It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Awakening: Gore's Concession Speech vs. Bush's Acceptance Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I will never forget the anxiety of those days between the Nov. 2000 election and Bush's selection to the presidency by the US Supreme Court. I voted for Bush and sleeplessly waited for the results I prayed I'd hear.

For eight long years I waited impatiently for the day to come when the US would show Clinton/Gore the door. I thought Clinton was the worst president we had since at least Carter. By far, the biggest perv to ever occupy the Oval Office. The thought of four more years of Gore as president was an anathema to me.

And so came the day. It was final, sayeth the Supremes from on high. Bush was chosen, Gore was sent home.

I caught my first real glimmer of the character of each men, whether I knew it or not, as I listened to each man speak of his outcome. It was a profound whispering and omen to come.

Even though I detested the Clinton/Gore reign, I never felt the personal animosity toward Gore that I had felt for Clinton. Gore never once gave me any reason to question his integrity as a family man, first of all. Everything else flows from that. And he served this country, too, during Vietnam. Unlike many of his counterparts, he joined up (whatever the reason) and did his time - not as an officer - but as an enlisted. I could respect that.

I remember Bush giving his acceptance speech and feeling thankful that he had prevailed. I cannot tell you what he said and was struck by how NOT memorable it was. One would think after such an historic electoral battle, his words would've seered into my mind. They did not. They were forgotten as soon as the channel was switched.

Then there was Gore's concession speech. I was struck very deeply by his eloquence, his graciousness in defeat and by his willingness to publicly cast aside the bitterness so many of his followers were drowning in. I think for the very first time I truly saw into the very heart of his character and I was profoundly moved by the man I saw that day. And I never forgot that speech.

Although I did not change my opinion on the election's outcome by it, I never forgot. Gore won my respect and admiration that day and I have come to the conclusion that I was terribly wrong for choosing Bush over him. Gore has since given some of the most powerful speeches, speaking truth to power in a way, I think, he would never have been able or willing to had he not lost the way he did.

I missed his speech last night at the Democratic Convention and I was sorry to have. I just now read it, though. His call is for all Americans, both Democrat and Republican, to come together to face down and solve these issues that have divided us and torn at our courage these last few years since his defeat. and I love his hopefulness and humor. It's something that our country is in desperate need of these days.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Here are the links to the speeches that you mentioned.

Al Gore 2000

www.cnn.com...

George Bush 2000

www.cnn.com...

Al Gore 2004

www.startribune.com...

I did not vote for Bush, but had some hope after his speech that he would look for ways to heal the divisions. I found it very interesting to re-read Bush's acceptance and to see how it was just words. He spoke at length about concensus and healing the divided nation. Here is a quote:

"I will be guided by President Jefferson's sense of purpose, to stand for principle, to be reasonable in manner, and above all, to do great good for the cause of freedom and harmony. "

I don't see that any of his actions have upheld what he set out to do with his speech. I see no harmony. I only see deeper divisions, and scary omens. Why does a country that is built on freedom of speech have free speech zones? I won't ask any more questions, because that was not the intent of your original post.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I can tell you what was in Bush's "acceptance" speech, for it burned in my mind like Gore's did yours.

Smugness. That's what was in it.

Now what wasn't in his speech was ANY even remote effort to acknowlegdge the unusual and historic circumstances of his (s)election or the heated and emotional divison it created in America. No reaching out to unite. No bi-partisan acknowledgement or appointments. No "whew, that was a close one...I'll try to honor you all."

It was "The American people have spoken..." and so much unveiled talk of mandates and the will of the people I thought my head was going to explode. And he's stayed in his supportive bubble of denial ever since IMO. (or a bottle)

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Maybe the reason I forgot Bush's words was because he didn't really mean them; written by someone else's hand; delivered without an ounce of passion.

It's funny, Clinton asked, in his speech last night, if we got the president we thought we voted for. My answer to that is a resounding NO. Had I known the Neo Cons would swarm in and hijack his administration, I certainly wouldn't have voted for Bush.

It's time to change course.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DownValley
He spoke at length about concensus and healing the divided nation.

I was watching alot of Fox News back then so I probably just had the celebratory "The people have spoken..." lines burned in my brain via E.D. Shill.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I just remember being left cold by Bush's remarks. Very deflated. You said it well, above, Rant.

new topics

top topics

join