It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bionic Arm Can Move, Feel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Scientists are developing an entirely new type of prosthetic arm and hand that allows a patient to regain not only movement, but also the sense of touch. American soldiers who have lost limbs in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq often end up at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C., for rehabilitation and to get fitted with prosthetics. Dr. Todd Kuiken, of the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, works with these patients who provide him with feedback on a bionic arm he developed. Kuiken's work has focused on creating an artificial arm which can respond to the wearer's mind. "What we do is use the nerves that are still left. Although the arm is lost," he says.

Iraq War veteran Glen Lehman's artificial limb allows him to open and close his hands as well as feel some sensation.

Source: www.voanews.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Cool!

Bionic prosthetic arms - a scientific invention that was once science fiction has now become science reality, with advanced models closely replicating the operating conditions of real human arms!

If you have a living relative who was wounded in either the Afghanistan or Iraq wars, would you like him/her to receive one of these bionic limbs?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Wow, those are really cool. I definitely want one.

What do you think guys, should I make my incision above the wrist, or below?

new topics

join