It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zahi Hawass Sentenced to Prison

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Zahi Hawass Sentenced to Prison

[url=http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/10246/Egypt/Politics-/Antiquities-chief-Zahi-Hawass-sentenced-to-one-yea.aspx]english.ahram.org.eg[/ url]

Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs Zahi Hawass has been sentenced to one year in jail on Sunday for refusing to fulfill a court ruling over a land dispute.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The article goes on to note the court has ordered Hawass be stripped of the ministerial portfolio for antiquities and fined. Will he actually serve any time or will the Egyptian military junta simply overturn the court sentence? My bet is on the latter. If not, what does this mean for Egyptology?

extra words extra words extra words extra words extra words

[url=http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/10246/Egypt/Politics-/Antiquities-chief-Zahi-Hawass-sentenced-to-one-yea.aspx]english.ahram.org.eg[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Funny that there isnt more news on this.

Its (as I type) now 7:35pm in Egypt, so one would think that if something had happened during the day to a very well known internationally famous person there'd be lots of stories about it.

The only reference I can find is the one you linked to. Nothing else.
Nothing on aljazeera.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zuul000

The article goes on to note the court has ordered Hawass be stripped of the ministerial portfolio for antiquities and fined.

Well it would be hard to strip him of his titles as he already resigned some time ago

Why Dr Hawass Resigned
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I think I will wait to see if there is any confirmation on this arrest story

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Egyptology came to a stand still with Hawass in charge . Too bad he didn't get 10 years . Hawass was a two bit dictator much more interested in his own grandios legend than anything in Egypt . What we know about ancient Egypt we knew before he aquired tenure from Mubarak the other dictator and then came a couple of reality tv stunt programs sponsored by National Geographic with Hawass cast as lead actor in a fiction series . With that fake flunky gone perhaps we can get back to actually archaeology , science and discovery . Hawass wanted to be the Elvis of Egyptology .

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Well it would be hard to strip him of his titles as he already resigned some time ago

He did resign as the museums were being looted during the revolt but the government called him back and re-instated him . He then went on tv to say that not much was missing from any museum but a few mummies were damaged . That's when Egyptian pyramid tour operators , archaeologist in Egypt and Egyptian archaeology students went nuts demanding that the government remove him once and for all . They all hate him .

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
Egyptology came to a stand still with Hawass in charge . Too bad he didn't get 10 years . Hawass was a two bit dictator much more interested in his own grandios legend than anything in Egypt . What we know about ancient Egypt we knew before he aquired tenure from Mubarak the other dictator and then came a couple of reality tv stunt programs sponsored by National Geographic with Hawass cast as lead actor in a fiction series . With that fake flunky gone perhaps we can get back to actually archaeology , science and discovery . Hawass wanted to be the Elvis of Egyptology .

Very well said. He was, I think, more about limiting knowledge than disclosing it. I have no sympathy for him, and I hope his influence will soon be gone from the field....

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The article goes on to note the court has ordered Hawass be stripped of the ministerial portfolio for antiquities and fined. Will he actually serve any time or will the Egyptian military junta simply overturn the court sentence? My bet is on the latter.

It would appear that the Egyptian Military Council is quite keen on prosecuting former regime members. Even Mubarak himself and his sons are facing prosecution, with his sons actually sent to prison to await their trials. I wouldn't assume that this turd Hawass will get off if they're willing to go so far as to lock up the former heir apparent and his father,

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Land dispute?

Thats only half of the story:

www.almasryalyoum.com...

www.almasryalyoum.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here is a good link:

english.ahram.org.eg...

Weil this is certainly a turn of events with the ongoing sage of Zahi Hawass, he is not someone I care very much for, he suppresses important information. If it doesn't fit with his preconceived mindset regarding Giza and the Sphinx it is hidden from us.

Maybe we will finally get some truth about what they have found.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hawass is illuminati, or working with them, to keep the truth of Egypts past from surfacing, which is why he was allowed to remain in charge of antiquities and given a free pass to remain incharge when he was legally supposed to retire. I seriously doubt anything will come of this.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There is also the Art Zulu branding Agency Scandal

www.beyondjan25.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

He was re-instated

On Wednesday, March 30th, Dr. Zahi Hawass was called from the Prime Minister Essam Sharaf in his office to be appointed Minister of Antiquities. In this video Zahi Hawass is addressing a message to all friends of Egypt.

www.drhawass.com...

But it is odd that there is no major msm story on his supposed arrest.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The article goes on to note the court has ordered Hawass be stripped of the ministerial portfolio for antiquities and fined.

He was re-appointed Minister of Antiquities since that thread was started.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by EgypTer

That chair is probably the best replica I've ever seen and I've visited the Egyptian Museum on many occations.....

the chair is REAL

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Am I the only one who looks up to Hawass and sees him as a good guy just trying to do the best he can with what he has? I mean, he has been basically charged with protecting every artifact and temple, and overseeing every single thing that goes on to make sure that history isn't being destroyed or altered. Just because he isn't nice, people act like he's the anti-christ. He just has a different type of personality that has been at his job for so long that it's completely tired of people mucking things up and being amateurs at what they do. That doesn't make him evil.

This is deplorable news to me and I think that Egypt has just gone crazy, to be completely honest.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

None of us really know why he was given a one year sentence....obviously he is connected to corruption. From what I heard from Egyptian friends in Alexandria, he was practically given a blank cheque book for his work and answered only to Mubarak.

Now that Mubarak has been whisked off to a military hospital (personally I think he's faking his heart attack), his 2 sons have just been handcuffed and taken off to prison while strong rumours are the women's prison is "refurnishing" a special room for Mubarak's wife.

www.beyondjan25.org...

www.beyondjan25.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
Am I the only one who looks up to Hawass and sees him as a good guy just trying to do the best he can with what he has?

Most likely, yes

I mean, he has been basically charged with protecting every artifact and temple, and overseeing every single thing that goes on to make sure that history isn't being destroyed or altered.

If he was so concerned about protecting, he would not have resigned as soon as the going got tough. That act alone proved he was in it for himself

He just has a different type of personality that has been at his job for so long that it's completely tired of people mucking things up and being amateurs at what they do. That doesn't make him evil.

His only concern is to keep anyone away from anything that might prove that the accepted story may not be the real story... Evil? Perhaps not... Shady? Most certainly

Remember all that fuss about the caves under Giza? The ones he wouldn't admit to or let anyone look?

uh huh "they don't exist..."

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They should give him immunity if he agrees to forfeit all of the records and knowledge he has suppressed over his years in charge... And then sentence him anyway.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

If he was so concerned about protecting, he would not have resigned as soon as the going got tough. That act alone proved he was in it for himself

He resigned on March 3 and was reappointed Minister of Antiquities on March 30. In the interceding 27 days he was still at-work but with the title of Interim Minister of Antiquities.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join