It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are 'these' Rap/Hip Hop artists trying to 'Enlighten' us?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
K.Flay is also very good at using her music to spread awareness about issues. Her song "MONEYmakerZ" is about the banks who stole from america but aren't being prosecuted.

Some of the lyrics to this song are fairly clear: Every other suckers laid off because of m***********ng Bernie Madoff
Buy and sell, might as well
Economists dont know s*** far as I can tell...

Where my moneymakers at?
Laying low cause they got jack
Goldman Sachs and AIG get bailed how free how lame is that?....

If I could turn back time, hit the dial 1929
They say history repeats
But the ghosts of the past must be like sheesh
How foolish can you get?
Deregulating markets, giving bonuses ignoring all effects..:

I have learned about many current events from artists like her. Other groups who try to get people more aware of the worlds problems would be Rage Against the Machine, Serj Tankien, and even Otep.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
I'm sorry, but the only message hip hop is giving out is how to stereotype a race, support the gangsta lifestyle of illegal drugs, prostitution and gunplay as well as trying to look cool while doing it. And people fall for it.

You obviously haven't listened to much hiphop... Or you're simply shallow minded. Do you dumb heavy metal down to Satan worship and "incomprehensible screaming"?

Yes, there's some lames out there (Jay-Z, "Wheezy", Rick Ross just to drop a few names...), but you can't judge rap music as a whole by what you see on MTV. True rap ARTISTS are more like street poets.
Also, not every rapper is black, or repping the gang-banger lifestyle. Not every white rapper is trying to be Eminem. And as far as the "gangsta" # goes... It's pretty easy to tell who's a "studio G" and who's speaking about REAL ISSUES THAT EFFECT LIFE IN TODAY'S WORLD.

Edit: More good vids no one has linked to yet!

"Exit the stargate,
Initial perception quickens my heart rate,
this dark place, planet earth orbits one star
Come from afar, far away state of mind
Open up your third eye
Black helicopters in the sky"

edit on 18-4-2011 by LongSeptember because: By the way, heres some good videos that no one's linked to yet!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't think Hip Hop music is doing as much damage as Justin Beiber, I swear that boy is the anti-christ

One question OP i don't understand why you quoted Rihanna? Thats sone new school pop/Rnb type of garbage it has nothing to do with hip hop. You should listen to Lowkey (British Rapper) equally entertaining and conscience.

He's made too many good songs to post, Listen to Obama nation and Terrorist as well.

Karizmatik - say this now, Can't get any info on this guy
too many other rappers using the same name.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hey OP,your thread is very good and unique and i like it,just showing some support to you.
there is much info on talented underground rap artists,thanks man.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pastafarian
in before 20 Immortal Technique videos are posted.

but seriously OP, those are some wack artists you mentioned for the most part.

How come no one on ATS ever mentions Paris? He was one bad dude with a serious, angry message. Might offend uptight white people though.

Oh and Public Enemy too.

Yeah! these new kids have no clue what real hip hop is. Every time I listen to Public Enemy, I want to rise up and chimp out.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I've realised I'm a hypocrite when it comes to Hip-Hop. It is my favourite music genre, but I can't think of anyone who hates and crtisizes rappers more than me. If you want to hear enlighting hip-hop put your ear to the ground and walk away from the mainstream.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Really? Did you just try and make a connection to hip hop and enlightenment?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that there are VERY FEW actual hip hop artists who use music as a message, whether that be conspiracy in nature or political agenda, but they are all opinions of the artist.

That being said, the overwhelming majority of hip hop artists are just out for the money, the 15 minutes of fame and the bling. If they could put 50" rims on their cars and lift them 8' in the air all while blasting music and wearing diamonds in their teeth, they would, and some of them have.

I'm sorry, but the only message hip hop is giving out is how to stereotype a race, support the gangsta lifestyle of illegal drugs, prostitution and gunplay as well as trying to look cool while doing it. And people fall for it.

Hip hop started as a way for urban males to spread a message, now it's just degraded to b**ches and h*es, my money and my car. What is there to enlighten? The people you post are not mainline artists, they are drops in the bucket of the hundreds of hip hop artists that are actually hurting society and furthering stereotypes and conveying the WRONG message.

Not to mention they blatantly promote the brutalization of the english language.

No, they are not enlightened. A few might want to be, but all in all....NO.

[Edit to add: DISLCAIMER--This post was made by me in response to a general thread title and opening where the OP was referring to ALL hip hop artists and not just these. The thread title was changed after I posted this response as well as the member who posted below me. The title was changed so that a more specific question could be asked than the general one I responded to.]

King
edit on 17-4-2011 by Kingalbrect79 because: (no reason given)

YOU ARE REALLY DUMB. I know hundreds of musicians, most are famous now and they spread messages through their music ALL the time.

God damn you are really self centered on your opinion. Maybe you should read lyrics to songs more and figure out what they are trying to get across. Lupe Fiasco is DEFINITELY one of those messengers. Believe it or not, Lil Wayne is too. You sir need to check up on your facts before posting a fat wall of text stating that your opinion is right and everyone elses on the other side is wrong. Be OPEN MINDED.....and read those lyrics.

My music spreads messages too so hop off of your high horse and stop being so high & mighty and do some research.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
sigh...This generation has no idea what Hip Hop is. The mainstream has misled everyone into thinking these "rappers" are "hip hop" when in fact its pop music or rather "Hip Pop"

Hip Hop is a "culture" Hip Hop consists of MCing, DJing, Graffiti, breakdancing and beat boxing.

Real Hip Hop music consists of a DJ and an MC. The DJ will loop or sample breaks from a song to create a beat and the MC would rap over it. Thus creating Hip Hop music.

Hip Hop music gained mainstream popularity after Yo! MTV Raps aired and gave real Hip Hop artist a shot at getting known, after that it has been watered down, commercialized and milked to death. Now real Hip Hop is back to where it was...underground, but we don't ever hear from any of these artist in the mainstream which in my opinion is a good thing, but can also be bad since people still think rappers like Jay-z or lil wayne are hip hop. Jay-Z was a hip hop artist but no longer is, due to the fact that he sold out and went the route of mainstream HIP POP.

sorry, I take it personal when people don't understand what hip hop is and think that all rap music is hip hop, which IT IS NOT.

so please understand the difference, coming from someone who grew up in the 80's, was a breakdancer, DJ, graffiti artist and LIVED hip hop and still lives hip hop.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Skate

Let us know their names? I'm yet to find a mainstream rapper that hasn't sold out. Don't talk about the UK cause even the big names there are gone, Dizzee Rascal, Kano, Chipmunk e.t.c all garbage.

And the rest are not even well known such as Wiley. I do like Lowkey and Logic and if you're not from the UK my apologies.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I highly doubt they are trying to enlighten you and I. perhaps they are being enlightened.. Jayz already been sitting in the presidents seat in the war room, which to me should have been disallowed... so you think hes on your side? please...

only rapper who tried to enlighten.. was..;

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

One question OP i don't understand why you quoted Rihanna?

Hi Serizawa, let me help you out...

I said in the opening post...

The Jay-z's, Rhianna's, Britney's, Lady Gaga's and Madonna's etc ..of the music industry want you to focus your thoughts on that of the material and flesh. Money, 'bitches', bling, good looks, sex and other tasteless foods for the soul, all the while keeping your eyes off 'truths', in most of the lyrics and videos, there are sinister undertones, and huge amounts of symbolism. I can also see the sexualization of our kids at a young age...

I wanted to show an example of this and the 'sexualization of our kids at a young age', because it is quite a bold statement to make and probably would not hold up in the proof demanding world that is ATS...So, wanted to provide proof...

I used the opening lyrics of Rihanna's - Rude Boy as I felt it fitted the bill...perfectly...she's also quite clearly 'the princess of the Illuminati....SLUT'...

www.youtube.com...

I even stated...

For example,

And the lyrics...

Come on rude boy, boy

Can you get it up

Come here rude boy, boy

Is you big enough

So, to answer your question, I used it as an example...to show the sexualized junk that our kids have to endure...

I hope you now understand why I quoted Rihanna...

Thats sone new school pop/Rnb type of garbage it has nothing to do with hip hop.

You may be correct...but it does have a lot to do with the premise of this thread...

If you can read between the lines or look with your minds eye, you will see much deeper truths being revealed. This thread is not about Hip Hop and has more to do with spreading awareness and raising important issues that could potentially be discussed... It just so happens that 'these' artists come from the Hip hop/Rap genre...

I have a feeling that even though you have participated in this thread, you have not read all of the OP...

You should listen to Lowkey (British Rapper) equally entertaining and conscience.

Thanks, I will take a look, (I'm British) also, but generally I am not a fan of Hip hop/Rap and its only recently that I have been listening to Lupe's album, I can relate and appreciate with a lot of the messages contained within my OP and within the other videos posted by yourself and other members....Always willing to try new things...

Seems like everyone would rather talk about their 'favorite artist' or how 'this isn't real Hip hop/Rap'....blah, blah, blah

I wish I never used 'Hip hop/Rap' in the title of the thread or OP, as this seems to be where every ones attention is at......rather than the actual messages/lyrics and the rest of the OP...

Ah well, off to work for a while now...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Hip Hop was initially used to tell the struggles of the African American people. Hear any "old school rap" before the 2000s and you can see the difference.

Now it is being used to sell sex, because in todays world, only sex sells...
edit on 18-4-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Originally posted by Myendica
I highly doubt they are trying to enlighten you and I.

You have not read the OP or watched the videos, how can you make such a statement?

perhaps they are being enlightened.. Jayz already been sitting in the presidents seat in the war room, which to me should have been disallowed... so you think hes on your side? please...

READ the OP...

Do I think Jay-Z is on our 'side'.............? READ THE OP....You will find your answers there....!?!

I'm so sick of having to read peoples comments when they haven't even bothered to read the OP.

Why are so many having such a hard time reading and processing the information presented...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

The fate of a Gun is determined by the wielder's motives, right?

As is with Hip Hop

Its purpose is decided by the beholder,
Its potency is the result of the vision it bears,

All forms will clutch it,
Characteristics of sorts in various volumes
Mighty, Fruitless, Sacred, Hatred, Cosmical,
Spirits, Machines, Shamans, Demons, Gods,

As Humans progress in Evolution, It too will progress
When Humans devolve, It will devolve with them

Permanently conform to a static image It cannot,
For it is a tool that shifts with the situation of the times and the people

Although the waters are muddy,
The Foundations of Hip Hop remain in motion to this day
and they are most certainly in correlation with movements that promote
Transcendence in Mind, Body, & Soul :

Universal Zulu Nation stands for:
Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding, Freedom, Justice, Equality,
Peace, Unity, Love, Work, & Having Fun

Overcoming the Negative to the Positive

Science, Mathematics, Faith,

Oneness of the Supreme Force

Breaking (Physical Rhythmic Expression)
DJing (Vibe Carrier)
MCing (Verbal Poetic Expression) (Master of Ceremonies)
Graffiti (Visual Art Expression)
Beatboxing (Vocal Expression) (Discarded Element)
Knowledge (Which holds the Elements together)

And of course Cyphering which channels directly from the Source which allows your Soul to express in real time, so for those who speak ill of Hip Hop, try to connect in a circle of Beings and unleash pure emotion from the Heart/Mind freely and see how the real You is, no strings attached...

To make a conclusive, biased judgment of Hip Hop without acknowledging these facts is not the best approach to the Truth, in my opinion...

edit on 18-4-2011 by Comet2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Sorry man too many rotten fruits.I had to throw the whole basket out.When I dumped it into the trash I thought I had seen a few ripe ones but it was already in the trash and the rotten ones were spreading their disease.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I get enlightened when I sit w my nephew on my knee and play my guitar.Self taught too.I have the calluses and lack of money to prove it.I couldn't even picture someone rapping to a child,I would have to say get the hell out of that kids face!! Just picture it.Music does not need lyrics to be enlightening and rap is not using African rhythm at all.If you want to hear an African rhythm check out TALENTED Al Dimeolas Southbound Traveller.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

reply to post by roughycannon

I didn't put it quite that sarcastically, but yes. It's all about the money and the fame and rubbing it in the faces of anyone who didn't make it.

Here you go, classic examples of how to truly enlighten the hip hop audience:

top 25 worst rap lyrics

Rap Ruins Society

I could keep going, but you get the idea.

King

(after checking out the link) Wow... enough said.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Jay Z, Rihanna...those types of people have sold their souls to the devil for fame and fortune. thats why they promote the Illuminati...and no they are not trying to enlighten us. they are using reverse psychological hypnosis to brain wash our minds...as well as tv, movies..mainstream media. thats why when you watching tv or listening to something your so sucked in you didnt even realize your friend called your name 4 or 5 times

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Also check out Mr.J.Medieros........Good stuff and no vulgar.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Theres quite alot of bashing in this thread, i dont understand why. The OP has relevant points.
He/she isnt reffering to ALL rap artists, just the ones who arent talking about sex drugs or money.
There is actually quite a few of really good rap artists who i concider lyrical geniuses and songs have real meaning.
Lowkey, Immortal technique and Tupac to name a few.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join