It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60+ Tornadoes in 20 counties, all in NC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
now im pretty sure by now you all have heard about that wicked storm from yesterday, but how many of you knew that a majority of those tornadoes touched down in north carolina? im still fairly new to nc (been here for 4-5 years) and since then i was pretty sure tornadoes didnt hit north carolina, and if they did it was extremely rare.

heres an article from our local news: www.wral.com...

there is some videos on there of the storms here in nc, especially raleigh.

my question is though, does anyone find it odd that that many tornadoes hit in one state that isnt very prone to tornadoes? im not a meteorologist expert, so maybe one of you guys will know and maybe someone in nc who has lived here for a good number of years can fill me in on the weather patterns here. i dont want to call it a conspiracy or anything, but something doesnt seem right.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
now im pretty sure by now you all have heard about that wicked storm from yesterday, but how many of you knew that a majority of those tornadoes touched down in north carolina? im still fairly new to nc (been here for 4-5 years) and since then i was pretty sure tornadoes didnt hit north carolina, and if they did it was extremely rare.

Not uncommon

www.tornadoproject.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

yeah, but those are over a period of time the most recent tornado from that list you gave was in the earliy 90s. we had 60+ tornadoes in one day.
edit on 17-4-2011 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm in Asheville and it was dam windy, glad we made it out ok.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm no meteorologist either but my family lives in Raleigh and they said they haven't seen tornadoes since the 80s. I heard this morning that between NC, SC, and GA there were 150 tornadoes yesterday. Pretty crazy.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

my question is though, does anyone find it odd that that many tornadoes hit in one state that isnt very prone to tornadoes? im not a meteorologist expert, so maybe one of you guys will know and maybe someone in nc who has lived here for a good number of years can fill me in on the weather patterns here. i dont want to call it a conspiracy or anything, but something doesnt seem right.

That's true they were rare, due to the mountains, just like where I am in Tn, they used to be rare here too ,due to the protection of the mountains, but not anymore, does makes one wonder.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Over 200 (or was it 300?) over the past three days, from Oklahoma to North Carolina.

Crazy weather indeed. The sad part - nearly 50 dead.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This may not be entirely on topic, but it is interesting and worth a watch, in my opinion.
Just a short(2:46) educational video on NationalGeographic.com.
Tornadoes101

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Yeah there really getting hammered right now.

I saw a story about a father and son that was killed when a tree fell on there trailer. The only reason the mother survived is because she decided to sleep in another room.

So tragic.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
"...the 62 tornadoes reported [in NC] were the most since March 1984...". news.yahoo.com...
-Western NC here. A lot of wind and floods up around Wilson's Creek. A rescue crew had to come in from Charlotte as water rose rapidly 8 ft!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I posted this on a HAARP thread earlier, seems to fit much better here. I have no idea if tornados act like this normally, but I do know NC and TN rarely have tornados. Or they used to be rare anyways.

www.youtube.com...

video of a NC tornado that divides then divides again, and throws muliple funnels out of one cloud. I thought it was interesting.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

i've lived in NC my whole life, and i have lived in various counties in nc, wake, cumberland, harnett, pender, pitt, new hanover, buncombe, i have never seen a tornado myself, but from living here and the news i have known about several. they are rare but they DO happen. thunderstorms arent rare here, and occasionally they bring nados.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
great thread you got here .

a month or so ago i created a thread called understanding tornados you might want to take a peak at it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Essan

yeah, but those are over a period of time the most recent tornado from that list you gave was in the earliy 90s.

That's because the list only covers the period to 1995

Anyway, this looks like having been the biggest tornado outbreak in NC since 1984 - when 42 people died.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by mayabong

Hi. Nice to see another from Asheville.

I love thunderstorms, but that wind I can do without.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

i'm a north carolina native (i live in thailand now) and my folks still stay in godwin, about 11 miles from dunn, which was a pretty hard hit area. they were lucky though one tornado passed within 7 miles of their place, but there was no damage. tornadoes are more common in nc than you think, but tornadoes like this are not. as you said more than 60 tornadoes at one time, that is indeed unusual. i phoned my dad yesterday and he said this was the worst that anybody can remember, and in his own words by far the weirdest thing other than there being so many tornadoes was the fact that they stayed on the ground for nearly 150 miles! very strange indeed. my thoughts and prayers go out to all the people of north carolina, God Bless.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The last three weeks have been nuts for weather in this state. Three weeks ago today we had an "unconfirmed" funnel cloud take down about 100 yellow pines and three century old oaks in the woods in front of our place. It was unconfirmed by the NWS because I wasn't going to stick my head out at 01:35 and look for it when I called the NWS. They were twisted off about 8-10 feet up and the damage path was visible from the hillside west of us . The path was about 50 yards wide. Since then the wind has blown more and harder than it has in years. Hurricane Hugo didn't do as much damage around here.

As for the flooding around Wilson's Creek...it floods there a lot. Every year or so there's campers flooded or washed away. Looking in the gorge around Brown Mountain Beach you can usually see a folding chair or piece of debris 40-50 feet up the sides. The creek is not very wide and the shoreline goes straight up in a lot of places so a wall of water or fast rising water is common. That's not very unusual, the volume of tornadoes are. Been living in NC for 25 years and this is the worst I can remember.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have one word for my theory as to why we are having so many tornadoes and earthquakes lately.......Niburu.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

edit on 30-4-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join