It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signing statement: despite law, I can do what I want on czars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
As if hypocrisy and ignoring the Constitution weren't enough, Barack Obama has announced in a "signing statement" that he will ignore key provisions of the stop-gap spending bill that he applauded and took credit for just days ago.

In marked contrast to vows as a candidate not to use presidential signing statements as “an end run around Congress,” President Obama released a statement on the just-signed spending bill saying despite the law’s restrictions on “czars,” he will “construe” the law not to interfere with “presidential prerogatives.”

The move is an aggressive power play by Obama to gain an added advantage from the deal struck a week ago between the president, Republican House Speaker John Boehner and Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to narrowly avert government shutdown.

dailycaller.com...

This, of course, is in direct contradiction of his campaign criticism and vows not to circumvent Congress.

As a candidate for president in 2008, Obama blasted former President George W. Bush for his aggressive use of signing statements to alter how laws would be implemented after he signed them.

“Congress’s job is to pass legislation. The president can veto it, or he can sign it. But what George Bush has been trying to do as part of his effort to accumulate more power in the presidency, is he’s been saying ‘Well, I can basically change what Congress passed by attaching a letter saying, I don’t agree with this part, or I don’t agree with that part. I’m going to choose to interpret it this way or that way,’” Obama said.

“That’s not part of his power. But this is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he’s going along. I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for ten years. I believe in the Constitution. And I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We’re not going to use signing statements as a way of doing an end run around Congress,” Obama said.

dailycaller.com...

With even liberal pollsters like Gallup and Quinnipiac showing the lowest approvals of his presidency, it should come as no surprise that Obama has abandoned any pretense of regard for rule of law, or even his own "promises."

You get what you pay for.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I don't know if this country has the steam in there engine to impeach him right now but lets just hope the next person in office (who probably won't be much better) will help to have 90% of his bills and programs thrown out and repealed. He is a rogue, puppet of a president and a shell of a man who bows much to easy to lobbyists and corporate dictators.

edit on 4/18/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: Please don't quote entire posts ... especially entire opening posts

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
congress main job is not to legislate its to be the checkbook of the government

any constitutional lawyer knows this.

obama is a legend in his own mind and needs to be fired in a big big way.

egomanical to say the least.

2012 end the stupidity of obama!!!!!!
edit on 18-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And vote in someone that will give more of the same!

Seriously. People need to quit playing this game of politics and see it all for what it really is.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

my goodness.... i wonder how "rogue" this guy can get...............

i wonder how "rogue" he will get if the polls keep giving him "bad" numbers.........

Yemen,,, all over again?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Anyone who didn't see things like this coming please stand up.

I knew he couldn't be trusted when he said he won't abandon his senate term just to run for President.

Calling it as "a silly question," Sen.-elect Barack Obama (D-IL) pledged "he would resist any overtures to run for president or vice president before the end of his six-year term as a U.S. senator," the Chicago Sun-Times reports. Said Obama: "I was elected yesterday. I have never set foot in the U.S. Senate. I've never worked in Washington. And the notion that somehow I'm immediately going to start running for higher office just doesn't make sense."

There is a quote I can't find where he said something along the lines of (paraphrase from memory)"The people of Illinois hired me to do a job, I will not turn around and abandon them until I have finished doing what they hired me to do"

When I said that I thought, damn a politician who isn't looking for quick power and actually cares about helping people.
Just over a year later before the generally accepted election cycle he started ramping up the election machine...

As soon as he did that I knew he was nothing but a lying politician just looking for glory.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
congress main job is not to legislate its to be the checkbook of the government

any constitutional lawyer knows this.

obama is a legend in his own mind and needs to be fired in a big big way.

egomanical to say the least.

2012 end the stupidity of obama!!!!!!
edit on 18-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Actually their main job is too legislate and that's probably why it's the very first thing in the Constitution after the preamble. I will quote if for you so you may remember it for future comments you may make regarding congress.

Article 1 Section 1
All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
reply to post by neo96

And vote in someone that will give more of the same!

Seriously. People need to quit playing this game of politics and see it all for what it really is.

aint that the fkn truth.

we all need to just clean the house and feed the hogs

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

try agian thats what you and they think it is

but it is not congresses job to sit on their collective butts and pass bills all day long.

do you know what that leads to? the current state of this country today.

everytime congress passes a law it takes away our rights as us citizens.

reading the constitution was one thing but understanding the true intentions is another thing

and it was not to have the us government become the end all be all of our existence.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
every problem this country has ever faced is because of the government sticking it nose where it didnt belong. the days of kings and queens and dictators and presidents are over, now we just need to remove them all and get on with our lives before they do any more damage.

whats that old saying???? off with their heads???? well there it is

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

everytime congress passes a law it takes away our rights as us citizens.

reading the constitution was one thing but understanding the true intentions is another thing

and it was not to have the us government become the end all be all of our existence.

You're opinion may be an accurate description of the modern congress, but it is not how things worked for the first 150 years or so.

Congress' overreaching into States' Rights began with an interventionist Supreme Court enabling such with broad interpretations of the Commerce clause and its own increasing willingness to declare unconstitutional certain policies and legislation that it did not agree with.

Most Constitutional scholars will tell you that there is nothing in the Constitution which assigns any authority to the SCotUS to declare laws "unconstitutional," By assuming such authority, they effectively stripped away the representative functions of the republican legislature. Having accomplished that, they were able to re-shape government into somerhing completely other than what the Founders intended.

Obama recognized this evisceration of the representative nature of Congress and has taken advantage of it with his own extra-constitutional assumption of power. He isn't the first, but he is the most daring and dishonest so far.

Since he doesm't pass legislation, he can "legislate" from the White House thru czars, executive orders and cabinet-level regulatory agencies, such as the EPA, DoE and DoJ, and the supremes can't do anything about it.

The only remedy is through counter-legislation, impeachment or election.

He will go as far as he can to transform the US before he faces the voters again, manu=y of whom will have been catered to or otherwise coerced into giving him another term to finish the job.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
every problem this country has ever faced is because of the government sticking it nose where it didnt belong.

Best suscent(sp) line on the government.

The government is there to protect us from foreign attack and internal harm that's it.

I mean come on the original reason why there was no IRS was because "the king does not tax his sons" that prevents the kingdom from growing.
We are all the sons/daughters of America taxing us doesn't help us or the nation grow.

A tax on imports, and a tax on bought goods helps sustain the government without harming the sons and daughters.

The original constitution didn't even allow for a permanent direct taxation of the people.
It required a full balanced budget, take in a penny spend it.
The only thing they didn't have to balance was war because you can't predict war or it's cost.
To that extent you could tax during and after a war up to the point the debt is paid.

How have we skirted that?
Endless police actions, and wars, and military maneuvers that just can't be "planned for"
That is how they got around taxing us.

Get the government out of day to day affairs, and trim all the fat including the military except the actual pay checks to the soldiers, they fight and serve for us but they are paid less than some migrant farmers.
That's how government works they screw everything up.

Wow, that was a rant....

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia

Originally posted by anumohi
every problem this country has ever faced is because of the government sticking it nose where it didnt belong.

Best suscent(sp) line on the government.

The government is there to protect us from foreign attack and internal harm that's it.

I mean come on the original reason why there was no IRS was because "the king does not tax his sons" that prevents the kingdom from growing.
We are all the sons/daughters of America taxing us doesn't help us or the nation grow.

A tax on imports, and a tax on bought goods helps sustain the government without harming the sons and daughters.

The original constitution didn't even allow for a permanent direct taxation of the people.
It required a full balanced budget, take in a penny spend it.
The only thing they didn't have to balance was war because you can't predict war or it's cost.
To that extent you could tax during and after a war up to the point the debt is paid.

How have we skirted that?
Endless police actions, and wars, and military maneuvers that just can't be "planned for"
That is how they got around taxing us.

Get the government out of day to day affairs, and trim all the fat including the military except the actual pay checks to the soldiers, they fight and serve for us but they are paid less than some migrant farmers.
That's how government works they screw everything up.

Wow, that was a rant....

You obviously have no clue what's in the Constituion as pretty much every point you just made is false.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The Government is restricted to powers specifically given in the Constitution.
The Constitution does not give permission to tax citizens directly, therefore they don't actually have permission to do so.

Our Constitution is different than most, it does not say what isn't allowed, it says only what is listed can be done.

If you can't understand that, Congress, and the Federal Government aren't' allowed to do anything if the Constitution does not list it you don't have a clue what is in the Constitution.

It gives powers, any not given do not exist and can not be exercised.

new topics

top topics

join