It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potty Trained Pigs Cut Waste Water by 80%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Wow! Consider the amount of freshwater lost to industrial farming cattle and pig. This is huge news because freshwater is finite as you know and has value as a commodity to human. I wonder if we should stop the slaughtering of hogs as a food source and change more to a vegetarian diet because they show signs of intelligence.

Taiwan's Environmental Protection Administration has announced that, following the success of some trials in 2009, it is looking to have pig breeders 'toilet train' their porkers, in a measure to reduce the volume of waste water generated by that country's six million swine.

Apparently in that earlier trial a Southern Tiawanese breeder was successful in getting some of his 10,000 pigs to become potty trained. A 2009 news report has Chang Chung-tou, a pig farmer in Yunlin county, saying, "The pig toilets on my farm help me collect about 95% of all pig waste, making cleaning much, much easier."

The Taiwanese EPA in their most recent announcement suggest that aside from
reduced the amount of waste water by up to 80% pig farms were also cleaner and less smelly, and additionally the trotter toilets helped reduce illness among the pigs and boosted their fertility by 20%.

Why might this be important environment news? Because excrement from intensive factory style farming of livestock and poultry is a huge contributor to land and water pollution.

In his book, 'Beyond Beef' Jeremy Rivkin, says food geographer Borgstrom estimates that cattle and livestock account for twice the amount of pollutants as comes from all US industrial sources. Or as noted in Harvey Diamond's book Your Heart, Your Planet, "every second 250,00 pounds (113 tonnes) of excrement are produce from livestock in the USA."

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

What....... no video

That sounds quite impressive but i need to see to believe. LoL.
I dont envy the man training these pigs.
But i do see its benefit for the future for waste and waste management.
Still that would be a site to see, 10000 pigs all in a row, and going to the toilet first thing in the morning

And we will never stop eating meat. If we didnt slaughter meat, there would be no room to grow your vege's.
edit on 17-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
No we won't stop killing them. We can't even stop killing each other, much less live stock.

Cool post though.
edit on 17-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

top topics

join