It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of everyday items to stock up on?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
i can only think of food, water, medicine, soap, and laundry detergent. can you guys help make a bigger list? this will benefit all of us.

also remember the items need to not expire for a long time, thats the only problem with detergent since it is only good for about 1 year unopened, does anyone know a brand that doesn't expire??

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dylan201

Didn't know soap expired after a year. Wonder if powder soap would expire too? When we were young we used to wash our underwear with Ivory bar soap. Also you can brush your teeth with Ivory bar soap.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dylan201
i can only think of food, water, medicine, soap, and laundry detergent. can you guys help make a bigger list? this will benefit all of us.

also remember the items need to not expire for a long time, thats the only problem with detergent since it is only good for about 1 year unopened, does anyone know a brand that doesn't expire??

Im pretty sure that the expiry dates on a lot of things are there purely to make money. Give it an expiry date and then you are expected to throw out what remains and buy more after a period of time.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Books on wild plants.
You can learn what you can eat and you can even learn to make your own soap with certain plants.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

This is something you should begin with...www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_3 I looked at a few and this seems good, new paperbacks at only $11 inc shipping.

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation

The internationally bestselling SAS Survival Handbook is the definitive resource for all campers, hikers, and outdoor adventurers.
From basic campcraft and navigation to fear management and strategies for coping with any type of disaster, this complete course includes:
Being prepared: Understanding basic survival needs and preparing essentials, such as a pocket survival kit.
Making camp: Finding the best location, constructing the appropriate shelter, organizing camp, and creating tools. Food: What to eat, what to avoid, where to find it, and how to prepare it.
First aid: A comprehensive course in emergency/wilderness medicine, including how to maximize survival in any climate or when injured.
Disaster survival: How to react in the face of increasingly frequent natural disasters and hostile situations—and how to survive at home if all services and supplies are cut off.
About the Author John 'Lofty' Wiseman served in the British Special Air Service (SAS) for twenty-six years.
The SAS Survival Handbook is based on the training techniques of this world-famous elite fighting force.

Now I didn't know detergents expire. You need bleach. It is a disinfectant and can even purify water. In disasters you will have a lot of rotted and diseased areas. Bleach is the cheapest way to keep your area sanitized. Finding food that won't expire is the problem. Though water will be the first concern. Hard to find anything now that will be good long after 2013. Many expiration dates of canned and packaged food, nuts and rice etc will go bad by then. Garbage bags. They are good for a variety of uses and you will need plenty. I have been thinking about this myself. But we better get a move on. If anything is gonna happen I figure it MAY start 11-11-11.
edit on 18-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by neo4116

haha so im guessing that Washing your mouth out with soap wasn't a punishment back then? since you all already did that to brush your teeth?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Toilet paper, booze (at least a case or two), topical antiseptics, toothpaste, toothbrushes, wet wipes, bandages, sewing supplies, calcium hypochlorite (pool shock for disinfecting large supplies of water), aspirin, ibuprophin, duct tape, tea, beeswax candles (they burn longer), multivitamins, tobacco, garbage bags.

There are lots more, but many of these tend to get overlooked.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Meditation, awareness, love, joy , empathy, laughter, peace, looking inside for your connection to the divine.

Man has screwed up, if major change in consciousness does not happen now, earth will no longer tolerate this invasion and will take out every last one of us.

The only survival skills you need right now are spiritual ones.

Other than that there will be no escape anywhere on earth. Supplies will buy you some time, thats all.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Sadly Mom used to wash my mouth out with soap when I cussed. But it was in the last couple of years that I learned you could brush your teeth with soap. Also you can use it to wash your hair.

I would also add a couple of decks of cards to the list.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Salt and pepper as well as any other spices you may want. Consider that in middle ages Europe, pepper was worth it's weight in gold. Extra pairs of boots and WOOL socks. Super glue has a multitude of uses as does petroleum jelly.

top topics

join