It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick Of...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Some of the following topics discussed to death here on ATS, that I'm absolutely sick of include some of the following:

*Threads where people "predict" an event, or tout the "predictive powers" or some youtube weirdo. Some stupid and/or crazy fool on youtube uses pseudo-science and a bunch of made up nonsense to attempt to "predict" some event that never happens. However, right up until the date of this alleged cataclysm, those of the pro-prediction crowd are all up in peoples' faces telling them how right this youtube imbecile is. Then, of course, those fools have nothing to say after the fact.

*Threads written by religious zealots requiring us to "love one another" and "give ourselves to the [their] lord". Um...no. I'm fairly sure that in my time here on earth, I've learned enough about the world to concretely state that nothing you can say or do, no threat, no cajoling, no sly misinterpretation of your holy works...none of it will sway or influence my personal view of the world. You can pray until you're blue in the face. You can denounce my choice of paths (and the irony of people who practice "love and tolerance" spewing hate and vitriol at someone who doesn't agree with them is not lost on me) and tell me how wrong or sinful I am (because sin is fun and fulfilling) all you like. Go read your scriptures and await your rapture. I'll be drinking and carrying on and having fun in the meantime.

*Pseudoscience threads written by people who only have a basic understanding of a concept. People...seriously...very few of you are legitimate experts. Some of you watch some youtube videos or read some nonsense on a website and all of a sudden you're an expert in one field or another. Just stop. You're insulting us and embarrassing yourselves.

*"S&F"...I freakin' hate that. Some of you...the best reply you can muster for a thread is "S&F for you!" or whatever other variation of that statement. I don't star and I don't flag because it really has nothing to do with actual content of a thread. Idiots are always impressed with the mediocre.

*For those of you who seem like you're so smart, engage in heated debate and then use wikipedia as the sole referrence to support your argument...or those of you who only use wikipedia for your quest for knowledge...you're a fool. I could go up on wikipedia right now and re-edit everything that you use for your referrence. Doesn't something like that tell you that you'll need to do some actual research? With all of the boundless possibilities of the interweb, the best you can muster is a referrence from wikipedia? I can't abide by that and to me, whatever point you were trying to muster has lost all validity.

*People who watch some lame video and swear blind that it contains "intelligently driven craft" (a la the recent tsunami thread where people claimed a floating plastic bag was some kind of miniature, intelligently moving "ufo") when in reality, it's not. OR...those of you who want to believe so badly that everyone on television is a lizard person that any amount of video compression or glitching "conclusively proves" that whomever is a lizard person. Seriously...you people are idiots. Just stop. You're making the rest of us look bad.

*New agers/self-styled gurus - You...you just need to knock it off. Just because you were in some substance-induced stupor does not mean you have unlocked the mysteries of the universe. Your theory is just as valid as anyone elses no matter how stupid it is...but just because you believe it, doesn't make you more right than anyone else.

So...this thread might come down, it might not. People might reply. They might not. It doesn't really matter because I feel a whole lot better getting some of that off my chest.

Actually, I'm hoping that some of you can add your own gripes in this thread because perhaps that'll increase the quality of what's being said and done up here on ATS.

Thank you for your time.
We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I agree with you on many points. The one that bugs me the most is people that dismiss someones thread in the predictions forum. They are claiming something will happen in the future. When people say it will not, they are ALSO making a prediction about the future. Do they even realize they are doing this!?!?
Are they going to respond later and say that they were wrong about their "prediction"?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well, then here are some options for you:

1. Ignore the post completely
2. If it's truly horrible and unworthy of ATS, you can report it to a mod (though I did just discover at least one mod who has no sense of humor. Too bad for him/her; that's going to make for a long, sad life)
3. My personal favorite: Swoop in, latch on to one of the many absurd remarks in the post, and make some snarky, not-quite off-topic post in response. When the inevitable flame response ensues, strap on your flame-thrower, dive back in, and have at it!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

What would you like every body to talk about? since you are not capable of making choices of which threads to read.
Or are you referring to the threads that have titles that do not indicate that there will be some of the things you mentioned?

as far as gripes, there is really no point, since this is a public forum. unless one just likes to biotch.
edit on 17-4-2011 by infojunkie2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2011 by infojunkie2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

It's always nice to vent once in awhile. I do, in fact hope you feel better. Let me know if you need a hug....

Meanwhile, I have about 600 Chinese lanterns to string up for tonights big show. See you around

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

3. My personal favorite: Swoop in, latch on to one of the many absurd remarks in the post, and make some snarky, not-quite off-topic post in response. When the inevitable flame response ensues, strap on your flame-thrower, dive back in, and have at it!

Now if that isn't the textbook definition of trolling I don't know what is. Some of you newbies really need to study the older ATS threads to see how things are intended to be...Some of you also need to read the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when signing up for an account on ATS.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

*"S&F"...I freakin' hate that.

I don't star and I don't flag because it really has nothing to do with actual content of a thread. Idiots are always impressed with the mediocre.

S&F......................Just kidding. Since you are obviously way too serious to be on a conspiracy site. I have a problem with people not supporting their comments with facts. If it is not a fact then at least say so. If the thread is in the right forum, I do not see a problem with the posting of their information. I have been known to be a little critical from time to time.

Take a deep breath and go outside for a while. I do star and flag people that put the effort in making a good thread. If it is a good presentation they deserve the attention. By you not flagging a topic that you like, you are only suppressing more information from other members on ATS. If they do not know about the thread, they cannot add their 2 cents. Please support well thought out threads. It is just a cyber flag...

Since you do not star anbd flag, I will return the non-favor to you. Have a good day ATS patron.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
what annoyes me most is all of the people who create threads for quakes with a mag of less then 5 plus all of the of other threads on the same topic and yet they dont get removed.....

really stupid topics , and stupid replies . i have a set of people on here that i follow and thats it . all of the others i try to either avoid or ignore

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247

Now if that isn't the textbook definition of trolling I don't know what is. Some of you newbies really need to study the older ATS threads to see how things are intended to be...Some of you also need to read the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when signing up for an account on ATS.

Is 2 years long enough to wish for "the good old days"? I do agree that some people need to read the T & C's (even me sometimes). I have seen enough "old timers" that, in fact, do #3 though.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247

Some of you oldbies need to lighten up and get over yourselves.

You're really not that important.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I signed up for an account only 2 years ago yes, but I have been following ATS a lot longer than that.

"#3" is trolling, he specifically said he would derail the thread with off topic responses and those are the kinds of things that ATS isn't suppose to be about.

reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Lol this isn't about me and I never claimed to be important but ok if you say so...

Read his #3 again and then explain to me how he isn't advocating "trolling"? I don't have anything against anyone on this website, vets or noobs I'm glad you're all here, but just understand there are T&C that YOU agreed on when you signed up, and one of the golden rules of ATS is NO TROLLING.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

the earthquake crap destroyed the fragile earth forum. a thread will start out with random activity somewhere and will eventually be HEAVILY updated with constant reports of every blip the seismos are picking up. all that for 15+ pages with a lil doom n gloom in between for good measure of course. then people will challenge you to tell them it's "all natural", when in fact 95% of the locations they are going nuts over are some of the most naturally active on the planet.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yeah, the threads where the positivity police show up and tell me that they love me unconditionally make me pretty nauseated.

Threads where people spout their spirituality as fact.

Any use of the term "lower astrals." this one makes me particularly livid.

God squad threads.

Anything that reeks of hypocrisy, arrogance, idiocy, meanness, certainty.

AND: as a historian, any thread where amateur historians misinform others.

top topics

join