It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US vulnerable to EMP attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars50
Also - To Westpoint223, with a SLBM you could concievably knock out critical C2 within a few minutes of launch - making retaliation very difficult.

THere are other venues to launch a retalitory strike though. We no longer have the Looking Glass plane up 24/7, but the TACAMO planes are avalible to take over C3I functions as well as other assests too. If you buy into the SHadow Government theory, you may have that as well. I believe the SLBM scenario you spoke of is called Depressed Trajectory. ITs a nasty little scenario that has a sub firing from the continental shelf at Wash. 10 minutes. May be just enough time to get the pres out, maybe, or enough time to put the forces on alert.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Also - To Westpoint223, with a SLBM you could concievably knock out critical C2 within a few minutes of launch - making retaliation very difficult.

Yes but what about our SLBM that will be hitting the attacking country within minutes also so they cant take out all of your capabilities one of our boomer subs can take out any nation so they might reduce the number of warheads you got but that is why we stockpile more than we need.

[edit on 28-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
How long does it take a ICBM to get into or near orbit? Cause after that, it wont really matter sicne seperation with teh MIRVs will occur and then nothing can stop them...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I don't know the exact times with the stages but I think ICBMs hit there targets in about 30 minutes on average. Although ICBMs are well shielded by EMP I don't think they could handle mutipuly EM waves up close.

[edit on 7/28/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
as I believe, emp sheilding cannot be woren down, it must be physically damaged to destroy it (some kind of explosive force) Just think of the shielding as a faroday cage? Im not sure if that correct mind you...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
On average the US would pic up an ICBM 10 minutes before impact so lets say we launch our ICBM's with 5 minutes to spare is that enough time for the ICBM to be far enough not to be affected by the blast?

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
THEN YOU WILL BE PROTECTED FROM ANY EMP ATTACK-ITS A PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHERE BUT IT CAN BE DONE.

DO A SEARCH FOR FARADAY CAGE

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
True if you can launch a nuke at that alltitude you could drop it on a US city except theres a chance it might be intercepted so you might have to detonate it at high altitude. Save our souls if somebody does that to us. I'd hate to imagine living with out electronics.

Hey heres an idea detonate a couple of nukes at high altitude so that the EMP knocks out missle interceptors and then the rest of your nukes won't have any resistance.

[edit on 7/27/2004 by cyberdude78]

U.S. nuclear weaponry is shielded against EMP.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would think that small scale tactical EMP attacks would be a greater threat in the short term, things like FCG's could knock out specific strategic sites, no need for ICBM delivery, just a big ole mcveigh style ryder truck. Not just major institutions eiher hit a node in a fibre optic network or a major hydro dam or nuclear station. It wouldn't be as impressive but it is something that most if not all countries are highly vulnerable to.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yo all relise that its not just Thermo Nuclear Weapons that produce an EM burst? You could always jsut actually build an EMP bomb that has no nuclear components.....

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Really? why don't you tell me how to build an EMP bomb then genius since its all easy to you. Cuz if it was that easy to build an EMP bomb terrorist would have already done so and used it by now

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's simple really, all you need to do is have a coil of wire super charged with many thousands of volts and ampers then have a cylinerical charge detonate all around it, imploding it in a left to right fashion. This causes a huge EMP burst... Of course, the device is unusable afterwards since it gets destroying in the process...

Hey, if you dont believe me, do a google for it...

Fraser

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You'd need one big friggin machine to do that unless you're using some really advanced technology.

The thing in Ocean's Eleven was fake.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join