It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most accurate out of the box rifle?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I love this debate and I personally believe I own the most accurate rifle you can by the Remington 700 5r milspec. I love the fact you can buy a very accurate rifle for very little money. Hopefully some other good weapons will be posted. The only thing I am lacking is high quality optics I had to settle for a Nikon scope but it is still good glass for the price.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
That depends ... target or useful in everyday life rifle. (?)

Could you run down/up a hill, pull up, lock load and fire accurately with that?

I've taken quite the bit of fleeting venison and whatnot in just that type scenario with this 'mere' .35 Remington iron-sighted pump.

It seems a nice target/range type 'weapon', but I wouldn't want to have to lug it around for anything other than plinking and paper 'hunting'.

edit on 4/18/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Good point about what you are using it for. I will say perfect conditions off a bench. To many other factors in the other scenarios to consider. I also really like the savage 10bas. Also the 700 5r is very light and makes a perfect hunting rifle.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
That is hard to say, as many factors are involved and there are so many rifles I have not fired for me to really say.

But out of my collection and the firearms that I've had the privilege of firing, I'd say either the Mauser K98 or my friends Winchester 30-30. I'm just talking about iron sights here, as you said "out of the box". My K98 is actually a russian capture from the battlefield, and it's a very accurate rifle.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Oroborus

I love the K98 and have shot it many times. I would love to own one with a original scope.

2nd

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I had a Winchester .300 Short magnum Model 70 Black Shadow that shot extremely well right out of the box. The really nice scope that came with it (can't remember the name of it but it it was very funtional) was dead on at 200 yds. The thing was it was just a bit too much gun on that lightweight polymer stock. 6-8 shots thru it would leave my shoulder black and blue thru a medium heavy jacket for a week to ten days
I let it go to a friend after I played with it enough.

I really like the Ruger Ranch rifles in .223 or 30 calibre. Good solid workin iron, and as accurate as you need a gun to be.

For a Carbine I prefer a Marlin anyday over a Winchester. the Winchesters don't have a high enough comb on the stock, and I have a hard time lining up my big head to the sights. The Marlin has a butter slick action too compared to the semi rough action of a Winchester.

Peace...
edit on 18-4-2011 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

To make the Ruger much more accurate they make a rod that you clamp on to the barrel and it stiffens it up. And it makes it as accurate as a ar15. They sell for about 100 dollars.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

For a little more lift off of your stock Blackhawk tactical makes a great riser that just laces up around your stock and adds that much needed height. It also looks really good and is a quality product. And it is also very inexpensive.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The most accurate out of the box rifle is the one that you can shoot effectively and efficiently in any circumstance.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Crunkman919

I get what you are saying. Like I said earlier perfect conditions off of a bench. My 22 is a tack driver at 40 yards but it is no were near as accurate as my .308 .

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Ah. In terms of target shooting at a range, the 700 is a sure ticket.

Here's something interesting. In the field performance aspect of things. Simo Hahya was a Finnish Sniper during the Winter War against the Soviets. He was and still is the most successful sniper in history with 500+ kills to his name in a period of 100 days. He used a Finnish M28 Mosin Nagant Rifle with IRON SIGHTS!!

I'm going to pick me up one of those in the future. The 54R round's been a proven man stopper for over a hundred years.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Savage 110.. They are known for their out of the box accuracy.

Deebo

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
firearms that are more accurate ` out of the box ` take much longer to go into the box

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Can't say out of the box in my case. But I inherited a SAKO Finnbear 270 that is a nail driver without having to re-zero the scope. Guess I'm more like my Dad than I knew. Gotta admit, I've lunked the thing around the woods entirely too much and now only use it when in a stationary position. Looking into a Winchester for the brush.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
In My opinion the Weatherby rifles in the Weatherby magnum cartridges are the most accurate out of the box. I think they have a guarantee of 1 in groups out of the box at 100 yards.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I have a Ruger 77 RS in .30-06 that I bought new in 1972. The early M-77's had barrels made by Hart and other barrel makers, I am told. Whoever made this one made it very well. The RS decodes to open sights with integral Ruger rings, should a scope be desired.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I've read that the Sako TRG was designed to be the most accurate rifle you can buy, but not sure how accurate that statement is
McMillan, Robar, Accuracy International, Cheytac are some others that come to mind out of the box, and then there's always all kinds of crazy custom stuff.
edit on 19-4-2011 by warpboost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Kimish you mean the Weatherby MOA rifles, they are guarenteed to shoot under 1 inch groups @ 100 yards with "quality" ammo. these rifles are identified by looking at floor plate it is engraved MOA., these rifles are tested at factory and when one dispalyes MOA accuracy they put a MOA floor plate on rifle,so their are not a lot of them around..look around in pawn shops here in USA you might find one priced no higher that regular Weatherby , just because pawn shop doesent know.also the new Savage Accu-trigger rifles are known for there accuracy too.if i was buying a used rifle in pawn shop, or gun show here in USA i would buy a Savage 110, they always have good accuracy and are good value for the money too.the most accurate rifle out of the box would be a custom made target rifle (4000$) ,if you have that kind of money you dont need our reccomendations.
edit on 20-4-2011 by madokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm partial to the Remington 700 series. I've given thought to buying a remington 700 SPS tactical. Out of the box they are supposed to be tack drivers. I've seen people get a half inch grouping at 100 yards.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

some people just do not get it would this help www.snipercentral.com...

The Remington 700 Milspec 5R rifle was first introduced as a limited edition rifle back around the turn of the 21st century, and ever since then it has been of keen interest to many shooters. The ability to have a rifle with the same barrel as the M24 SWS used by the US Army, and other nations around the world, but at a fraction of the $6000 price tag of the M24 is a big drawing point. While the milspec is not a standard item in the Remington catalog, it is still being made when possible and they are still popular. We decide to take a look at one more closely and give it a good testing here.
the point of this rifle is long range.

edit on 21-4-2011 by bekod because: text correction

<<   2 >>

join