It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Sends out Layoff Notices to ALL 5,466 Public Teachers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

This is what the recession looks like in a country that’s decided to disinvest in public education. Reuters reports that Robert Bobb, the emergency financial manager appointed to address the Detroit’s bleeding public school system, has decided to send notices to all 5,466 unionized public school teachers. And 250 administrators will get layoff notices as well.

LINK

So we can bomb the hell out of Libya but can't pay public school teachers. Awesome.

250 Administrators have been sent notices too.

It is important to point out that it is unlikely that all the teacher will be layed off, but I'm sure a large chunk will

We are watching the demise of America's public education system, to be replaced by corporate owned charter schools.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
detroit is already sitting badly as is...now this?...detroit is starting to look like a 3rd world country more and more every passing year

what kind of education are these kids going to get now? I wonder how they plan on actually giving these kids an education now...it makes little sense...

edit on 17-4-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Oh man, this is awful! All those people out of a job and what going to replace it?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
We are watching the demise of America's public education system, to be replaced by corporate owned charter schools.

And as DPS sheds about 8,000 students a year, the city’s charter schools network is flourishing. Charters are publicly funded but independently run schools whose faculty are typically not unionized.

I definitely feel for those that are losing their jobs, but it sounds like the public school system is simply failing in Detroit. If there's another system that is clearly doing much better, then it seems to make sense to go with it rather than the one that is failing and unable to be funded.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Looks like they paid waaaay too much attention to Pink Floyd!

Seriously though...what are they going to do?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Charters are publicly funded but independently run schools whose faculty are typically not unionized.

So unions are killing the public school system

as this seems to be the only difference between public and charter schools.I swear things are swinging toward the Idiocracy state of existence

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

This is what the recession looks like in a country that’s decided to disinvest in public education. Reuters reports that Robert Bobb, the emergency financial manager appointed to address the Detroit’s bleeding public school system, has decided to send notices to all 5,466 unionized public school teachers. And 250 administrators will get layoff notices as well.

Free at last free at last hallelujah we are free at last!!!!!!!!!

Best news I have heard in years!!!!!!!!!(does happy dance......)

Originally posted by consigliere

Charters are publicly funded but independently run schools whose faculty are typically not unionized.

So unions are killing the public school system

As mister Bit in Tron would say it………….

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Free at last free at last hallelujah we are free at last!!!!!!!!!

Best news I have heard in years!!!!!!!!!(does happy dance......)

Can you explain why the collapse of a major U.S> school system is a good thing? Thanks

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by evilod

I definitely feel for those that are losing their jobs, but it sounds like the public school system is simply failing in Detroit. If there's another system that is clearly doing much better, then it seems to make sense to go with it rather than the one that is failing and unable to be funded.

The problem is that charter schools are run by corporations. Do we want corporations to be teaching our children history, science, math ect?

In my opinion they have far to much power already: Power over our political system, power over foreign policy, power over what we eat, and what we say. Is giving them power over our educational system wise?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2011 by consigliere because: nevermind

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
detroit is already sitting badly as is...now this?...detroit is starting to look like a 3rd world country more and more every passing year

what kind of education are these kids going to get now? I wonder how they plan on actually giving these kids an education now...it makes little sense...

edit on 17-4-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

Why is education a function of government and not the parent?

To hell with government schools, let the parents educate their children.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

That “Public school system” has been the #1 cause of ignorance of the younger generations. It has needed to go for years.

No mater how high of a place something holds, if it is doing more harm than good, and it has shows no sign of improving even with many attempts at reform…then throw it out.

The corruption is institutionalized, so throw out the institution!

If you accept the premise that something can not be dismantled and replaced. That it is too important to shut down, and then the crooks that reside in that institution have won! They have become “untouchable”.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
reply to post by Skerrako

That “Public school system” has been the #1 cause of ignorance of the younger generations. It has needed to go for years.

Decoded: if your public school was located in a poor school district with no property tax or tax levy base, the public school system has been the #1 cause of ignorance of the younger generations. If your public school was located in a middle class suburb or extremely rich district, the public school system works great. I went to a public school at every degree level and wouldn't trade it for the world, as I have these things called social skills, as well as the ability to interact and understand people from all different walks of life.

And this isn't directed at you (at least I don't know if it is), but if anyone in this thread has ever voted for a Republican, you lose the right to complain about injustices like this.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This cannot be - do you think the teachers in Detroit will blame a Democrat or Obama? No... This will be Bush's fault in some sick way - not that I like Bush but Detroit votes 97+% for one party. They get and deserve everything coming to them.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontdrinkthewater
Decoded: if your public school was located in a poor school district with no property tax or tax levy base, the public school system has been the #1 cause of ignorance of the younger generations. If your public school was located in a middle class suburb or extremely rich district, the public school system works great. I went to a public school at every degree level and wouldn't trade it for the world, as I have these things called social skills, as well as the ability to interact and understand people from all different walks of life.

And this isn't directed at you (at least I don't know if it is), but if anyone in this thread has ever voted for a Republican, you lose the right to complain about injustices like this.

Understand people from all walks of life, but think people that voted republican have brought it on themselves.

Did I also mention that public schools have a tendency to instill a cognitive dissidence into the thinking of young people. Almost to a delusional state……..

edit on 17-4-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I can't believe there's still people living in Detroit. What a sad and sick city...

Seriously, just level the whole thing, area by area, and use money the US sends to Pakistan/Israel/Egypt/bombing Libya to build thousands of apartment blocks... and hire people in the area to do it!

But they will never do this for all sorts of reasons.

Detroit is what will most cities in the US will look like in a few years if this whole madness continues.

Edit : Want to fix education in America? Change the current system of ``school receives money for each children they get`` to ``every child receives money wherever he goes``... and let private corporations open schools, that will mean that the parents can decide which school they go to, and if they don't like the school, they go to another one, and the schools that are failing students go bankrupt, and those who succeed, make a profit.

And from what I've seen in other reports, some schools in Detroit were teaching kids how to fill out government welfare forms... What kind of education is that really?

In the late 1950′s and early 1960′s Detroit had a population of almost 2 million. Now the population is less than one million. High school flunk out rates reached 76% last year in Detroit. Unemployment officially is 28.9%. The real figure is probably closer to 50% as many have stopped looking for work. Those who are no longer trying to find work are not counted in the unemployment statistic. In the schools, the literacy rate is about 50% currently. The Murder rate is rising in Detroit, and is 5 times that of the national average. In Detroit 7 of 10 murders go unsolved.

Legal and Illegal immigrants have converged on the Detroit area. Muslims number about 300,000, while the Hispanic population throughout Michigan numbers about 400,000. Few speak English in Detroit these days. You are less likely to hear English spoken in inner city Detroit than a Middle Eastern dialect or Spanish.

Detroit : nuke it to improve it.
edit on 17-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

why educate them? where would they get jobs anyway? at least without school they can become apprentices in the union local gangs of detroit

seems like the only jobs there are in hoodlum type careers..

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
what the he!! do we need schools for anyways
if they all become soldiers. They are told
who the enemy is and they fight and kill them.
You don't need an education for that,
just basic training.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

This cannot be - do you think the teachers in Detroit will blame a Democrat or Obama? No... This will be Bush's fault in some sick way - not that I like Bush but Detroit votes 97+% for one party. They get and deserve everything coming to them.

It is this type of brutal lack of compassion and partisanship that we are in this situation right now.

My guess is that they will blame the mayor and Governor, because neither Bush or Obama run the Detroit school system.

Detroit was a working class city, and working class people general vote democrat.

Common sense if you ask me, please no more blatant random trolling on the thread.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by evilod

HELLO???

Detroit isn't exactly full of rich WASPs that can afford a charter school.

Charter schools sound like a great idea until you realize that they're not a solution for those who can't afford much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join