It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: No nuclear risk to North Pacific fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Officials: No nuclear risk to North Pacific fish

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – North Pacific fish are so unlikely to be contaminated by radioactive material from the crippled nuclear plant in Japan that there's no reason to test them, according to federal and state of Alaska health officials. Dangerous levels of radiation have been reported off the coast from the Fukushima reactor complex. However, a spokeswoman for the federal Food and Drug Administration told the Anchorage Daily News that the ocean is so huge, and Alaska fisheries so far away, that there is no realistic threat.

Source: news.yahoo.com...

EPA say there's no need to test Alaskan fish for radiation. It's clear radiation levels, from water, air precipitation and milk, have been tested across the US and shown positive for at least some levels of radiation-but said not to be a threat-. See link:Blog

I feel they should test it, other tests went on, why stop with fish? Isn't it better to at least know the levels, most likely if it's in other sources is it in the fish too? To me it seems they are coming off as "trying to hide something" or so it would reflect to those who buy fish meat and others concerned.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
That ridiculous absolutely ridiculous. They have found rad. in France from the incident but dont wanna test Alaska because "theres no need". Ummmm yeaaa there is a need because we kinda eat the food that comes from there. It does seem like they are trying to hide something question is what could it be? The beginning of NWO? or are they just so stupid that they really dont think its plausible to test the fish. A few days after the incident they also said it would never reach the USA because the ocean is so big...but it did and is being found in milk, water, rain, meat preety much everything outside. This kind of stupidity really grinds my gears

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If they don't test it, there's no proof anything is wrong and people can go about their business as usual, oblivious to what's going on around them.

They should test the fish just to get a level reading if nothing else -- any logical person would -- just to see where we're at and compare it to new data gathered at a later date.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
My wife bought some fish from the Pacific yesterday. When I found out and told her how the Fukushima nuclear reactor was pouring radioactive poison into the ocean, and that the currents go all the way up into Alaska waters....

We threw the fish out.

The store we were buying if from had all the pacific fish on a big sale. Don't buy it.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The statement that they don't want to even test the fish in Alaska
is ringing a negative bell with me. I am sure people would
feel better and buy more fish from Alaska if they were tested.
I have been wanting some fish from Alaska but have put
off getting any due to not knowing if its contaminated. Why
let what may be good fish go to waste because they don't want
to test it. If it were to test postive it would save lives. So I
continue my diet of no fish unless I know it has been tested
and is clean from contamination.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

The store we were buying if from had all the pacific fish on a big sale.

If they cannot guarantee the safety of fish from the Pacific the
industry will go under for sure. I bet it was on sale - no one
knows if its good.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Everyone I know who doesnt go on the conspiracy sites, and thats most of my family and nearly everyone I know, thinks everything is fine and there is no risk because they are told that on the news. Should we blame the Government or all the people who can't do math 1 + 1 = 2!

Enough people concerned could solve this so fast, a couple miillion angry mobs that don't leave surrounding parliament, and alot of issues would be solved.

But alas, no one seems to care or notice.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

"Based on the work they're doing, no sampling or monitoring of our fish is necessary," he said.

I guess I won't be eating pacific fish/seafood. Just as BP is being covered up while the dolphins and turtles are dieing, they say the shrimp are safe to eat. Independent tests on the dolphins and turtles were confiscated by government agencies. is their anyone who can independently test in Alaska?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
pacific seafood industry is massive, news of tainted fish would be devastating. hopefully we can trust the government on this, but...............

I mean, reactors spewing radiation into the air and sea so long and supposedly it has zero ill-effects??? personally, I'm gonna avoid the stuff for awhile.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Think about WHAT would happen if Alaska tested their seafood to find out that it contains radiation.

Just figure that regardless of what anyone says, look at where Alaska sits in relation to Japan....

They are probably not saying anything because they know exactly what will happen.....close to nobody(you would think) would buy fish or seafood.

The radiation could very well be in low amounts, however, excessive amounts of radiation in things(food,water,air,etc.) combined increases probablity of effects of radiation and cancer's of the such...

If a sea creature is exposed to radiation, can it's offspring carry the effects or possible mutation(s) from the producer?!?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Everyone I know who doesnt go on the conspiracy sites, and thats most of my family and nearly everyone I know, thinks everything is fine and there is no risk because they are told that on the news. Should we blame the Government or all the people who can't do math 1 + 1 = 2!

Enough people concerned could solve this so fast, a couple miillion angry mobs that don't leave surrounding parliament, and alot of issues would be solved.

But alas, no one seems to care or notice.

I've seen reply posts, where this is posted by news(few diff sources) or people taking notice. I will be sure to let friends and family know. Doing that might help spread the news.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It seems like something out of a bad comedy, but...People might want to start taking their geiger counters to the grocery store.

Of course, everyone will freak out the first time one goes off (and it will).

So, on the endangered food list we have:

milk (and, by extension, cows)
leafy vegetables
fish
and many more to come

Check please! And no, I don't need a doggie bag.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I really wouldn't worry about North Pacific fish caught out of Alaska, it is an incredibly long distance from the plant. Also if you look at the currents of the Pacific the radiation will be forced down and around the entire ocean before it gets there.Thats a lot of time and dilution before it gets to the Alaskan fishing waters. So, things like salmon, halibut and cod are more than likely to be free of radiation. However I would stay away from Pacific Tunas (Albacore, Yellowfin, Bluefin) and Mahi Mahi for the time being until we have a clearer picture of the damage done.

Side note: Salmon season has not yet begun in the north pacific, so the stuff you are buying was frozen at peak season last year. No chance of radiation stock up on frozen stuff before the season starts.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The FDA is a joke, if you don't believe me look up aspartame. If their is dangerous radiation in these fish they'll never tell us. Too big of a market. Because that's what it's all about to them, money.

top topics

join