It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please bring back corporal punishment to the United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I had my truck broken into and they stole my wallet and computer. (Side note: if you steal someone's wallet at least have the decency to leave their F*@#&$! driver's license and insurance cards). It's Sunday so I can't get a temporary debit card replacement until tomorrow, no problem.. I have my check book.. oh wait NOWHERE accepts checks.. oh but the grocery store will, and that's perfect because I buy my groceries on Sunday anyway because all my food is gone by then.. oh wait what's this? .. a passport isn't valid identification to pay by check with? ..But Ma'am my wallet was stolen and I don't have a driver's license to show you. Too bad.

Thieves should be publicly flogged and then forced to wear a sign on them stating their crime for 30 days.. A tattoo on their forehead would be better, but I suppose some people can be reformed so that's not fair. I want to see the person who stole from me loose a hand, or a finger.. or their life.. or even better have them publicly tortured and then EXECUTED!

I'm sure I won't feel this way in a week, but seriously.. if we caned people like they do in Singapore I feel like a lot of crimes would go down. If someone is over 18, a repeat offender, and there is no doubt to their guilt (they were caught in the act or caught with stolen good) then take them before town hall on Saturday and flog them before their fellow citizens.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Next time do not leave your personal items in the car.
You should know people look through cars at night to steal whatever they can.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeraVerto

I always make sure to bring in my wallet (which wasn't in view) literally the first time I forget to bring it in and my car is broken into, as for my computer it was tucked under my seat in a book bag ready for school in the morning and not in view. My doors were locked and alarm on.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I feel your pain man. I hate thieves. It is a selfish act, usually committed by people who have no respect for themselves, let alone others. I almost feel pity for them, but at the same time I want to break their fingers.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Thieves have magical power.
The police are always in fear when they see these magical hobos.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i dont believe in death for theives...i know how you feel..i was robbed a few years back and they were never caught...i do believe in publicly embarrassing them tho...people who steal are usually in a rough spot and they do it either to eat or get their fix...you cant hate them for trying to survive..put yourself in their positon and think of what you would do if you saw a wallet and you need money bad enought to steal it.and i know you wish that whoever woulds left your id to make things easier but if someone is robbing you they arent worried about how your gonna feel or whatever...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Maybe the government should introduce a ankle type gadget like they use on people who are on parole, except on the wrist of the offender to show people they have committed a crime within the past month or so. That would be so humiliating walking down the street and people knowing you have been a bad boy in the past month or so.
, It would work I think.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Most homeless people steal for drugs or alcohol, and not food. I've seen too many homeless at McDonald's because they are "so hungry", then when they get the money they dash out the door. They are well aware of the public services, shelters, and places to get free meals. In fact they are at these places when they aren't doing drugs, stealing, or driving property value down. I was only joking about killing them, or cutting off their hand..etc.. but I still think flogging would be effective. The more negative consequences an addict receives the more likely they will hit their bottom before they end up over-dosing and dead.
edit on 4/17/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Please don't tell me that you are making an attempt to blame the victim! He should be able to leave any of HIS things in HIS vehicle and not have to worry about someone taking them because they all belong to HIM.

I would hate to hear what you have to say about victims of rape....

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
How can a passport not be valid enough ID to show for checks? I would have called over a manager.
Of course, you should never leave a wallet or purse in plain sight in a car...

That said, while such punishment is effective, you can't take it back if you have the wrong culprit. I lived in the Middle East before...and what are you going to do if you chop off the wrong guy's hand? Sew it back?
edit on 18-4-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mandella1099

I'm not blaming the victim. Still, people of this age should know people would look into their vehicles to see what they can steal. Hey, do not shoot the messenger.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I was about to say, I think a passport is a very valid form of Identification. More valid then a driver's license.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How can a passport not be valid enough ID to show for checks? I would have called over a manager.
Of course, you should never leave a wallet or purse in plain sight in a car...

That said, while such punishment is effective, you can't take it back if you have the wrong culprit. I lived in the Middle East before...and what are you going to do if you chop off the wrong guy's hand? Sew it back?
edit on 18-4-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

I thought a passport should trump a driver's licenses in every way as it's a national identification and not just state, it was the manager who told me a passport wasn't good enough, and only a driver's license or state I.D. would be acceptable. Maybe it was just the policy of that particular store? It's a local organic place, not a chain store like Safeway.

For the second time, my wallet was not in plain site, it was inside the arm rest compartment, also as stated in my original post in my hypothetical punishment it would only be used on repeat offenders, and people who were 'caught in the act, or caught with the stolen goods in a way where there is no doubt to their guilt' to avoid wrongful punishment. Also stated in my second post I'm only talking about flogging people, not cutting off their hands. Come on, this thread, and my original post wasn't a mountain of text.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

reply to post by mandella1099

I'm not blaming the victim. Still, people of this age should know people would look into their vehicles to see what they can steal. Hey, do not shoot the messenger.

Most people of this age do know not to leave things in plain view, which is exactly why I did not leave anything valuable in view. Maybe if the penalties weren't so lopsided our society wouldn't rationalize these things as expected. You get usually less than a year in jail for breaking into a car, or stealing a TV, but you'd get a mandatory 3 years in prison for having '___' in your pocket.. etc..

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I know how you feel, my phone and wallet got stolen at a train station...was standing there to pay for my ticket, and he just snatched them out of my hand and ran away

We should do like the Saudi's lol, if guilty of stealing, they chop off one of your hands so you never do it again

edit on 18-4-2011 by Mentalistbee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I say cane them good.

American Michael P. Fay, whose conviction for vandalism and sentence of 6 strokes of the cane attracted worldwide publicity and sparked off a minor diplomatic crisis between Singapore and the United States. The Singaporean government reduced Fay's sentence from six to four strokes, and he was caned on 5 May 1994

top topics

join