It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone seen this symbol?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hey cloudwatcher!

As Above, So below is connected to Hermeticism:

As above, so below

The Magician displaying the Hermetic concept of as above, so below. These words circulate throughout occult and magical circles, and they come from Hermetic texts. The concept was first laid out in The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, in the words "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing".[18] In accordance with the various levels of reality: physical, mental, and spiritual, this relates that what happens on any level happens on every other. This is however more often used in the sense of the microcosm and the macrocosm.

The microcosm is oneself, and the macrocosm is the universe. The macrocosm is as the microcosm, and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (usually the microcosm) you can understand the other.

Hermeticism: As Above So Below

I would suggest reading more about micro and macrocosm (and esoterism for symbolic studies.)

EDIT:

And about your pic. I would think that the words "As Above, So Below" and its meaning is captured in the image you posted.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Sambell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Your symbol looks exactly like a sigil I made back in 2002.

And it "corresponds" to the same "As above so below" This is how it was written in its entirety as it was received by me... the SIGIL portion of your symbol comes in a particular line which has "Make up" in the line... this letter was to be both M and W, forming the symbol you displayed in your OP. This was so that the line could read Make up as well as Wake up.

Battle of Wills

“Thy Will be done
On Earth
As it is
In Heaven”

For the above recitation
To prove beneficial,
The Student must trust the
Universal pattern
And find oneself
As a part of it.

For those that say
“But what about my will?”,
The answer comes
As your answer to the question…

“If it is to be my will, then who is it that initiates me?”

Do not forget the soil, in which you found your birth,
And the tree, from which you come,
And the fruit that you bear,
And what that fruit tastes like,
And why some humans farm.

Herein lies the answer
To the question
Posed by the notion
Of a difference
Between my will and Thy Will.

For you are the Farmer
And
The Grape.

The Farmer
Lives because of
The Grapes that wake up
And
Make up
The Spirit of the Soul.

If you are the Farmer
And the Grape
Then what say Ye
About the question posed
By the notion of
Ultimate separation
Between thy will and My Will?

“…And the Hills played as hills
And the Trees played as trees
And the Land was as land
And the Seas were as seas

For I am the Rain
And the Drowned Man.

I am the Rope
And the Hanged Man

I am the Cross
And the Christ

All Forever
Resurrected!”

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
"As Above, So Below" represents the idea of the Macrocosm and Microcosm. That below is made up of the same structure as the top. An order too organized to be random chance.

To bring it down to even simpler terms, what ever happened to you did so for a reason.

edit on 18-4-2011 by immortal coil because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2011 by immortal coil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
Ok. JingleLord and Donatellanator. Two of the funniest names I have seen at ATS. I have de-grumped myself and would like to work together with you while this thread is going because that is what we do at ATS. More brains are better that one. Right? Plus thinking about your screen names made me laugh and realize that only warm funny people would come up with names like that. I am going to borrow Jingle Lord for my own cat at Christmas if you do not mind. I have a hat with bells for him too.

Anyhow. So I have been reading that some think it may be a bind rune. Very interesting especially when compared with the 'binding' around St. Christopher's waist.

And since I am in Biology right now the symbol makes me think of a 'semi-permeable' membrane. Only particles of selected types make it through a semi-permeable membrane.

So maybe if we think outside of the 'symbolism box' we can do some of our own creative work with this.

Standing by.

Frater210, I'm glad you came back to share your knowledge. I know next to nothing about Alchemy and do not have a single book by Fulcanelli, so I've been googling like crazy.

The closest thing I found among the alchemical symbols I saw online was the symbol for vitrum/vitrium (Latin for glass) -- this symbol looks like a double X or a V with an upside down V over it.

That this symbol means "glass" is an interesting coincidence, because I kept thinking of "mirror" (or looking glass) when I saw Cloudwatcher's mystery symbol. "As above, so below" resonates with the idea of physical reality as a mirror of consciousness -- from subtle to gross.

Also I came across this symbol for vitrium in "The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz" in the Fourth Day of the book. It's in the alchemical symbols below the insciption that reads:

"Prince Hermes. After so many injuries done to the human race, by God's counsel, and by the aid of art, here I flow, made a healing medicine. Drink from me who can; wash who wishes; stir who dares; drink, brethren, and live."

This idea of healing is echoed in the Qabalistic meaning of the number in her NDE date (Sept 29, 2007) 9+2+9+2+7= 47. The meanings listed for 47 are: "Foolish, silly; A weeping; Cloud, high place, waves, fortress; Angel ruling Virgo; To clutch, hold.

Cloudwatcher's mystery symbol looks like stylized "waves." Virgo (which occupies the natural 6th house) rules healing & health in general. Virgo is ruled by Mercury (Hermes).

This becomes even more interesting when you consider the date of her NDE. The sun on Sept 29 is in Libra in the commonly used tropical zodiac. But if you were to use one of the sidereal zodiacs, the sun is in Virgo on Sept 29.

Also notice the day of the NDE -- 29 -- 2+9=11. Eleven is a number that keeps cropping up in the lives of people who are drawn to the metaphysical.

I feel that Cloudwatcher's mystery symbol is very powerful -- it has a kind of raw, archetypical power -- a universal symbol that can be found in many different cultures. I like the runes too. It's interesting that this alchemical symbol for vitrium is also a Masonic emblem for "Carpenter" ( Jesus?) and the rune "Inguz" is an emblem for "new beginnings" among other things. This resonates on so many levels.

The reason this thread caught my interest is that I'm now reading "The Divine Pymander" attributed to Hermes Trismegistus (Thoth? Odin?). It purports to be a translation of the original "Emerald Tablet" which practically opens with "As above, so below."

AuranVector

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The symbol looks to me like a couple of Celtic Runes:

www.lost-civilizations.net...

See:

" INGWAZ - NG: Fertility

Fertility of the joining of human beings, usually for a new life - a pregnancy. Finish what you are doing, tie up lose ends and start something new. Cannot be reversed. "

and

" OTHALA - O: Ancestral property - Inheritance

Freedom and independence through releasing ideas and things that keep you 'stuck'. "

It is as if the symbol you posted is simply a repeating pattern of the above Celtic Runes, especially the Ingwaz.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The last time I saw anything like that it was on the neck of Vin Diesel

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So maybe if we think outside of the 'symbolism box' we can do some of our own creative work with this.

Standing by.

This thread is making my head spin.

Just as religions all share a common thread, so do all the suggestions here. There is no definitive right answer. I hope that isn't what the OP wanted.

As for outside the symbolism box, a story:

My NDE was nowhere near as terrifying as her experience. I saw the things most important to me on the physical plane floating around in grey space... A voice kept telling me, everything will be okay... there is nothing to fear... death and life are cut from the same fabric of eternity. There is no reason to fear death when immortality is also within you.

It also told me to live my life more simply. After that experience my life has changed dramatically and most of it wasn't driven by my intentions... it was driven by coincidence and "following the path". Life has become more exciting and I no longer fear death.

Before then that was my greatest weakness...being afraid and considering the materialistic opinions of others too highly.

Perhaps the OP's weakness was revealed to her in symbolic terms... rarely does an answer just "pop out from the sky". Part of life's journey is to decipher and eliminate your bad traits and learn to be the best person possible.

I don't want to delve too deeply in the OP's life, but perhaps going back to before the accident and considering how the words "as above, so below" may apply would be of great service.

I am surprised no one has written the phrase in it's entirety. Here it is and an example of applying this law of correspondence:

2) Correspondence -- "As above so below; as below so above; as within so without; as without so within."

This law tells us that things which appear to be very different have attributes that are actually quite similar. It also tells us that by studying one thing we can learn about something else. That, for example, is exactly what statistical samples are all about. By examining a small portion of a population, a determination can be made as to what those same attributes are for the entire population.

How many times have you heard these lines? --- "By their fruits, you shall know them." --- "As you sew, so shall you reap." --- "Birds of a feather flock together." --- "He lied about this, so he's probably lying about that."

APPLYING THE LAW: Here's a way you can intentionally use the Law of Correspondence to understand other people. Carefully watch those people with whom you are planning to create a relationship. Regardless of the nature of the relationship, be it business, friend, or lover: Whatever you see them doing elsewhere, whatever you see them doing to someone else, sooner or later, given the means, the motive, the opportunity, and sufficient incentive, they'll be doing the same thing to you.

Here some more:

* As above, so below - As below, so above
* As within, so without - As without, so within
* As in heaven, so on earth - As on earth, so in heaven

As above - so below, as below - so above. As within - so without, as without - so within. As in great - so in small, as in small, so in great.

edit on 18-4-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Offerus' belt is marked with crisscross lines, like those seen on the surface of the solvent when it has been prepared according to canon law. This is the sign, recognized by all the Philosophers asmarking exteriorly the intrinsic virtue, the perfection and the extreme purity of their mercurial substance.

I have already said several times, and I will repeat again, that the whole work of the art consists in processing this mercury until it receives the abovementioned sign. And this sign has been called by the ancient authors the Seal of Hermes, Seal of the Wise (Sel des Sages, sel, salt, being put instead of Scel, seal, which confuses the mind of seekers), the Mark and the Imprint of the Almighty, his Signature, also the Star of the I Magi, the Pole Star, etc.

This geometric pattern remains and shows I up more clearly when the gold to be dissolved is put into the mercury in order to restore it to its first state, that of young or rejuvenated gold, in other words to infant gold. That is why mercury- that faithful servant and Seal of the earth-is called the Fountain of Youth. The Philosophers are, therefore, speaking clearly when they teach that mercury, as soon as the solution has been carried out, bears the child, the Son of the Sun, the Little King (Kinglet), like a real mother, since the gold is indeed reborn in her womb.'The wind-which is winged and volatile mercury-carried it in her belly', says Hermes in the Emerald Tablet.

Furthermore, we find the secret version of this positive truth in the Epiphany cake, which it is the custom for families to eat at Epiphany, the famous feast marking the manifestation of the Christ Child to the three Magi-Kings and to the gentiles. Tradition has it that the Magi were guided to the cradle by a star, which was for them the annunciatory sign, the Good News of his birth. Our cake is signed like the matter itself and contains inside it the little child, commonly called the bather. It is the child Jesus, carried by Offerus, the servant or the traveller; it is the gold in its bath,

OK, dude. Now my head is spinning, too. I am sorry that you do not have a reference library that includes Fulcanelli.
I have to stop posting about this. This happens to me a lot on ATS. Someone asks an innocent question and it blows up in to one of these 'occult extravaganza's'. I am just not up for it. And in fact not qualified nor allowed to really go any further than this on the subject.

I have posted the remainder of the quote from Fulcanelli. I know we have all heard of the Emerald Tablet. Right? That is where the 'As Above So Below' thing comes from. Well Fulcanelli seems to have thought the Emerald Tablet was important to the symbol in question as well. I know the quote above is long but I wanted to stop you from running all over cyberspace. The quotes above and the image of the bas relief are all Fulcanelli really had to say about it so it is all right here on the thread now. Alchemists don't use a set of dependable symbols. They are trying to trick you, after all. Fulcanelli is only trying to describe a 'sign' that appears on the 'Matter' at a certain 'stage' in the 'Work'. The symbols you have found relate to Spagyrics only. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I agree with Donatellanator; we are all barking up the same tree and that is what is really significant here. It is also an indication that this is a very important symbol of some kind. That coupled with the fact that it was seen as part of an NDE really I think means it is just for the OP. And I guess those lucky (or unlucky) enough to have been on this thread.

Anyway, for me to go any further would make me equivalent to some kind of parrot because all I can really say beyond this has been told to me by others and I have know way of knowing whether or not it is true. In fact I think I have already done enough damage. And so close to Easter. On which day I will be making 'Hot-Crossed Buns', by the way.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudwatcher

From your description and the image, it reminded me of XOHOX, which means, roughly, 'all of creation'. The word is, as I was taught, from an ancient language, spoken by the Gogs, the ancient energy patterns that both weave creation and flow from it.

If one draws a line through the center of the word XOHOX, it creates a mirror reflection of 'that which is above and that which is below'. Likewise, "XOHOX is forward and backward, it is above and below, upside down and rightside up. It is stability in all ways and forms." Additionally, as the 'language of all creation', "To hear XOHOX is to speak the sound of shifting wood, of babbling brook, of warm breeze and roaring flame .. it hear this is to embrace spirit itself."

There is much more on this, all very secretive, inner circle sort of information, and it is only ONE possible answer to your question. I was taught that those who 'received the symbol' are meant to 'aid the flow of creation'.

Best of Luck!
Yngona

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yngona

Trying not to hijack, but I really think it is neat when people come out of the woodwork (after yeeeears) to make their first post and I happen to see it! I feel almost like I am reading hallowed text.
Thanks for your thoughts, love the idea.

P.S. Who or what were you taught by and can you recommend any texts or sources to read? Thanks in advance!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yngona

Just wanted to agree. Great post. I have never heard of that before. XOHOX. I just like saying it.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

I hear what you're saying. You not here to teach a mini-course on Alchemy. Thanks for sharing this info on Fulcanelli -- it's really fascinating. So many books, so little time.

Those hot-cross buns look so good. Bet they cost more than a penny now (Mother Goose).

AuranVector

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I couldn't go through every post so if somone already linked this sorry but I remembered this as soon as I saw it
the oldest prehistoric artwork

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Kinda reminded me of a DNA Helix and a caduceus.
On it's side of course.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I hear what you're saying. You not here to teach a mini-course on Alchemy. Thanks for sharing this info on Fulcanelli -- it's really fascinating. So many books, so little time.

No. That is not it at all. I will answer any questions that I am able to. It's not that. It is mainly because pursuing this type of thing on ATS is a whole other order of 'research grind'. I will be here with you on this for days.
And because I have already added all that needs to be added to this thread regarding that symbol. I just know from years of experience that I am way out of my league (presently). In other words anything from me concerning this symbol beyond what I have posted is going to turn into babble. Look up the 'cynocephalus' if you are wishing for a symbol to understand what I am saying here.

Here. I don't want to be one of these. Also known as a Baboon...

So that is all. I have other stuff to concentrate on.

You are in luck with Fulcanelli. There are only two books; The Dwelling's of The Philosophers and Mysteries of The Cathedrals

You may ask anything you wish. U2U me if you like.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It is shockingly familiar to me, in fact for the past few weeks before I saw this, I have been drawing half of this symbol...so it seems we both have gotten similar symbols stuck in our minds recently, very strange...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Also, AuranVector. You might want to stick around. I alerted TimeWalker to this thread and he has been all over the Divine Pymander like white on rice. So you can ask him about that too.

I am finally going to S and F this thread. This is getting fun.

So now people have been seeing this in a dream lately and drawing it over and over? That is a little Steven Spielberg. I wonder if we are all going to start seeing it everywhere? Kinda like I am now...the chain link fence outside, the lattice above the porch, the pattern made by the stylized tail-feathers of a decorative aluminum garden rooster...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by donatellanator

Standing by.

This thread is making my head spin.

Just as religions all share a common thread, so do all the suggestions here. There is no definitive right answer. I hope that isn't what the OP wanted.

As for outside the symbolism box, a story:

My NDE was nowhere near as terrifying as her experience. I saw the things most important to me on the physical plane floating around in grey space... A voice kept telling me, everything will be okay... there is nothing to fear... death and life are cut from the same fabric of eternity. There is no reason to fear death when immortality is also within you.

It also told me to live my life more simply. After that experience my life has changed dramatically and most of it wasn't driven by my intentions... it was driven by coincidence and "following the path". Life has become more exciting and I no longer fear death.

Before then that was my greatest weakness...being afraid and considering the materialistic opinions of others too highly.

Perhaps the OP's weakness was revealed to her in symbolic terms... rarely does an answer just "pop out from the sky". Part of life's journey is to decipher and eliminate your bad traits and learn to be the best person possible.

I don't want to delve too deeply in the OP's life, but perhaps going back to before the accident and considering how the words "as above, so below" may apply would be of great service.

I am surprised no one has written the phrase in it's entirety. Here it is and an example of applying this law of correspondence:

2) Correspondence -- "As above so below; as below so above; as within so without; as without so within."

This law tells us that things which appear to be very different have attributes that are actually quite similar. It also tells us that by studying one thing we can learn about something else. That, for example, is exactly what statistical samples are all about. By examining a small portion of a population, a determination can be made as to what those same attributes are for the entire population.

How many times have you heard these lines? --- "By their fruits, you shall know them." --- "As you sew, so shall you reap." --- "Birds of a feather flock together." --- "He lied about this, so he's probably lying about that."

APPLYING THE LAW: Here's a way you can intentionally use the Law of Correspondence to understand other people. Carefully watch those people with whom you are planning to create a relationship. Regardless of the nature of the relationship, be it business, friend, or lover: Whatever you see them doing elsewhere, whatever you see them doing to someone else, sooner or later, given the means, the motive, the opportunity, and sufficient incentive, they'll be doing the same thing to you.

Here some more:

* As above, so below - As below, so above
* As within, so without - As without, so within
* As in heaven, so on earth - As on earth, so in heaven

As above - so below, as below - so above. As within - so without, as without - so within. As in great - so in small, as in small, so in great.

You're very fortunate, donatellanator, to have had an NDE. Most NDE's seem to be re-assuring, although some experience one of the hell worlds.

Your "I am surprised no one has written the phrase in it's entirety" leaves me wondering what source you are quoting. Your quote is not from the original Emerald Tablet. It's not in "The Kybalion" or Hauck's "The Emerald Tablet" or "The Secret Source."

What I have is directly from the beginning of "The Emerald Tablet" (in "The Divine Pymander"). "As above, so below" is in the very first sentence of the ET:

"True, without error, certain and most true; that which is above is as that which is below, and that which is below is as that which is above, for performing the miracles of the One Thing; and as all things are from one, by the mediation of one, so all things arose from this one thing by adaptation; the father of it is the Sun, the mother of it is the Moon; the Wind carried it in its belly; the name thereof is the Earth."

AuranVector

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It looks similar to a binding symbol, alot of witchcraft practicioners use binding knots for rituals or ceremonies, other than that the only thing i can think of is what you said more like a reflection probably of something your mind thought about such as a mirror before you went to bed

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
its 44 draw the 4 touching in that way in paint u will c

edit on 18/4/11 by impyroo because: forgot

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join