It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sugar Toxic? The Bitter Truth.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
reply to post by SyphonX

I wasn't refering just to you.Don't see why you thought so unless you know something about me that I don't know.By the way my generation growing up sweetened everything with"multiple spoons of sugar" a pitcher of kool-aid required a great deal of sugar. We didn't get fat.

Yes, we did. Epidemiology has a bone to pick with statements like that.

I would just like for people to learn more about good and bad sugars. There is more to sugar chemistry than is ever covered in these threads.

Sucrose, similar to HFCS in that it contains fructose and glucose, is bad. Is it possible that HFCS is more deleterious than sucrose? Sure. But the studies are inconclusive so far. The real difference between the two sweeteners is: Sucrose is a sacchiride that consists of fructose and glucose chemically bonded(50/50). HFCS is a mix of unbonded fructose and glucose (55 Fructose/45 Glucose). Metabolically, the two sweetners are almost identicle.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm a diabetic so i know the evils of sugar.. i try to cut out all sugar from my diet i eat lots of leafy greens and vegetables,some meat and sugar free fruit or fresh..but i have to admit my love for chocolate sometimes over takes me and i eat a few pieces of dark chocolate (shame on me) lol..I haven't had a pop in years i forgot what they taste like i use to drink pepsi by the truck load now i don't even keep in in the house to temp me

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Table sugar is sucrose

When you talk about Fructose you are talking about the sugar in high fructose corn syrup

The problem with fructose is that its not as sweet as sucrose so they use more in products.

Fructose is also more bioavailable so the body takes in in faster,

The blood sugar spike from fructose is average 15 to 30 minutes faster then sucrose and the spike is higher.

If the body can not use this spike in blood sugar it will store it as fat till needed. if you do not burn it your body will keep collecting it till you are obese.
And the body does not burn fat till its run out of sugars and carbs to burn.

This is why people with diabetes or metabolic syndrome should stay away from HFCS and any other processed sugars and get there energy from slow carbs and fats.

The only time you should use fructose is if you are a athlete getting ready to do a hard workout and then you take a small amount about 30 minutes before your workout so you will burn it as energy.

I am a diabetic and only take in less then 100 grams of carbs a day and not sugars but all slow carbs.so that i don't get a sugar spike.
My A1C runs about 5.2 and i don't take insulin.only Metformin to unblock the insulin receptor in my body so that my natural insulin will work.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Pick your bone all you want.Shame you have no respect for people who study and specialize in their fields.Must be great to know it all.Wish I did.But I don't. I only studied bio chemistry for a couple of semesters then I ran out of money.
Here's a link to princeton research oh wait you don't respect people with degrees. Well here it is anyway.Oh yeah and by the way sucrose is a simple sugar unto itself,It breaks down in the body to fructose and glucose. Live and learn.

www.princeton.edu...
edit on 4/17/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I swear, sometimes I feel like the collective reading comprehension level is sub 5th grade. Go read my posts, again, and try to find the part in which I stated, directly or indirectly, that I don't respect those in the health science and nutrition field. When you realize how horribly you twisted my words, then I'll continue this conversation.

Oh, and if you'll go back and read one of my other posts, you'll notice that I clearly and accurately stated the chemical composition of sucrose.

Jesus...try reading before posting.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Yay for masters degrees. I, personally, have spoken with multiple dietitians, nutritionists, trainers, doctors and a few people with advanced degrees in related fields (biochemistry, etc.) and, although my experiences don't mean anything to you, I can honestly say that the vast majority do what they do to get those letters after their name or to get that certificate and thats it. There is no continued education regarding nutrition. They don't scour medical journals on a daily basis. They don't corroborate with other experts to learn more. They don't attend seminars, symposioms and conventions showcasing the latest in the research field. Nothing.

Putting the fact that most of the information being taught to dietitians, trainers, doctors and nutritionists is outdated and deeply flawed, the above alone is enough for me to remain skeptical when a "certification" or a "masters degree" starts talking to me about nutrition. I need more qualification than..."Well...I took the required tests and passed so I know what I'm talking about."

I see you don't read your own posts.I won't be bothering with you anymore.Oh yeah I did read that post and no you didn't. Would you please know what you are talking about before you attack some one.The attack was unnecessary and your posts demonstrate ignorance.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Sucrose is a sacchiride that consists of fructose and glucose
chemically bonded(50/50). HFCS is a mix of unbonded fructose and glucose (55 Fructose/45 Glucose).

Not sure how that isnt clear and accurate.

As far as respecting those of whom have a attained a degree or certification: For the most part, its not their fault for knowing so little. Doctors typically don't receive much schooling on nutrition and nutrient biology. And they don't have the time to devour journals on a daily basis to keep up with the latest research. Dietitians know tons about food but little about biochemistry and how foods/nutrients interact with our physiology. Plus, they focus mainly on clinical nutrition. Personal trainers, depending on the certification, get very little nutrition training, as its generally illegal for a personal trainer to prescribe diets to clients.

Researchers, and those with degrees in biochemistry, physiology, neurobiology, etc., have the most exposure to current research and are the most knowledgeable on the subject of nutrition science; however, much of what they are taught in school is replaced by the data they produce or analyze.

That's not disrespect; it's fact. And keep in mind, although the above applies to most, there are indeed exceptions to the rule. Like myself.

Enjoy.
edit on 17-4-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join