It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Causes Shutdown Of Nuclear Power Plant in Virginia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Tornado Causes Shutdown Of Nuclear Power Plant

A tornado caused the temporary shutdown yesterday of a nuclear power facility in Surry County, Virginia, in the southeastern part of the state.

A statement from Dominion Virginia Power said both reactors shut down when an apparent twister touched the ground in the station's switchyard.

The tornadoes of doom!
Nuclear tornadoes! It's just a matter of time! Kidding.

Thanks to Flying Spaghetti Monster, our almighty God, the tornadoes didn't hit the nuclear power plant directly! Praise the mighty meat balls!

edit on 17-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Talk about close call. I think the universe is trying to tell us something here. ;p

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Lmao thank you for making me die on my drink

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
this really is proof that something horrible could happen anytime, anywhere. in all seriousness, imagine an F5 hitting a nuclear power plant? with this story, it's certainly not out of the question.

i have family in that area, around 60 miles away, they were luckily untouched by all of these tornado's, but this is certainly eye opening.

anyone whole lives anywhere near a nuclear facility should be prepared, at least to some degree. educate thy self! better be over prepared early, as we found out with the recent shortage of potassium iodide pills due to the japan quake.

(NOTE: no i'm not promoting hysteria, fear mongering, or the popping of these pills w/o instruction and good reason in case of an actual event)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Oops, haarp you missed, i guess you will have to try again elites. No meltdown. So let that be a warning to you virginia that tornadoes may hit the plant next time around. More nuke dissasters, more rads in the air to give us all cancer. Is that how you are going to play it home boy.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Just checking in about this, any new info?

As far as I am concerned this needs to be seriously addressed because many of the facilities have old standards and are ripe for a disaster of monumental proportions.

Many of the older models did not take into account the New Madras for example exceeding that of the last great quake in that area. We now have data and spec's which show anything in the future will far surpass anything seen in the 1812 event.

We also must consider sunspot activity, ozone depletion, volcanoes, and even man-made disasters which are bound to happen.

So we know the facility was shut down, but what would the worst case scenario have been if it had been through a major tornado and taken a direct hit?

Not just pushing doom and gloom but the inevitable.

new topics

join