reality is simply a matter of holding to the Consensus Frequency. It is fascinating that the human eye is not always holding to a precise light frequency. Eye sight can oscillate into infrared or into ultraviolet. Even there are individuals who possess X-Ray vision ! It is because of this relativity physics that camera are often recording ghosts which to the eye of the observer were non existent. Or on the other hand visible to the eye of the observer and yet invisible to the camera. Now as regard to the mirror experiments illustrated above I have produced the following YouTube video for you. It is called MianYang which means in literal translation "To look at the stars in the sky reflected in a body of water".

Google Video Link

itunes.apple.com...

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 19/4/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

I'd ask for evidence for your claims if I didn't already know that there isn't any

reply to post by bhornbuckle75

What is going on with the chopper is that the person who took it probably purposly set the shutter speed to match the blades. It's a really neat and fun effect and easy to do.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I've always wondered about those supposed "rod" thingies that are supposed to be all around us, but somehow we can't see them, but cameras can take pics of them? Now I KNOW they are all around us..but they are just something as normal as a moth in flight.
Thanks for that link...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh! I always wondered why some cars' tires spin backwards when the automobiles are going really fast. Awesome!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join