It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Sends out Layoff Notices to ALL 5,466 Public Teachers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
America you have become so stupid!

How could anyone think that replacing the public school system with a private corporate run school system is a good thing? People cannot afford gas yet some think we can afford private school?

Instead of bailing out the American home owner we bailed out the banks tht created this mess. Now we dont have a good enough property tax base to take care of EVERYTHING any sane person wants a government in place for and instead we have endless wars for the military industrial complex and leave nothing that I want to pay taxes for in the first place.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
America you have become so stupid!

How could anyone think that replacing the public school system with a private corporate run school system is a good thing? People cannot afford gas yet some think we can afford private school?

Instead of bailing out the American home owner we bailed out the banks tht created this mess. Now we dont have a good enough property tax base to take care of EVERYTHING any sane person wants a government in place for and instead we have endless wars for the military industrial complex and leave nothing that I want to pay taxes for in the first place.

I agree with you in that this is a symptom of our dysfunctional system. If the attitude of the rich and powerful would turn expenditures toward the good of our people, then these problems could get solved. Apparently these issues aren't a problem for the rich and powerful elite though. Ultimately it is "dog eat dog" which we should change to "eat the rich", they're tastier than dog meat.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yep, yet again one more nail in the proverbial coffin of the dead american dream. BUT, lets get back to these foreign wars that must be fought for overseas, so that Americans can be free

Sick and twisted, as these young men and women will be coming back to a country that is in the midst of burning-and its demise

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It appears ALL the teachers were union* This is union busting* as what ive read, thier not big on in michigan these days. they want the unions gone. remember a month or so ago, some senator of governor thier was caught writting emails about setting up the union to fall? he resigned as he got caught*
wait n see..thier gunna bring in people who are willing to work for half the pay, many probably not even actual americans, teaching american historical events and history as well. wait n see. the system is now is kinda like around the depression, or when immigrants from the 1800's and up came here...thiers an irish story i remember. an irish man heard back home, the streets in america were mae of gold, their was work and freedom. well he cmae to america, and discovered 3 things..the streets were not made of gold, thier were no streets at all, they expected HIM to make the streets. what the means/implys is, slave labor, cheap labor to save costs. Throught the 50's and up, salarys improved, well at least for white american citizens they did. african americans still had a hard time meeting a same fairness of salarys, even from corporations. so did women. god does our system discriminate big time. its simply forgotten n swept under the carpet. the problem with that is, its happeneing again, only not on a race scale. the system now favors illegals.
we, the tax payers, once again, are the street makers,f idning out what we heard is a lie or stalry only, and were expected now, too show suppor, effort towards the CEO;s, big wigs, government officials who are living the high life, and taking away what you and me bought through thier system. captilasim is a good thing, providing thiers laws, and regulated, so ..id unno..layoffs dont happen? we never had this problem like this, till bush was in office. secratary fo treasury is just as responsable as far as im concerned...since he is an extension of wallstreet. thye de regualted everything, and now want union jobs gone.

In 1935-37, chevrolet went on strike. The company had police and thugs help them, hitting women, ebating men who were employed thier. Roosevelt, brought in the national guard..and they pointed thier guns, at the police and thugs, to back off the workers. that alsted 44 days. too bad thiers no more presidents like him around, looking out for us all, and not wallstreet.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
As a joke, would be interesting to email em or call n ask if they know what happened too jimmy hoffa
i ts meant too ridicule them.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

This is what the recession looks like in a country that’s decided to disinvest in public education. Reuters reports that Robert Bobb, the emergency financial manager appointed to address the Detroit’s bleeding public school system, has decided to send notices to all 5,466 unionized public school teachers. And 250 administrators will get layoff notices as well.

LINK

So we can bomb the hell out of Libya but can't pay public school teachers. Awesome.

250 Administrators have been sent notices too.

It is important to point out that it is unlikely that all the teacher will be layed off, but I'm sure a large chunk will

We are watching the demise of America's public education system, to be replaced by corporate owned charter schools.

government funded female supremacists vs efficient corporate schools, not really a hard choice.

The government funded educational system has become an all girls club that intentionally disenfranchises male students. If you look at the stats girl's are doing just fine, but boy's from every ethnicity are falling by the wayside. Yet those who say the system needs more money are constantly ignoring the gendered problems with education. Heck organizations like the AAUW justify the discrimination boy's face because older men make more then older women.

So why should my tax dollars go to support a sexist man-hating system? Why should tax monies go to boy-hating bigots? They shouldn't.

If teachers only want to teach to half the students then they should either a)accept only half their pay or b) find a new job.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
MUSLIMS IN DETROIT !!!!!

In the wake of Osama Bin Laden's death,

Muslims have gone on the rampage in Detroit killing anyone who's Caucasian.

Police fear the death toll could rise as high as 2

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

This is what the recession looks like in a country that’s decided to disinvest in public education. Reuters reports that Robert Bobb, the emergency financial manager appointed to address the Detroit’s bleeding public school system, has decided to send notices to all 5,466 unionized public school teachers. And 250 administrators will get layoff notices as well.

LINK

So we can bomb the hell out of Libya but can't pay public school teachers. Awesome.

250 Administrators have been sent notices too.

It is important to point out that it is unlikely that all the teacher will be layed off, but I'm sure a large chunk will

We are watching the demise of America's public education system, to be replaced by corporate owned charter schools.

Good, the feminist bigots deserve to be unemployed.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Please be a bit more eloquent and tactful in your arguments.

This isn't a street fight, it's a discussion board

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
reply to post by Skerrako

That “Public school system” has been the #1 cause of ignorance of the younger generations. It has needed to go for years.

While I have no problem believing that I am on ATS reading posts that speak unfavorable about the government run public schools.

I can not believe that I am also reading in those posts this glee over the concept of Biology sponsored by Monsonto, History - brought to you by Altria, Extreme Math with Mountain Dew, or McDonald's presents Gym glass.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Good! Public school is what has brainwashed the masses and caused the demise of this country. At least people now know they are responsible for thier childrens education and not the government via theft from thier neighbors. Most cannot afford charter schools so hello home school!

Still now that America is in serious decline it may be to late for many to overcome the dumbing down. However a remnant will rise from the ashes!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
They could move to private teaching to companies, they have the money.

They could start up a Teaching Charity, and work on donations.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by evilod

And as DPS sheds about 8,000 students a year, the city’s charter schools network is flourishing. Charters are publicly funded but independently run schools whose faculty are typically not unionized.

I definitely feel for those that are losing their jobs, but it sounds like the public school system is simply failing in Detroit. If there's another system that is clearly doing much better, then it seems to make sense to go with it rather than the one that is failing and unable to be funded.

Sigh. Does the term "engineered crisis" mean anything to you?

The charter system is not better. it is in fact demonstrably worse. Its costs to the taxpayer are equal (since charter schools are paid for by the government just like a public school) if not higher (corporate overhead). However the parents and community have absolutely no say in the staff or curriculum, and the government cannot regulate these schools any more than it could another private business.

That is, all the cost with none of the obligation. And since these are private, corporatized ventures, the goal is not providing a service to the community, but meeting a bottom line. Devoid of an obligation to the community, these schools are then free to jack up costs to the taxpayer while also delivering substandard education.

And in a situation like Detroit or Dayton or New Orleans, the charter cchools have a monopoly on education.

Not only are these "Schools" worse, they're actually the CAUSE of the problem - remember, engineered crisis.

See, these are part of the big privatization sweep - that is, the agenda to put public resources into private (corporate) hands. Since these people have money, they have more political power than the people in any given school district, city, state, whatever scale you want. So they pressure the governments to cut education, attack teacher's unions, allow corporate "sponsorship" of everything from cafeteria food to textbooks, basically anything to undercut the public system's ability to provide. The system starts to falter, and the politicians, now trained in the notion that the answer to a faltering system is to attack it harder, defund more, union-bust more, privatize more, until finally the situation reaches crisis levels.

Then you fire all the teachers, sell the facilities to a corporate entity, and let them run the show. Because after all, we ALL know the government should be run like a corporation... Like Enron! The teachers will get re-hired at vastly cut wages with no protections, services for the students will be substandard and usually agendized, and no culpability will be held to the new owners by the public.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Then you fire all the teachers, sell the facilities to a corporate entity, and let them run the show. Because after all, we ALL know the government should be run like a corporation... Like Enron!

This is why I am so utterly confused with so many of the posts in this thread right there. Enron.

I see the same people discussing big pharma making up metal health drugs, giving away millions in wrongful death settlements, pumping our kids full of chemicals, hiding poisons in inoculations. They talk about the major food companies making everything out of GMO corn, or giving our kids mental disorders from food additives and moobs from hormons - thus implicating big agra in also poisoning us coming and going. I see the threads about the energy companies suppressing technology, using corexit, lying about oil spills, and artificially inflating prices. I see the same people worrying about those things advocating doing away with public schools. So the same types of people I just spoke of can run them even farther from our scrutiny?

The government does suck but that the moment it is still at least more answerable to us than Monsanto, Kellog, Altria, BP, Merck, Pfizer, etc. It is supposed to be a government for the people, by the people, of the people and for the people. When I think you should make it work better for you, I see so many suggesting you just give it all away instead. I do not understand.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antiquated1

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Then you fire all the teachers, sell the facilities to a corporate entity, and let them run the show. Because after all, we ALL know the government should be run like a corporation... Like Enron!

This is why I am so utterly confused with so many of the posts in this thread right there. Enron.

I see the same people discussing big pharma making up metal health drugs, giving away millions in wrongful death settlements, pumping our kids full of chemicals, hiding poisons in inoculations. They talk about the major food companies making everything out of GMO corn, or giving our kids mental disorders from food additives and moobs from hormons - thus implicating big agra in also poisoning us coming and going. I see the threads about the energy companies suppressing technology, using corexit, lying about oil spills, and artificially inflating prices. I see the same people worrying about those things advocating doing away with public schools. So the same types of people I just spoke of can run them even farther from our scrutiny?

The government does suck but that the moment it is still at least more answerable to us than Monsanto, Kellog, Altria, BP, Merck, Pfizer, etc. It is supposed to be a government for the people, by the people, of the people and for the people. When I think you should make it work better for you, I see so many suggesting you just give it all away instead. I do not understand.

The government, to be honest, sucks in large part due to its collusion with these companies. The further it detaches from the public interest, the less responsive it is to we the people - I.e., the more it sucks. Again this plays into the engineered crisis thing I just brought up. The more the government sells out, the more the government sucks, the more the corporate shills in government tell the people to vote corporate shills in, the more the shills sell out, the more the government sucks. And so the cycle of entropy continues.

When most of the men with guns in your country's war are actually mercenaries, something is hideously wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
what the he!! do we need schools for anyways
if they all become soldiers. They are told
who the enemy is and they fight and kill them.
You don't need an education for that,
just basic training.

Exactly it's either a career in the military or a Job at Mcdonalds. A Mceducation is what the kids need today. It comes with a free toy and subsidised lunches.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

24,000 of the 51,000 new jobs created were at McDonalds

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

reply to post by korathin

Please be a bit more eloquent and tactful in your arguments.

This isn't a street fight, it's a discussion board

www.thetrumpet.com...
www.ojr.org...

Follow the rabbit hole and if you have any wits and a conscience to boot, you will see I was far too eloquent and my tactics far too benevolent/merciful. If anything most teachers belong in jail.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Understand people from all walks of life, but think people that voted republican have brought it on themselves. Did I also mention that public schools have a tendency to instill a cognitive dissidence into the thinking of young people. Almost to a delusional state……..

Ok, so the political systems of the western world are broken, owned by the bankers, yada yada, we all know the story. When it comes to changing the thing that would actually solve all our problems, there is no difference between the Republicans and Democrats.

This reality notwithstanding, ideologically there is still a huge difference between the two when it comes to education. But hey, it just a bunch of black kids in Detroit and Cleveland who will be illiterate and have no chance in life, who cares! Plus we can jail them after they drop out of high school! Those prisons we privatized need some customers!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by consigliere

Charters are publicly funded but independently run schools whose faculty are typically not unionized.

So unions are killing the public school system

Our teachers are 100% unionized. Doing quite well here. So it's not that

top topics

<< 1   >>

join