It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
On October 15, 2008, Guergis married her former caucus colleague Rahim Jaffer; this was her second marriage and his first. Jaffer and Guergis became engaged in October 2007 and decided on the morning after the election to scrap their planned wedding date and to get married immediately.
“But, you know, in this business you get the brick bats as well as the bouquets, so when you confront these things, you deal with them and that’s what we’ve done.”
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has called in the RCMP to investigate embattled Conservative MP Helena Guergis. He also accepted her resignation from cabinet and temporarily booted her out of the Tory caucus.
OTTAWA—The RCMP says there is nothing to the allegations Prime Minister Stephen Harper cited when he dumped Helena Guergis from cabinet and the Conservative caucus.1
The Mounties have informed Guergis’ lawyer there is “no substance” to the issues raised by Harper when he announced April 9 that he was removing her from cabinet and calling in the police, a spokesperson for the force confirmed Wednesday.
On June 25, 2008, Paradis was appointed Minister of Public Works and Government Services, retaining his position as Secretary of State for Agriculture until October that same year. On October 30, 2008, in a cabinet shuffle following the election, he would retain the Public Works portfolio. In addition, he succeeded Lawrence Cannon as Quebec Lieutenant. On January 19, 2010, in a Cabinet shuffle. Prime Minister Harper appointed him Minister of Natural Resources.
Paradis is also facing allegations of providing favorable treatment to construction contractors seeking Federal Government business during a Conservative party fundraiser in the Montreal-area riding of Bourassa in January 2009.
Construction company owner Paul Sauvé, who organized the event, claimed that he heard Paradis talking about government contracts with Joseph Broccolini of Broccolini Construction. Paradis subsequently changed his story. Paradis now acknowledges that he discussed government business with a big construction contractor. Broccolini recalls “The only question I had time to ask the minister was about a project for which we submitted a proposal to a public bid process and that was cancelled afterwards" and “I just wanted to know if he was aware of the reason for the cancellation of the (request for proposals).
“The minister’s full of s---,” Sauve told The Canadian Press. “He did speak to me about that contract. He congratulated me, actually.
"For a year now we've been trying to get to the bottom of this sorry affair, and now there are lurid allegations about the minister and his cashmere coat," Ignatieff said. "And the question I have is, why is this minister still in his job, and when will the prime minister tell Canadians the truth about this affair?"
“No member of the government is under RCMP investigation. On the contrary, if certain business people broke the law, we have rules and they will face the full force of the law,” Mr. Harper said.
In light of revelations that an aide to Christian Paradis meddled in access to information requests, that aide’s subsequent resignation, and Minister Paradis’ refusal (at least so far) to do likewise, it is likely worth turning again to Jay Hill’s announcement in the House last May of the government’s new doctrine of ministerial accountability.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper defended his embattled natural resources minister Tuesday, saying Christian Paradis had fulfilled his ministerial duties by ...
The Tories funnelled about $1.3 million into the hands of more than 60 candidates, only to immediately take the money back. It's alleged the funds were then used for national ads which had nothing to do with the local campaigns of the candidates. Nonetheless, the candidates sought taxpayer-funded rebates, claiming that the money was for their own campaigns.
Mark and Guergis join former Quebec Conservative candidate David Marler, who also rebuffed Conservative officials when they approached him during the 2006 campaign. Court documents also show that Conservative MP Dave Mackenzie turned down the offer of a deposit and withdrawal of funds, but MacKenzie has not spoken publicly about the issue.
For Helena, the problem was that the Tory HQ In & Out Scheme just felt wrong in her gut: