It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugs lose effectiveness in space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
According to this article, drugs do not work as well in outer space.

Scientists at the Johnson Space Centre have shown that the effectiveness of drugs declines more rapidly in space. Continuous doses of radiation onboard spacecraft may be to blame, according to the study published in the AAPS Journal. The authors said longer missions have increased the need for drugs in space. On Earth, medication is typically designed to be stored for a couple years from the manufacture date. They normally need to be kept in precise conditions, such as away from direct sunlight or in a cool, dry space. The research team investigated whether the unique environment of space - including radiation, excessive vibrations, microgravity, a carbon dioxide rich environment and variations in humidity and temperature - affected drugs' effectiveness

Well that is a bummer, I also wonder if it would affect the human body's ability to process vitamins and nutrients in the food they eat while in space.

Four boxes of drugs, containing 35 different medications, were flown to the International Space Station. Four identical boxes were kept in controlled conditions at the Johnson Space Centre. The boxes came back to Earth after varying lengths of time in space. One was there for just 13 days, whereas another spent 28 months on the space station. The study concluded: "A number of formulations tested had a lower potency after storage in space with consistently higher numbers of formulations failing United States Pharmacopeia potency requirement after each storage period interval in space than on Earth. "This reduction in potency of flight samples occurred sooner than the labelled expiration date for many formulations suggesting that storage conditions unique to the spacecraft environment may influence stability of pharmaceuticals in space". Dr Colin Cable, science information adviser at the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, said: "On Earth, medicines are tested to assess the effects of, for example, temperature, moisture, oxygen and light, and are packaged and stored to ensure they remain stable and effective over their shelf life. "Repackaging of medicines into containers that do not give the medicines the protection required to moisture, oxygen and light can have a detrimental effect on their stability." He added that radiation was known to affect medicines, depending on the dose used. "One potential benefit of keeping medicines in a Space Station is that the medicines will be exposed to a carbon dioxide-rich environment, this may help minimise the degradation of those medicines prone to oxidation, such as adrenaline, vitamin C and vitamin A."

bbc.co.uk

I also wonder if astronauts would be required to take higher doses of vitamins, or eat food that is highly fortified.

Come to think of it, it all makes sense since space is full of radiation and we all know that radiation does bad stuff to most biological organisms (at least the ones we know about).

I am rather careful with what I eat and try to get as many nutrients as possible. I hope the space station has a mini gym with at least an elliptical exercise machine so the astronauts can exercise which would assist the body in absorbing more of the nutrients that they need.

It would really suck being up there and having a horrible headache and the Tylenol they give you doesn't even work. I personally don't ingest any of that stuff, but some people need it.

If we ever plan on colonizing other planets or space stations we certainly need to find a way to produce food and drugs that will not be affected by these conditions, or at least find safe ways to protect it from these conditions.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Hey, cool find

You make a good point about how if we want to colonize other planets we would need to find a way to maintain the potency of our food and drugs.

I also don't take anything pharmaceutical, but some people do need to take that stuff, and if they are taking it, it might as well work for them. It would be pointless taking drugs that don't even work.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I simple case lined with lead would protect the items from radiation, i'm sure there are more severe problems with space travel, but to colonise another planet we would almost certainly have other problems like allergies ect to deal with, very interesting S&F

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Great post brother especially the experiment showing that it was the medicines degrading and not a human reaction to space as I would have guestimated. I wonder if the chemistry of the human body is affected in the same way? S+F!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by orinoco4

You make an interesting point about allergies. I personally suffer from mild seasonal allergies to stuff like pollen and dust. I would have never even thought of that until you just mentioned it. I wonder what allergens there would be in space...interesting indeed.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by roasted aliv3

Great post brother especially the experiment showing that it was the medicines degrading and not a human reaction to space as I would have guestimated. I wonder if the chemistry of the human body is affected in the same way? S+F!!!

Thanks brother

I also wonder how the chemistry of the human body would be affected. I am sure there would be some differences, but I am no expert so I can only assume.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is really interesting and thanks for posting!

I remember reading about all the detramental and abrasive effects the astrnauts encounter on their bodies while in space and then the after effects when they come back down.
Alot of a bone degeneration and things of that nature.

Which I am sure they are put on some strict vitamin regiments and supplements along with a tons of other medications before they go up.

So I wonder how the handle the difference with medications and how they figure out how much is enough and not too much or life threatening.

I wonder what the calculations would look like? and what amounts in space are equal to amounts here.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

This is really interesting and thanks for posting!

You are very welcome

I also wonder what the calculations would be for earthly doses versus doses needed in outer space. I am sure they got high paid scientists to figure all that stuff out.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Only true drug is Marihuana. Rememer tha breath is key.
When you inhale a hit of marihuana imagine the breath becoming alive by whatever is the desire that you are desiring from mother nature.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTruthCqer

Sorry bro, terms and conditions forbid me to comment on how I really feel. But I am with you. I wonder if being in space would change the potency of those types of medications as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It would because the intensity in the breath wouldn't be strong even through strong will because the forces of gravity are working away from your purpose. But If you happen to feel a little bit "high" after taking a hit in space of some marihuana then your will and concentration was strong and you were able to take a very hard inhale therefore your breath was working against the gravity for some time at least. Since breath is key no matter where you smoke smoke with proper intentions and your will will be powered by good emotions which will in turn use the drug as a healer. Example I smoke before working out to have a good mind to muscle control. Even though there are downsides I dont think about them i work through them.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTruthCqer

Hey, I am not judging you. It is just that drug references are not allowed here on ATS and I would not want my thread to be deleted due to off topic drug references.

Peace be with you brother.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

a quick Google search came up with this link that has info on the physiological effects,

In micro gravity environment, the quantity and the distributio of body fluid alters since it is free of the gravitational effect. This is the known as "fluid shift." Symptoms caused by fluid shift are stuffy nose, headache, and puffy face

The loss of calcium in urine may produce urinary stone, which might cause severe pain
Ouch.link

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

a quick Google search came up with this link that has info on the physiological effects,

In micro gravity environment, the quantity and the distributio of body fluid alters since it is free of the gravitational effect. This is the known as "fluid shift." Symptoms caused by fluid shift are stuffy nose, headache, and puffy face

The loss of calcium in urine may produce urinary stone, which might cause severe pain
Ouch.
link

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by roasted aliv3

Hey, thanks for sharing. That is certainly news to me.

Doesn't sound very pleasant either.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
So molecular decay may be linked in some way to radioactive decay via the weak nuclear force (radioactive elements seem to decay faster when exposed to increased stellar radiation)?

This implies a possible connection between the weak nuclear force and the electromagnetic force.

Almost like a unification of fundamental forces.......

This is very interesting news! Kinda re-enforces some theories.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Oh crap that means i cant ask the question when they come down, take me to your dealer

Wal

new topics

top topics

join