It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Releases Six Prisoners From Guantanamo Bay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The US, in collaboration with French authorities, have handed over six prisoners which were originally from France. A small plane took the men back to France where they will face a trial. This is a deal that has been in the making for at least a month because last month, French Foreign Ministry Officials stated they were talking with the US to make this happen.

www.breakingnews.ie
US authorities have handed over six French detainees from Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba to French authorities, officials said in Paris.

A chartered flight containing the six men was on its way to Paris and expected to arrive in the early afternoon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We can't really say at this point whether these men are guilty of terrorism or not. They are six of seven French men that were captured in Afghanistan two years ago. The fate of the seventh French man is still unknown at this point.

It is good to see that the US is releasing prisoners to be tried in their native countries though. We often forget, in this time of sometimes blatant violations of rights, that the US still respects other nations.

[edit on 7-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
CNN is saying only four, strange. What I find stranger is that they have to go to another country in order to be charged with a crime.

The four men, who were captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan on suspicion of fighting with the fallen Taliban regime there but never charged, arrived by chartered plane on Tuesday at a military base in Normandy.

Held for all of these years on a 'suspicion'. I hope the US government never 'suspects' me of something!

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Our system has become so arrogant and down right blind. We have become hysterical about terrorism. 80% to 90% of the men in Guantanamo are innocent, they were turned in for the $5,000 reward.

From a Frontline program:

"ABDURAHMAN KHADR: There's only, like, a 10 percent of the people that are really dangerous, that should be there. And the rest are people that, you know, don't have anything to do with it, don't even- you know, don't even understand what they're doing here.
One story, the famous story, I remember- two, actually. One is the father that was brought by his own son. The son gave him a gun and took him up to an American base and gave him up there and took $5,000 for him. That's one story. The second story is of a drug user, a person that, you know, was sitting next to me, not worried about being in jail, not worried about what's going to happen to his family, not worried about what he's going to get.
www.pbs.org...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Guantanamo Concentration Camp

graypantherssf.igc.org...

Those people are suspects, not convicted terrorists.

Also, ask your self this: what is an American Military prison doing on Cuban soil?
Hmm. . .could it have something to do with fundamental American legal rights and the lack of them outside of America?

Better not be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

[edit on 27-7-2004 by shanti23]

new topics

top topics

join