It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finnish election happening today might put the euro in big trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yay for Finland!

Little man's fears fuel the rise of big man of Finnish politics

On Sunday he hopes to end decades of a political arrangement whereby Finland’s three large parties – all pro-EU and pro-euro – have shared the reins in rotating coalitions. Nearly a fifth of voters seem to agree with the need for change, with support for the True Finns spiking since Mr Soini announced his opposition to euro zone bailouts. Sunday’s vote, he says, is a “referendum on Portugal”.

Hell yeah. Might be the first true politician in power in Europe...

He's anti-euro and anti-EU...

After vetoing loans to Lisbon, Mr Soini’s ambition if he enters office, is a roll-back of the EU to a free-trade union before what he sees as an inevitable euro zone collapse.

“The Irish people have my every sympathy,” says Mr Soini, a regular visitor to the country. His opposition to the Irish bailout, he says, stems from a situation “where the IMF and EU come ... and tell you what to do, and that is what is happening now”.

“For me economic monetary union does not function and cannot function with so many different economies. In the end default is inevitable in Ireland, and also in Greece and Portugal,” he said. “What I am afraid of is that this new economic governance is the federal structure, and that’s not what I want. I want to go back to the Stability and Growth Pact, which would have worked if France and Greece hadn’t breached it themselves.”

But he's not all good.

The True Finns have tapped a historical suspicion of immigrants – who make up 4 per cent of the population – to make immigration an election issue. Mr Soini’s popularity has soared after blog posts describing foreigners as criminals and asylum seekers “African gang rapists” and “parasites on taxpayer money”.

Campaigners from many political parties have reported verbal and physical abuse at the hands of True Finns campaigners.

Still it will be interesting to see if his party gets many votes... what happens if Finland gets out of the EU/euro...

Update : Results are in... but those are not the final results...
SUNDAY EVENING : ELECTION SPECIAL - ADVANCE VOTES INDICATE MASSIVE GAINS FOR TRUE FINNS AND A BAD NIGHT IN PROSPECT FOR CENTRE PARTY. YLE ELECTION FORECAST PREDICTS TRUE FINNS AND NATIONAL COALITION WILL BE LARGEST PARTIES

It suggested that the True Finns and the National Coalition Party would be neck-and-neck for the title of largest party in the country, with both scoring just under 20% and gaining just over 40 seats in the new Parliament. The SDP remain in third with 18.5%, ahead of the Centre Party with 16.4%.

That is crazy. Last election, True Finns party had 3.7% of the votes and now they have around 20%!

Another page with results :
Party Results

True Finns 19,2% 520918 votes 39 seats +34 seats

Crazy. They are on par with the two biggest parties..

National Coalition Party with 19.6% of the votes... and Social Democratic Party of Finland with 19.2%...
edit on 17-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
When do the results come out? The sooner Germany gets back to the Deutschmark, the better.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
We just took a huge step backwards with this right-wing voting. At least we got one pirate in there but I'm seriously disappointed by the result. Seems like fear mongering is the best tool here too.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
We just took a huge step backwards with this right-wing voting. At least we got one pirate in there but I'm seriously disappointed by the result. Seems like fear mongering is the best tool here too.

Well if at least this guy can kick out the globalists shills in power in Finland or create a movement of anti-EU/anti-euro... the better.

But yeah, calling immigrants trash like he is, he shouldn't get power.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I personally don't have anything against €. It's a good currency. Way better than what we had before, the finnish mark.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Totally agree, as of right now PS party is up 34 seats from 5 to 39 that's a massive change.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Actually I take it back. We didn't get that one pirate in there

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Actually I take it back. We didn't get that one pirate in there

Well that is sad. I like the Pirate party.

Will The Finnish Vote Dead End Europe's Bailout Bonanza?

The early Finnish votes are in and it does not look good for Portugal. As Reuters reports, Finland's anti-euro True Finns made huge gains in an election on Sunday, raising the risk of disruption to an EU bailout of Portugal. The right-leaning National Coalition topped the ballot, gaining just over a fifth of all votes. Party leaders will start talks soon on forming a new government. The problem is that as the anti-euro moniker indicates, the True Finns are pretty much hell bent on vetoing the Portugal bailout which means the ongoing annexation of Europe's periphery by Olli Rehn is about to finish (and yes there is a finish-Finnish joke in there somewhere). Per Marketwatch: "Early results Sunday from Finland’s parliamentary elections suggest the anti-EU bailout True Finns party will hold the second-most number of seats and could even be part of a coalition government. Such an outcome may mean the EU’s planned bailout of Portugal is vetoed by Finland, a move that would roil the euro-zone markets. With half the votes counted the True Finns were on 19% support, and on course for 41 seats, tied with the Social Democrats and one seat less than National Coalition Party’s predicted 42-seat haul, the BBC reported. Finland is the only euro-zone country that requires bailouts to be approved by its parliament. Strong gains by the True Finns could derail a planned rescue for Portugal."

That's gonna be fun.

Finland, after kicking the butts of the Soviets in 39, are kicking some expansionists totalitarians butts yet again... yes, that would be the EU. Finland, one of my favorite European country.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I'm not for the bailouts but I fear this right-wing 'patriotism' is going to end up biting us in the bum. Let's see what happens next.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Good for Finland!
Any move away from the Globalist EU monstrosity is a good thing.. Saying no to the Banksters, Globalist and IMF is becoming more and more popular.

new topics

top topics

join