It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic Tornado Outbreak: 3 Days, 241 Tornadoes, 14 States

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I am pretty sure these storms are something els though, I have people all around me going well, they have storms every year around this time *face palm* Are you freakin kidding me!? Sarah
edit on 18-4-2011 by Sarahraeann because: (no reason given)

Well get ready to face palm yourself because I live in North Texas and this is business as usual for spring storms in North Texas. Every spring we get high intensity supercells carrying winds, tornadoes, and large hail. It's not new or unusual in this area. In fact, being mid-April, I would say North Texas is getting less of these storms this year. So face palm away, but remember two things: What is unusual to you might not be unusual at all, and stop face palming yourself before you poke yourself in the eye! It hurts!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This news is hitting the mainstream. So far, the official count is at 153 after accounting for duplicate reports, but they'r not done yet.

Why North Carolina, far from Tornado Alley, took brunt of big outbreak

North Carolina averages 19 tornadoes a year. More than 60 hit the state over the weekend, part of a 'family' of 243 tornadoes that spun across the South, killing at least 43.

Massive three-day tornado outbreak kills dozens; storm video and imagery

(NOAA Storm Prediction Center) One of the largest three-day tornado outbreaks in history swept across the country Thursday through Saturday, resulting in 241 tornado reports in 14 states, and killing at least 45 people. Although the official tally of confirmed tornadoes is still being counted as meteorologists complete storm damage surveys, it’s already obvious that this was no ordinary early-spring severe weather event.

If the final three-day tornado count comes out to more than 163 storms, this would exceed the average number of twisters observed during an average April! Weather.com estimates the total is 153 after accounting for duplicate reports but an official final count is still to be determined.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Praying for the people in the areas affected.
I can only hope that any storms they have this week don't have the same outcome.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

I am pretty sure these storms are something els though, I have people all around me going well, they have storms every year around this time *face palm* Are you freakin kidding me!? Sarah
edit on 18-4-2011 by Sarahraeann because: (no reason given)

Well get ready to face palm yourself because I live in North Texas and this is business as usual for spring storms in North Texas. Every spring we get high intensity supercells carrying winds, tornadoes, and large hail. It's not new or unusual in this area. In fact, being mid-April, I would say North Texas is getting less of these storms this year. So face palm away, but remember two things: What is unusual to you might not be unusual at all, and stop face palming yourself before you poke yourself in the eye! It hurts!

Well, I don't live down there I live in the pacific northwest so I am not used to these sort of storms, but there are many people saying that these particular storms are making history over 200 tornadoes in the matter of a few days? I don't know to me that sounds crazy, but like I said I don't live where these storms take place so I have no idea what is normal and what is not. I did read an article on cnn though that stated:
"When the storm count is finalized, this will likely be an historic tornado outbreak," said CNN meteorologist Jacqui Jeras. "It is quite unusual to have this many supercell tornadoes of this intensity strike the area."
Either way this is a phenomenal act of mother nature! My heart also goes out to all the victims of this storm.
Sarah

P.s. Thanks for the advice it was very informative. I wont poke my eye out now!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The map doesn't show two reported (but minor) tornadoes in western Kentucky.

And, it seems the next week will be more of the same. I live in south central Kentucky, and there are forecasts for severe weather Tuesday night into Wednesday morning and Friday night/Saturday.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ffman

Is President Obama scheduled to visit the area? I haven't heard anything on the news to say if he is or isn't.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join