It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TOP 10 Friendliest countries in the world, recent survey.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Everyone I know that's been to SA all had very negative things to say about the country.. I'm surprised to see it on the list.

Canada and Australia I can see being on the list,
France though I'm surprised.. as well as Germany, they don't have a reputation for being friendly to tourist and immigrants..

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
really? canada #1?? I live in suburban Vancouver and I want to move because everyones an asshole.
the east indians especially, i'm not racist but they are the rudest meanest people ever. and they keep coming by the thousands. their children become gangsters and try to rob you. and no i'm not generalizing an entire race.
3/4 of them become little gangster wannabes and their parents could care less until they are on the news front and centre. either it's REALLY bad everywhere else or they just made a simple error but Canada isn't my first choice.

maybe the newfies are kind and the nova scotians, but here on the west, it sucks.

I was raised in Vancouver, and it is one of the unfriendlier places in Canada. It's too busy. It also has a high crime rate.

Since then, I've lived in Penticton - very friendly, Kelowna - not as much, and I'm now in Saskatchewan and it's very friendly. Especially away from the cities. I've heard Alberta is also nice, especially the north. If I move again, it'll be northern Alberta.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
The criteria used for deciding on this was the following :
1 How easy it is to befriend locals.
2 Learn the language
3 Fit into the new culture
4 How easy it is to integrate into the community.

Then let's break that criteria into its four components and see how things go.

Making local friends
1 - Spain
2 - South Africa
3 - Bermuda
4 - Canada
5 - France
6 - Malaysia
7 - United States
8 - India
9 - Mexico
10 - Germany
11 - Bahrain
12 - Thailand
13 - Russia
14 - Philippines
15 - Australia
16 - United Kingdom
17 - China
18 - Hong Kong
19 - Singapore
20 - Netherlands
21 - Belgium
22 - Saudi Arabia
23 - Switzerland
24 - Qatar
25 - United Arab Emirates

Learning the local language
1 - Canada
2 - Bermuda
3 - United States
4 - United Kingdom
5 - Australia
6 - Mexico
7 - South Africa
8 - Spain
9 - France
10 - Philippines
11 - Singapore
12 - Germany
13 - Belgium
14 - Switzerland
15 - China
16 - Malaysia
17 - Netherlands
18 - Russia
19 - Hong Kong
20 - United Arab Emirates
21 - Thailand
(from what they say on the site, this information is about how easy it is for children to learn the language of the new country, and they say that they didn't had enough data for the other four countries)

Fitting in the new culture
1 - Bahrain
2 - South Africa
3 - Australia
4 - Hong Kong
5 - Singapore
6 - Canada
7 - Malaysia
8 - United States
9 - France
10 - Thailand
11 - Spain
12 - Bermuda
13 - United Arab Emirates
14 - Mexico
15 - Philippines
16 - United Kingdom
17 - Russia
18 - Germany
19 - Switzerland
20 - Belgium
21 - China
22 - Saudi Arabia
23 - Qatar
24 - Netherlands
25 - India

Integrating into the community
1 - Canada
2 - South Africa
3 - Spain
4 - Australia
5 - France
6 - Bermuda
7 - Germany
8 - United States
9 - Thailand
10 - United Kingdom
11 - Malaysia
12 - Mexico
13 - Bahrain
14 - Netherlands
15 - Russia
16 - Philippines
17 - China
18 - Hong Kong
19 - Singapore
20 - Belgium
21 - Switzerland
22 - United Arab Emirates
23 - India
24 - Saudi Arabia
25 - Qatar

Now some more statistics (I love statistics
)

Using the local language
1 - Bermuda
2 - France
3 - Spain
4 - United Kingdom
5 - Mexico
6 - Germany
7 - Belgium
8 - United States
9 - Thailand
10 - Switzerland
11 - Canada
12 - Netherlands
13 - China
14 - Australia
15 - Russia
16 - Singapore
17 - Malaysia
18 - Saudi Arabia
19 - Hong Kong
20 - South Africa
21 - India
22 - Philippines
23 - Bahrain
24 - Qatar

Feeling welcome at work
1 - Bahrain
2 - Canada
3 - Bermuda
4 - Thailand
5 - Mexico
6 - Hong Kong
7 - India
8 - Germany
9 - Qatar
10 - Australia
11 - United Kingdom
12 - Singapore
13 - Spain
14 - United States
15 - Belgium
16 - China
17 - South Africa
18 - Philippines
19 - Malaysia
20 - Switzerland
21 - France
22 - Netherlands
23 - United Arab Emirates
24 - Saudi Arabia
25 - Russia

Healthcare
1 - France
2 - Thailand
3 - Belgium
4 - Switzerland
5 - Spain
6 - South Africa
7 - Germany
8 - Canada
9 - Australia
10 - Bermuda
11 - Bahrain
12 - Qatar
13 - Hong Kong
14 - Singapore
15 - Netherlands
16 - United Arab Emirates
17 - Saudi Arabia
18 - Mexico
19 - Malaysia
20 - United States
21 - Philippines
22 - Russia
23 - United Kingdom
24 - India
25 - China

Income
1 - Singapore
2 - Russia
3 - Bermuda
4 - Hong Kong
5 - Saudi Arabia
6 - Philippines
7 - Switzerland
8 - United Arab Emirates
9 - United States
10 - Qatar
11 - United Kingdom
12 - China
13 - Bahrain
14 - Australia
15 - Malaysia
16 - Mexico
17 - India
18 - Canada
19 - Thailand
20 - Belgium
21 - Germany
22 - South Africa
23 - France
24 - Spain
25 - Netherlands

Safety of your children
1 - Hong Kong
2 - Singapore
3 - Qatar
4 - United Arab Emirates
5 - Canada
6 - Australia
7 - France
8 - Spain
9 - Netherlands
10 - Germany
11 - Belgium
12 - China
13 - United States
14 - United Kingdom

Standard of education available to your children
1 - Belgium
2 - France
3 - Qatar
4 - Germany
5 - Singapore
6 - Hong Kong
7 - Australia
8 - Netherlands
9 - Canada
10 - China
11 - United Arab Emirates
12 - United States
13 - United Kingdom
14 - Spain

Enough data for now (sorry for the flooding
)

About the survey

The Expat Explorer survey, now in its third year, is the largest independent global survey of expats. Commissioned by HSBC Bank International and conducted by a third party research company, more than 4,100 expats based in 100 countries across the globe were questioned between April and June 2010.

Source

Unfortunately, my country is not on that list, I would like to know what people would answer.

We can see that we should always look for the source of the data instead of looking at what is presented to us, most of the time they show us the whole truth.

edit on 18/4/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I've not been in South Africa or Malaysia, so have no direct knowledge of those countries, but have spent considerable in the others listed.

I would put Australia at the top of the list, both in the cities and outside. I've found that in most countries, once you get out of the major cities, it is far more friendly than in the major cities. I love England, but find the folks in London like the folks in LA - not very friendly and a bit high on themselves. Australians, by contrast are equally friendly in the major cities.

I would put France as number 2. I have always had a great experience in France and found the French to be warm and helpful. The French also love kids and if you are travelling with kids, France, especially Paris is tough to beat. Huge contrast on that front between France and Italy, where Italians, with the lowest birth rate in the western world are not welcoming towards kids. Italians over 50 are, but under 50 they are generally not.

I would also put Japan on the list. I have spent a bunch of time in Japan and have always found the Japanese terrific people who were always extremely friendly and generous.

I would definately not put Spain on the list. I've found the Spaniards to be the least friendly people in Europe, by far. Even speaking Spanish, which I do, I have always found the Spanish to be less than welcoming and the terrible customer service you get is legendary.

Generally, if you can speak a few words, and show genuine respect for the culture, folks are friendly.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I am surprised that New Zealand is not ranked highly. I have toured there a couple of times and found folks to be very inviting and friendly.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

What a stupid poll. By a bunch of know nothing, bean counters, with to much time on their hands and their heads up there ....

If you don't think the good ole US of A is the mostest friendliest place on the planet then you are a fool and we don't want you commie left tards here anyway.

were #1 were #1 were #1 adinfinitum......

Have a nice day!

edit on 18-4-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

United States number 4? I think it all depends on where you go actually.

Definitely... if you visit me, I will shower you with oodles of charm and hospitality, like Momma taught me a Southern Belle ought to. Then I'll make you eat grits...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

When I see countries like Bahrain and Saudi Arabia getting on lists like Fitting into Culture, Fitting in at Work .. I have to say the article is complete BS and it's writers morons.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The data may be correct, but when you ask something like that to someone that went to work in other country, you are already being biased, because that person chose the country for some reason.

As far as we know, those people could have been from a neighbouring country with a similar culture.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
Definitely... if you visit me, I will shower you with oodles of charm and hospitality, like Momma taught me a Southern Belle ought to. Then I'll make you eat grits...

Make me? Try and stop me!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Malaysia doesn't sound very friendly to me - if you are not one of Allahs chosen people!

Malaysia advertises itself as ‘truly Asia’, ‘multicultural’ (working hard towards monocultural Islamic) and the ‘Image of an Ideal Muslim country.’ It’s not as ideally Islamic as the ‘Islam only’ Maldives (Island Paradise or Islamic Hell? - 15-08-08) or Saudi Arabia but it’s well on it’s way!

Malaysian settlement extends over 5000 years. The Malays are not the indigenous people who are still present. Like the Maldives, Malaysia had a Hindu and Buddhist base until Islamic traders began arriving ~11th century and finally, following a significant ‘convert’, spread in 14th, 15th century. For most of its history Malaysia wasn’t Islamic! Let’s hope the Malays realise this and exit Islam! Complete Islamization was slowed by the Hindu-Buddhist background, no Arab ‘conquest’, mixed population and involvement of the Portuguese, Dutch and finally British from the 16th -20th century (Japanese in WWII.) Chinese and Indians entered over a long period, particularly during European involvement with Chinese majorities in several areas. Under the British, all residents regardless of race were equal British subjects. The Chinese were originally poor but very industrious and educated their children. They developed a wide range of businesses, farms, plantations, mines, insurance and banking while the sultans who overspent became indebted to them. The British fostered education for Malays who entered the police, military, and administration.

At independence, the British proposed equal citizenship for all regardless of race- this didn’t suit Muslim Malays. The Malays have horrendously discriminated against non-Malays/non-Muslims to enhance Malay/Muslim economic and political power. Every assistance is given to Malays/Muslims –land, education, low interest loans to businesses, government tendering to Malays, tax breaks, technical and administrative jobs etc! The Chinese who built much of the economy are forced to ‘Malayanise’ their management –and suffer penalties! There is systematic positive discrimination in favour of Muslims. The Constitution was changed to make illegal any criticism, even in Parliament, of the Malaysian monarchy, the special position of Malays in the country, or the status of Malay as the national language (reference) .

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

1 - Canada
2 - Bermuda
3 - United States
4 - United Kingdom
5 - Australia
6 - Mexico
7 - South Africa
8 - Spain
9 - France
10 - Philippines
11 - Singapore
12 - Germany
13 - Belgium
14 - Switzerland
15 - China
16 - Malaysia
17 - Netherlands
18 - Russia
19 - Hong Kong
20 - United Arab Emirates
21 - Thailand
(from what they say on the site, this information is about how easy it is for children to learn the language of the new country, and they say that they didn't had enough data for the other four countries)

[Now some more statistics (I love statistics
)

Using the local language
1 - Bermuda
2 - France
3 - Spain
4 - United Kingdom
5 - Mexico
6 - Germany
7 - Belgium
8 - United States
9 - Thailand
10 - Switzerland
11 - Canada
12 - Netherlands
13 - China
14 - Australia
15 - Russia
16 - Singapore
17 - Malaysia
18 - Saudi Arabia
19 - Hong Kong
20 - South Africa
21 - India
22 - Philippines
23 - Bahrain
24 - Qatar

I would take issue with the data on these two points, I find it hard to believe the ranking for it's 'easier to 'learn' and 'use the local language' for Belgium. On both polls it is ranked higher than the Netherlands yet it is one of the same local languages in Belgium. It should be at least on par with the Netherlands but probably lower because there are two main languages in Belgium, so for the sake of doing it right you need to learn French as well.

After living in a predominately French speaking area and moving to a Flemish speaking area it's definitely more confusing than having to adapt to just the one language.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Malaysia doesn't sound very friendly to me - if you are not one of Allahs chosen people!

Well I spent a LOT of time in Malaysia on business...
In fact I had a company house down south and a company condo up north.

I always found the people very friendly and helpful..

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

1 - Canada
2 - Bermuda
3 - United States
4 - United Kingdom
5 - Australia

How do they figure that??

Don't 4 of the 5 all speak English?
Maybe some french in Canada?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
The criteria used for deciding on this was the following : 1 How easy it is to befriend locals.
2 Learn the language
3 Fit into the new culture
4 How easy it is to integrate into the community.

Here is the top 10 - 1 Canada,
2 Bermuda
3 South africa
4 USA
5 Australia
6 Spain
7 France
8 Britain
9 Malaysia
10 Germany

Where are you on the list? And would you agree with this?

Here is the link to the article.

VVV

Hey, where's New Zealand? We think of ourselves as being friendly!

Vicky

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Glad to see we made the list.
I do feel people in the south are a little friendlier than the ones in the north, though. It's a little more laid back in the south, so maybe that's why.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
5TH on the list . Aussie Aussie

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by yourmaker
really? canada #1?? I live in suburban Vancouver and I want to move because everyones an asshole.
the east indians especially, i'm not racist but they are the rudest meanest people ever. and they keep coming by the thousands. their children become gangsters and try to rob you. and no i'm not generalizing an entire race.
3/4 of them become little gangster wannabes and their parents could care less until they are on the news front and centre. either it's REALLY bad everywhere else or they just made a simple error but Canada isn't my first choice.

maybe the newfies are kind and the nova scotians, but here on the west, it sucks.

I was raised in Vancouver, and it is one of the unfriendlier places in Canada. It's too busy. It also has a high crime rate.

Since then, I've lived in Penticton - very friendly, Kelowna - not as much, and I'm now in Saskatchewan and it's very friendly. Especially away from the cities. I've heard Alberta is also nice, especially the north. If I move again, it'll be northern Alberta.

oh i totally agree with penticton and kelowna!! i love it there and the people! thats canada for me in so many ways.

and totally alberta too, people are very friendly all over in the small towns all the way up to edmonton and cold lake where my mom lives.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
canada friendly really? i find that hard to believe

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I am happy. I am friendly.

I AM CANADIAN. (That's a beer slogan that caught on.)

Really though, it doesn't matter because we are all one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join