It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edible Wild Plants...in your yard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hey guys, I've been at it again, this time I'm collecting information and putting together videos on edible wild plants as survival foods, and for medicinal uses. I'm just starting this section, so I have only done one video for it so far, but I'll try to keep them coming pretty regularly.

Survival Foods: Wild Plants Episode 1

Let me know what you guys think, and suggestions for new episodes are appreciated!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There is another thread started by AskTheAnimals about this that has some awesome info for you.

Wild Edible Plants - A Guide to Gathering and Usage

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Great post

We need more videos and people thinking in a similar manner.
Its all good ..... until the governments starts taxing every eddible plant.... Dandelions Tax ! haha
Just back from Asda, was getting my potting compost to get some veg of my own growing.
Thanks again OP and all the best with your new video series

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
There's a guy I've been watching on YouTube for a long while now called "Eat The Weeds". He's got a ton of great information as well.

Eat The Weeds YouTube Home

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Awesome post OP star and flag! Last year me and my family gathered dandy lions and deep fried the flowers, eat the leaves in salads and dehydrated the roots and made coffee with them. Here are some more links but EAT THE WEEDS is by far the best series of these type videos.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.bing.com... FORM=LKVR
www.bing.com... GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR
www.bing.com... ica&FROM=LKVR5>1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR

edit on 17-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: Added one more link

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Thanks a ton for the feedback, looks like eat the weeds is the guy to know in this topic, I'll be subbing to him tonight! Also, my whole channel is pretty much devoted to prepping, gear, and survival stuff in general, so feel free to follow all my projects on youtube, I only post a few here from time to time, but the more people put the word out on these kinds of topics, the better!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Nice video, I love the intro music.

Caught some nice bird songs on there too.

Dandelion leaves aren't bitter if you can get them young enough. Once the flower sprouts then yeah it's pretty bitter. If you get them young enough they're delicious, better than spinach. They call it "poor man's salad" in these parts.

I've always wondered if dandelion roots contain caffeine. I kind of doubt it though, or else one of these edible wild plant books would have mentioned it. Maybe no one has ever tested.

This time of year we have lots of these growing around:

They're considered invasive weeds in some areas, called "dead nettle." The old people in my area erroneously call this a kind of poison oak, and I'm not sure where that comes from, but I've confirmed that this is indeed "dead nettle" and that it's totally edible and very nutritious. It doesn't taste that great but you can cook it and season it to your liking. I like vinegar on greens anyway.

Catnip is also out, not quite flowering yet here. It looks like many other members of the mint family, all of them edible. It tastes very strong though, probably an acquired taste... Makes a relaxing tea.

Morels are out too:

But good luck finding those... I haven't seen any yet anyway. The weather this year has been pretty abusive towards any would-be morel fields I think. They apparently favor 80 F days and 40 F nights, and no hotter or colder respectively... and a certain amount of water. But the days here have been hotter than 80 F and then colder than 40 F at night, in a consistently annoying fashion... Those mushrooms are damned good to eat though, if you can find them. They don't look like any others at this time of year, and they only come out during a small period of time in the spring. Ie about right now.
edit on 17-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I've always wondered if dandelion roots contain caffeine. I kind of doubt it though, or else one of these edible wild plant books would have mentioned it. Maybe no one has ever tested.

I don't think they do if so it's a real low amount but they taste good and if you mix them with coffee you still get a good boost lol

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Well I suppose it's always possible to get that boost from compounds besides caffeine.

Even B-vitamins apparently provide a good energy boost, or so that's what the "5 hour energy" people tell me.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Nice idea for a video or series.

It would be nice to kinda state the region because plants vary depending on where your at in the country or world.

In my neck of the woods. saying we have a trillion tons of Prickly pear cactus would probably not be an exaggeration. The cactus is edible and the fruit is great when it blooms.

I have pinion pine tree;s on my property and the nuts are great (and free)

We also have a ton of acorns from the Oak tree's

Down by the creek there is the ever present Cattail..... Roots are pretty good and the brown fluff at the top makes great tender for fire starting.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Newest video, two more plants:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Are Mustard Greens wild?

A few years ago we started to see mustard greens coming up in the yard. We never planted them and didn't know where they come from. These things look like weeds but my mom an 82 year old country girl knew what they were. We started eating them and wow, best mustard greens I ever had. Now each year in spring a few plants come up in the same area. We look forward to it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
just be sure to wash your wild food
as it may have chemtrail poison on them.

new topics

top topics

join